I don't think I'm ready to take the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDFocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking the MCAT September 8th, but I really don't feel like I'm ready. I'm been reviewing Physics, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Biology all summer, but I just started doing questions, and I realized that I don't know a lot of the stuff.

The only section that I'm not worried about is verbal. I've been doing 5 passages a day since June, and I've gotten to be really good at it. I took a practice test yesterday and out of 49 questions I only got 11 wrong. I wish I could say the same for the other sections, for Physics out of 77 questions I only knew like 10, if I added the questions I guessed on and got right, then I got a total of 21 right, and in Biology, I got a little less then half of the questions wrong.

My family is pressuring me to take it. They think I should take it as a practice test, and that if I'm lucky :/ I'll do well. My sister who's a doctor now, took the MCAT 4 times, and she's also pressuring me to take it. In my head I'm like "Dude really? You took the MCAT 4 times and you're rushing me to take it? Its obviously not an easy test". She told me I should take it to see what it feels like on test day, but I'm not one of those people that freak out on test day, and what's the point of taking a practice test if you don't know how to answer most of the questions?

The next time the test is available is in late January. My master's program is intense and once September rolls around I honestly don't know how much I'm going to be able to study. The only time I could do hardcore studying is during Christmas break when I get a month off. I'm hoping before then I can study at least once a week for 4-5 hours. I'm really confused sorry this post is so long.

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you knew 10 out of 77 physics questions?

You should be getting at least 80% on each section if you want to be confident. That's like 60/77.

You should have been doing practice the entire time, after every chapter you went over. By the time people are done content review they've already done hundreds of passages. You had the right idea with verbal, doing some passages every day.

Who cares what your family thinks? I highly suggest to just cancel it and do it during a period where you have time to study properly.

There's no point writing the MCAT and wasting any resources unless you're confident of getting a 30 on the real thing. If you can't study during your masters period then don't study for it. Write it during a 2-3 month break if you have that, and if not then wait until your Masters is completed.

I'm astonished that you could only know 10 out of 77 questions after reviewing "all summer"...your review must not have been that intense or helpful because without doing any passages one should still be at least able to get 50% or 60%, and then the practice over time brings them to 80%+.

The only section that I'm not worried about is verbal. I've been doing 5 passages a day since June, and I've gotten to be really good at it. I took a practice test yesterday and out of 49 questions I only got 11 wrong. I wish I could say the same for the other sections, for Physics out of 77 questions I only knew like 10, if I added the questions I guessed on and got right, then I got a total of 21 right, and in Biology, I got a little less then half of the questions wrong.

My family is pressuring me to take it. They think I should take it as a practice test, and that if I'm lucky :/ I'll do well. My sister who's a doctor now, took the MCAT 4 times, and she's also pressuring me to take it. In my head I'm like "Dude really? You took the MCAT 4 times and you're rushing me to take it? Its obviously not an easy test". She told me I should take it to see what it feels like on test day, but I'm not one of those people that freak out on test day, and what's the point of taking a practice test if you don't know how to answer most of the questions?

Since you're not paying for it and your family's being lame, just take and void it. You are clearly not ready for the MCAT.

What are your scaled scores from the practices (I've never seen a 49 question VR...)? I don't mean to be discouraging, but 11 wrong out of 49 on VR isn't really that great (above poster already addressed the physics).

Last edited: