I don't wanna start any trouble, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtleboard

SDN Advisor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm never a big fan of questions like this, but I find the responses are somewhat useful.

Can someone give me the general perception of the CA allopathic medical schools and how they rank within the state?

I realize this is a silly question, but I'd like to know what the CA residents out there are thinking -- especially the premeds!

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, I'm only an applicant right now, but you said you were interested in what even the premeds think. Here is my best guess:

UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
USC
UCI/UC-Davis
Loma Linda

Of course, this is all very subjective. I think most people will agree that UCSF is the top -- probably more disagreement over which comes next between Stanford & UCLA -- I'm just thinking general reputation wise, nationwide, Stanford may still be considered a little bit better, although that may not be the actual case. After those three, while the remaining schools are all still very good, it's a pretty big drop-off (prob. b/c the first three are all pretty much considered to be "Top Ten" material). UCI & UC-Davis are kind of weird -- I actually know a TON of Californians who applied everywhere EXCEPT UCI -- I'm not exactly sure why, but people just generally weren't that excited by it. Applicants seemed more interested by Davis than Irvine. However, in talking to doctors, UCI seems to have a better rep. than Davis. Go figure. I've heard that Loma Linda is a good school, but I think a lot of people are turned off of applying because of their religious affiliation. Hope this helps.

As an MS 1 at UCI, I'd have to pretty much agree w/lilycat's rankings, although I'm not sure where to put USC in this mix, because I've heard wildly mixed things. If you put finances into the picture, USC would drop down quite a bit. If you put perceived happiness of medical students into the mix, UCSD drops down. As for the UCI/UC Davis thing: it's a NorCal vs. SoCal thing. UC Davis is the "ugly duckling" Northern Cal UC med school, and UCI is the same for Southern Californians. Most of my classmates are from LA, and wouldn't have dreamed of going to Davis. But they're from LA, and must be treated as mentally handicapped as a result.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, fiatslug, I agree with your observations -- I really have no idea where USC really should fit into the mix either. That was just my best random mix, mostly because I figured more people nationwide are familiar with USC than Davis or Irvine. The "ugly duckling" analogy was perfect -- that totally sums it up. Out of curiosity, what is your info. regarding UCSD -- it's one of the places I'm choosing between right now -- I assume you are going off of the same rumors I have, that students are wildly unhappy?

I was just wondering what either of you heard about USC. Specifics would be nice

Hmmm... California culture is quite intriguing.

Where do East Coast transplants usually settle in CA? LA? SF? SD?

T.W. of N.Y.C.

Hey timmy,
why the interest? Are you from NYC? I am, and I can't satnd living in detroit. I couldn't imagine living out in SoCal. Hell, 2 years and 5 months from now I'll move back where I belong; Between the Hudson and East Rivers!
DRC

Lilycat: yup, my UCSD impressions are all friend of a friend of a friend. I know the thought of Saturday classes is the product of some kind of evil mind. I would have gone to Davis in a heartbeat, had I gotten in, but in retrospect, one thing that's very cool about Irvine is pass/fail. I really can't imagine dealing with grades at this point--it would stress out my med school experience beyond compare. UCI has a reputation for having very happy medical students, which is by and large true, I'd say (though those of us from Northern California might argue with that
wink.gif
)

Sunlyght: the only specifics I've heard about USC is that they've had to teach some classes by video, because they overaccepted for one year and not enough people declined! I think they have a pretty gritty clinical experience at their hospital, which would be cool.

As for the question about east coast transplants, I'd say it's pretty even between LA and SF. LA is probably more of the "quintessential" Cali experience, although if you are into all the "new economy" stuff, SF is obviously far more exciting to be in.

Hey Fiatslug -- thanks for the info, although everyone can rest assured that UCSD has recently done away with Saturday classes -- yay for me! I kinda regret not applying to UCI in retrospect, b/c I've heard so much about the really high student satisfaction (but, it was my last secondary, and I was tired!). Still waiting on Davis (actually, any week now), but I think I'm leaning towards UCSD anyways -- talking to some current UCSD students has made me feel better about the school. I figure if I expect the worst, it can't be that bad, right?
wink.gif
(although I'm still crossing my fingers for 2 other schools...)

FYI - As of next year, Davis will be on a honors/pass/fail system. No more letter grades. They finally decided to get with the program.

As for school rankings, the only thing I would change about the previous postings is that I would list UCLA before Stanford. The Stanford name is still pretty prestigious (primarily because of the undergraduate campus), but the medical school itself (facilities and education) doesn't live up to its reputation. UCLA on the other hand has both the style and the substance, plus in-state tuition. Hard to beat that.

DRC,

Yes, born and raised in the Big Apple and the GREATEST city on Earth. I've never really liked CA, but I was interested in others' opinions on the state and its med schools.

The first rule of engagement is to know your enemy.
smile.gif

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

Tim,

As a native Californian, I'll throw you my $.02. Here's my take on the major cities.

SF: Only city in CA that even comes close to East coast city life. Unfortunately, living downtown means paying $bank$ for rent. Alternatives in the bay area are downtown Oakland (by Chinatown, they've really cleaned it up over the last few years) and Berkeley (which has great atmosphere but is fairly suburban).

LA: My hometown, I love it, but doubt I would if I hadn't grown up there. Basically, most of its suburban sprawl; mini-malls and tract housing and over-developed desert. However, there are a few select locations that are incredible. Westwood (UCLA) is fantastic, you can actually WALK places. Santa Monica has incredible beaches, and the area by the SM airport is pretty cheap (tho it's not on the beach). Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach are awesome and have great little 'downtowns'. East-Los, by USC, is a complete hole. If you move there plan on getting your car stolen.

Irvine (~50 miles south of LA): It's okay. Plan on getting a Honda/Acura and lowering it (I did
smile.gif
) I did my undergrad there, so I'm well-versed in the evils of Orange County. If you choose UCI, live in Newport Beach, preferably on the penninsula. Its a 15 minute drive from the campus (along PCH), but it has INCREDIBLE beaches. Because a lot of students/surfers live on the penninsula, its still relatively cheap too. Irvine's full of overpriced, cheaply built apartments and condos...Everything looks the same, so to me its basically suburban hell (but a great place to raise a family).

SD: Great city, much more mellow than LA. Again, if you're looking for big-city life, you won't find it here. Things are pretty spread out and laid back. La Jolla (UCSD) is the Beverly Hills of SD; it's beautiful but snobby. You can live cheaper in Miramar (with all the military families) or in Pacific Beach (with all the surfers). I'd choose PB...great bars, great beaches.

Davis: Lots of cows. Close to Tahoe. That's about all I know.

Anyways, hope this helps. Email me if you want further info.

-d
PCOM, Class of 2005

Why is "suburban hell" considered a great place to raise a family? I can't imagine more boring conformist kids than those coming out of Irvine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually went to high school in Irvine and I would have to agree with the paradox of a suburban hell being strangely appropriate for raising a family.

You see, it is so safe that kids can be kids without their parents having heart attacks over it. I think it's a good place for kids to go through their vulnerable teen years because they can't do too much damage to themselves. (Although among the more wealthy groups there is strangely high amount of cocaine use, but it's easy: if you're not rich you are not in that crowd)

What my point is that having a slightly sheltered upbringing can be sort of relieving for parents. I am only speaking for myself, but by the time I was out of high school I feel like I was past the phase where I could easily be swayed into doing drugs or stuff like that. So I entered college ready to learn about life but not willing to go crazy.

I would not recommend staying in Irvine for your whole life because college is where kids grow up and hopefully become "non-conformists". Irvine is not exactly the ideal college town.

But for medical school, after most of our growing up is done and our personalities are pretty much set, Irvine seems strangely appropriate again. Then, you can focus on studying and enjoy the beaches, but not worry about getting mugged.

I might change my mind later (after some contemplation) about some opinions I have stated here, but for now they seem accurate.

Originally posted by David511:
Tim,

As a native Californian, I'll throw you my $.02. Here's my take on the major cities.

SF: Only city in CA that even comes close to East coast city life. Unfortunately, living downtown means paying $bank$ for rent. Alternatives in the bay area are downtown Oakland (by Chinatown, they've really cleaned it up over the last few years) and Berkeley (which has great atmosphere but is fairly suburban).

LA: My hometown, I love it, but doubt I would if I hadn't grown up there. Basically, most of its suburban sprawl; mini-malls and tract housing and over-developed desert. However, there are a few select locations that are incredible. Westwood (UCLA) is fantastic, you can actually WALK places. Santa Monica has incredible beaches, and the area by the SM airport is pretty cheap (tho it's not on the beach). Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach are awesome and have great little 'downtowns'. East-Los, by USC, is a complete hole. If you move there plan on getting your car stolen.

Irvine (~50 miles south of LA): It's okay. Plan on getting a Honda/Acura and lowering it (I did
smile.gif
) I did my undergrad there, so I'm well-versed in the evils of Orange County. If you choose UCI, live in Newport Beach, preferably on the penninsula. Its a 15 minute drive from the campus (along PCH), but it has INCREDIBLE beaches. Because a lot of students/surfers live on the penninsula, its still relatively cheap too. Irvine's full of overpriced, cheaply built apartments and condos...Everything looks the same, so to me its basically suburban hell (but a great place to raise a family).

SD: Great city, much more mellow than LA. Again, if you're looking for big-city life, you won't find it here. Things are pretty spread out and laid back. La Jolla (UCSD) is the Beverly Hills of SD; it's beautiful but snobby. You can live cheaper in Miramar (with all the military families) or in Pacific Beach (with all the surfers). I'd choose PB...great bars, great beaches.

Davis: Lots of cows. Close to Tahoe. That's about all I know.

Anyways, hope this helps. Email me if you want further info.

-d
PCOM, Class of 2005

Hey,

UC Davis, I love it there. Yes cows and more cows, but I love the city. My husband went to school there also he was Assistant Coach for UC Davis Softball. We really loved the campus and the town. Bikes, bikes and more bikes. That is the way to get around in davis. I am from Northern Cal and Davis is the school I believe.

Michelle

Thanks for the lively debate on upstate v. downstate, Tim.

I've been accepted to SUNY Brooklyn, Syracuse and Stony Brook. Still deciding

David has said it all. I lived all my life in LA so I have moderate brain damage.
USC school and med center serves the migrates of East LA. See movie by same name. It looks like TJ or worse. Santa Monica is good, fun and you have a lot of sex w the marina girls. Hey, that's where I met my wife. Some professors at USC were fired 2 years ago because they never went to school
because of big private practices. I graduated from USC and had fun breathing the smog, noise, ugly billboards--enough. R.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Rik:
David has said it all. I lived all my life in LA so I have moderate brain damage.
USC school and med center serves the migrates of East LA. See movie by same name. It looks like TJ or worse. Santa Monica is good, fun and you have a lot of sex w the marina girls. Hey, that's where I met my wife. Some professors at USC were fired 2 years ago because they never went to school
because of big private practices. I graduated from USC and had fun breathing the smog, noise, ugly billboards--enough. R.

Rik, I see you've made it to the Allopathic forum as well. That's just scary !!! I thought you got accepted to UCLA Med and went to Community College. Now you say you are a MD from USC. Any relation to marina Homes?
tongue.gif

Dr T. There is no negative message sent by you going to a Community College. Where in hell do people get such trash? At my CC, med schools sent our recruiter to select the top student to go directly to med, DDS and law school. Would had to have 90 units w all sciences. Stanford came and I got admitted, passed on that and went to UCLA. I don't know if this still can happen--med and other prof. schools. There are many studies to show the success rate of graduating with a BS if you went to a CC. Let go of that worry, and worry about something else.

Chances of Acceptance

Ya know, it's never a good idea to mix alcohol and cocaine. Passed on Stanford to go to UCLA? Stanford Med came to your community college to recruit you, huh? Any relation to silver_eyess? I guess we should all bypass the application process and just go to Community College so that a recruiter will come out and accept us on the spot. No, this can't still happen 'doctor'. That is something we 'humans' call a dream. Buy an alarm clock and wake-up!!!! It's time for your highschool P.E. class.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

SEEK RIKTARDED -- MEAT

Meat. Good illustration. I use my real name. UCLA Undergraduate from CC. Try reading for comprehension. You don't care and you can stew all you want, idiot. Love to meat you, R. Interesting search of Meat.He/She has entered into a board range of attacks from evolution to Carib M.D. Always bitter, always ignored except for himself "maat". Do you want to talk about evolution for an hour. No. This guy has no degree, is not from California and opens itself to scrutiny by using search. Good-Bye lard ass. R.

[This message has been edited by Rik (edited 03-13-2001).]

Meat. Good illustration. I use my real name. UCLA Undergraduate from CC. Try reading for comprehension. You don't care and you can stew all you want, idiot. Love to meat you, R. Interesting search of Meat.He/She has entered into a board range of attacks from evolution to Carib M.D. Always bitter, always ignored except for himself "maat". Do you want to talk about evolution for an hour. No. This guy has no degree, is not from California and opens itself to scrutiny by using search. Good-Bye lard ass. R.

[This message has been edited by Rik (edited 03-13-2001).]

To: Marina Sex Guy, M.D. from USC

1) I think the word you are looking for is 'broad' not 'board'.

2) The way you described MEATING your wife is not flattering to her. If I were her, I'd kick you in the nutz. If I really wanted to be mean I could have been. There are a ton of jokes that I restrained myself from making.

3) I do not believe you passed up Stanford for UCLA nor do I believe you are a MD from USC.

4) Your posts are confusing and inconsistent. Perhaps if you learned some writing skills, I could use my extensive and perfect reading comprehension abilities.

SEEK COMMUNITY COLLEGE GRADS -- MEAT

Dr. Rik,

Last thing, don't make fun of my 'super' sister MAAT. Evolution is a worthwhile topic to spend hours and hours on. Not enough time has been spent debating the subject. If we only spent a little more time we could solve this little dilemma.

SEEK EVOLUTIONISTS -- REVEREND MEAT

Hey- I grew up in Davis. The amount of cows is a popular misconception. The only cow herd is at the Vet School on the Davis Campus. Other than that good luck seeing a cow. Yep, there are a lot of bikes, trees, and sun. The city keeps on growing, when I was a kid it was easy to bike from one side of the town to the other, now it's a journey. This is not new in CA, though. We're pretty good about paving over everything. The public schools are top notch in Davis. Figures- growing up there all my classmates were UCD faculty brats. Anyways, if you want to raise a family- this is the place to come. My parents were UCD. Longterm?? Watchout the central valley is like the inland empire down south. Once the smog gets going it takes a rain to clear the skies.

------------------
Nothing doing.

Reverend Meat
On 3-13, you say "That's just scary.I guess I better start seeking the 17 year olds in foreign schools medical schools. That way my big strong hubby can practice medicine in all third world countries. I wonder if I can practice law with my Doctored Stanford law degree"? "Seek BS Meat
Folks, this is a crazy person. A waste of time. I am out of here. GL Rik MD.

My sister and her husband went to UCD. They liked it so much, they named their new daughter Ella Davis. They keep pestering me about applying there...

Nanon

Reverend Meat
On 3-13, you say "That's just scary.I guess I better start seeking the 17 year olds in foreign schools medical schools. That way my big strong hubby can practice medicine in all third world countries. I wonder if I can practice law with my Doctored Stanford law degree"? "Seek BS Meat
Folks, this is a crazy person. A waste of time. I am out of here. GL Rik MD.

Dear 'Doctored' Rik, M.D.
tongue.gif

I guess you are just too smart to catch my jokes. Do I have to SPELL it out for you? Stanford must be heart-broken that you turned them down. If you are going to do a search on me then at least do a good job. Didn't you learn how to properly research a topic in Community College? Maybe you should have spent less time meating the 'marina' chicks and more time studying. Consider that as advice to give your kids. If they follow my advice, they might make it to a UC the first time around.

Do I have a shot

I don't care if you read the thread or not. Do yourself a favor, if you are going to make fun of me, at least do it properly.

SEEK CARDINALS FROM COMMUNITY COLLEGE -- MEAT

More love doc. I'm overwhelmed.
smile.gif
I'm also so glad to see you move on to harassing males. This is a big step for you.

Do you realize the Rikster thinks you and I are the same person. Don't you think that is amusing doc.

As for the topic:

Tim I'm curious why you are curious. You've kind of ducked the question twice.

SEEK TRUTH
MAAT

I did? I thought I answered it before. I wrote that there's a chance my life will take me there one of these days.

W.

So UCI is better than Loma Linda? I have heard of Loma Linda and some doctors I talked to back east where I went to school said it was very good. I hadn't heard of Irvine until this year. Religion aside, can anyone tell me about specifically: the quality of education and how they match?

Thanks anyone!

I have never seen a guy get karate chopped as hard as Rik did. Take it easy on the guy. My Gaishhh. may he RIP.

Homes("DO I HAVE A SHOT) story is not this bad because he didn't get into a California medical school from a community college. The tables were turned. Homes managed to attend a top 5 school and got into a top 50 medschool(Mount Sinai)--believable story, probably not true.....Rik's story is absolutely abominable. He went to a community college and got RECRUITED to go to Stanford. That's hilarious. But then it gets better, he thinks UCLA is a better fit for him, so he chooses LA over SF.

[This message has been edited by Norvasc (edited 03-16-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Norvasc:
I have never seen a guy get karate chopped as hard as Rik did. Take it easy on the guy. My Gaishhh. may he RIP.

Homes("DO I HAVE A SHOT) story is not this bad because he didn't get into a California medical school from a community college. The tables were turned. Homes managed to attend a top 5 school and got into a top 50 medschool(Mount Sinai)--believable story, probably not true.....Rik's story is absolutely abominable. He went to a community college and got RECRUITED to go to Stanford. That's hilarious. But then it gets better, he thinks UCLA is a better fit for him, so he chooses LA over SF.

[This message has been edited by Norvasc (edited 03-16-2001).]

I'm glad others saw the absurdity in his story. Gosh, I thought I was being nice with my little one-liners. I actually thought they were quite clever and funny.
smile.gif
I could've said what I really felt but then it would have been laced with profanity.

Rik, I hope you at least see how insulting your comments were to your wife and other 'marina' chicks. You gave me a whole treasure chest of material, but I played nice.

Norvasc, I loved how you told Rik's story while flattering Homes' at the same time. When did Brown become a top five school?
tongue.gif

I'm just kidding. You don't need to respond. Thanks for acknowledging the absurdity of Rik's story. Take care.

MEAT

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by scully:
So UCI is better than Loma Linda? I have heard of Loma Linda and some doctors I talked to back east where I went to school said it was very good. I hadn't heard of Irvine until this year. Religion aside, can anyone tell me about specifically: the quality of education and how they match?

Thanks anyone!

UCI is definitely better than Loma Linda. UCI students fare better in the match than Loma Linda students. I don't have the match statistics but I do have the impressions of residency directors. The education is good at Loma Linda.

1. UCSF
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
4. UCSD
5. UCD/UCI
7. USC
8. Loma Linda
9-125. Rest of the Medical Schools (Just Kidding)

Tim, you may not want to start any trouble but you do bring up an interesting point about California Medical Schools. As a whole, we are the most competitive state in the country to gain admission. I'm not saying we have the best schools, just the most competitive pre-meds. All private schools across the nation are filled with California transplants. I think we need to move some of those medical schools into California. Isn't NYMC, Chicago Med, Albany, Tufts, BU, Wayne State, and Einstein 50% Californians? Move those schools here, we'll raise the MCAT and GPA averages.
tongue.gif

SEEK HIGHER MCATS
CALIFORNIA GROWN GRADE A LAKERS' MEAT

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MEAT:
UCI is definitely better than Loma Linda. UCI students fare better in the match than Loma Linda students.

SEEK HIGHER MCATS
CALIFORNIA GROWN GRADE A LAKERS' MEAT

Not only that, but we can drink all the liquor we like!

Oh-so-proud to be an Anteater,
The Slug

Well THERE you are fiatlug. MJ and I were speculating on your demise. She simply thought it a case of MS-1 blues while I figured you'd slipped on some slug goo and brok-ed your typing fingers.

Glad to hear reports of your demise were greatly exaggerated!

Is mj a she? I woulda sworn she was a he!

I am alive and well, and spending copious amounts of time with the cold people; gee I smell purty! Our allegedly "systems-based" curriculum is really just a mismash of a month of anatomy here, 6 weeks of physio here, and back to the dead folks here for a bit. So we're having our very first lab practical on Monday, and it covers a BOATLOAD of material! I just post this so you can feel that sense of relief that comes from fondly remembering such a hideous time...

GOOD LUCK with the match! You know we're all pulling for you. Are you trying to stay in Cali? You know how much I love Orange County, and how I like to encourage anyone from the Bay Area to move down here.
wink.gif

(also I fell recently and madly in love with a 6'3" Irishman, so I'm not posting as frequently as I used to! Funny how a little lovin' will change one's sense of "free time!")

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fiatslug:
Is mj a she? I woulda sworn she was a he!

LOL Fiat...I don't know how I should take that. Last I checked, I'm very much a she.

Glad to hear all is well. 6'3 Irishman hmm. Maybe that's what's wrong with us Kimberli
smile.gif

mj

Sorry mj! That's just me being a pig, and assuming that because you are/were in IT (right?), you must be a boy. Forgive me--I worked for a dot-com, and there weren't many chicks in that dept! Hey, how's the whole process going for you? Whaddup?

lol...an understandable mistake...as director of info sys. I spend my whole day surrounded by stuff shirt old men VPs or 20 year old boys with earings...oh well as long as they can program, right...

applying next cycle I hope. Had my fill of corporate America...

good luck with your practical and that Irish stud...

mj

He speaks fluent Italian. Did I mention that? Do you know how much more romantic "Where is the train station?" sounds in whispered Italian? Sigh...

I just post this so you can feel that sense of relief that comes from fondly remembering such a hideous time...

How KIND of you. Thank you for reminding me HOW MUCH I've forgotten.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">GOOD LUCK with the match! You know we're all pulling for you. Are you trying to stay in Cali? You know how much I love Orange County, and how I like to encourage anyone from the Bay Area to move down here.
wink.gif

I actually only applied to east coast programs. I wanted to be be close to my brother and 5 yo nephew in DC; so ranked programs in PA, VA, NY - basically stuff within 6 hours. After the beautiful weather we've been having I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts. Oh well, TOO LATE NOW!!!

I probably will want to permanently settle in Cali (eek, EXCEPT the valley; 'course I did have a lowered car in HS, so maybe I could do that again if I ended up in Ventura!
wink.gif
), so will consider a fellowship or some research during my residency out here - connections ya know.

Anyway, you guys will be in the top 25 people I tell after I get the match details on Thursday. Fingers crossed for a certain program in PA, 2 1/4 hours from DC!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by mj:
Glad to hear all is well. 6'3 Irishman hmm. Maybe that's what's wrong with us Kimberli
smile.gif

I'll ADMIT IT - that is definitely a HUGE factor. ;0

I'm currently stalking a rock star to take my mind off the match - he's serenading me as I type (through my headphones).

He speaks fluent Italian. Did I mention that? Do you know how much more romantic "Where is the train station?" sounds in whispered Italian? Sigh...

Hell, "Where is the s**t house?" sounds better in Italian!
wink.gif

Congrats...does he have a brother?

like you really couldn't have said all of that in ONE message kimberli
wink.gif