Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I Don't Need The Top Fifty

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rxfudd, Jun 5, 2001.

1. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm getting tired of trying to do research on med schools only to get dozens of top fifty lists. It is highly doubtful that I will be able to confidently apply to a med school in the top fifty (well...we'll see for sure in a few weeks) without feeling like I wasted 30 bucks. Are there any sites or resources that give average MCAT and GPA information for ALL schools, not just the elite of the elite? I think that US News and the like forget that there are a lot of us who might need to apply to schools that are more along the lines of "average"...

MSAR is ok, but many schools don't provide MCAT averages.

2. Mish550

Mish550 Member
    7+ Year Member

If you do a search on the non-top 50 med schools on the US news website, they should give you the releveant information!

Good luck!

3. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Click here and fill in the form. If you want a more general list, just select which state you would like to search under and they will give you a listing of all medical schools in that state.
    Once you select an individual school, you can obtain information about admissions, academics, financial aid, etc..

4. oceana

oceana Member
    10+ Year Member

http://www.medschool.com has a list of stats for all schools including osteopathic, foreign, and allopathic. You just have to go find the school profiles section under student community.

5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ShellBelle, the site you suggested keeps giving me errors, any suggestion?

6. abbeydesert

abbeydesert Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Shell's link worked ok for me- maybe try a direct link? http://www.medschool.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=FutureTense/Apps/MedSchool/CoreScreen/ShowMainScreen&DirectTransfer=1
    You might also try the PR site- they have an advanced search tool that lets you view schools by state, region, environment, etc. They also give stats for virtually every school, including osteopathic schools. The information seems a bit outdated (also true of the medschool.com info- especially tuition!), but it's at least a good starting point. Note the typo on the front page- it's not business school!
    http://www.review.com/medical/advancedSearchStep1.cfm?menuID=0&search=0

7. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks there abbey!!! :D Now it works my server's probably just acting funny!!!

8. oceana

oceana Member
    10+ Year Member

9. Popoy

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As I look for my medical school there... I notice that the information is REALLY, REALLY, REALLY OLD!!!

I mean the GPA avgs now are higher, the tuition is higher, there's more health professional degrees offered there, etc....

I wonder when they last updated their site?! :eek:

10. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not sure what school you go to, but I looked through about 15-20 schools on the site and they were all update in spring 2000 (i.e. data is for 1999).