I don't think I'll ever find a pharm tech job..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished up my first year in pharmacy school and I applied about 3 weeks ago with no callbacks. I've tried Walgreens, CVS, Cubs, Target, Walmart, Meijer, Osco, Dominicks and some hospitals. I've talked to people and they say it's because I have no previous experience in pharmacy and because they prefer to hire techs that aren't pharmacy students so they don't have to pay them as much and because their schedules are generally more flexible. If I don't get anything this summer I'll try to volunteer, but I have this fear that I'll end up a PS-4 about to graduate with no job experience in pharmacy at all. :(

Members don't see this ad.

bananaface said:
Are you at at a 4 or 6 year school? If you are at a 4 year school you are looking for an internship rather than a tech job. The two are completely different positions.

I'm at a 4 year school. I applied for some internships but didn't get any either. They are mostly looking for PS-2 and PS-3 students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, after 3 weeks you can certainly try again. Perhaps someone who had a summer position set up somewhere has decided to pursue another opportunity.

Definitely make sure you are speaking to district managers, as opposed to store managers. District managers typically do the hiring of both interns and pharmacists. They like interns, because they want to train you in their ways and retain you after school finishes. Plus, they will know the staffing levels at several of their stores and have a much better idea if there will be a spot available for you than a store manager will. Just call the pharmacy and ask for the district manager's phone number. If they ask why, you can tell them that you are a current student inquiring about internships in the area. But, you definitely do not need to use a store manager as your primary contact.

Once you have left a message or faxed a resume to a DM, give them 2-3 business days to look it over. Then, get them on the phone and ask them if they would be interested in setting up an interview for any open positions in the area. You need to follow through so that they know you are really interested.

I know alot of my classmates who waited until the very end of the school year had a hard time finding internships because many positions had already filled. Best of luck to you!

crossurfingers said:
I'm at a 4 year school. I applied for some internships but didn't get any either. They are mostly looking for PS-2 and PS-3 students.

Since you've finished your 1st year, you are now a P2. All students in my school received an internship if they wanted one. The chain stores want you now, so you'll work for them later. Follow Bananaface's advice and contact the DM for every chain in your area.

^^ I agree. Since the P4 (or P3 if you're in a 3 year program) students are graduating, positions will open up. Just be persistent; get your resume/cv to the district managers and call them to check up :luck:

I agree about contacting the DM, but I also think it's important to not only "cross your fingers" but also do some leg work. ;) If you walk into the places where you'd be interested in working, maybe you might happen to be in the right place at the right time. If the pharmacist needs you and likes you, you'd have one more person on your side reminding the DM to get things rolling on your placement. That's what happened with me.

I also agree that this is the perfect time to replace graduating students in your area, since they'll either be moving up in the company, or moving on to another company.

good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the advice everyone, especially bananaface. I'll give it a try. I've applied to some more hospitals that are more rural. Hopefully I'll get some callbacks soon.