Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

i don't want to be a kumquat!!

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by 236116, Dec 8, 2008.

1. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi, y'all. Looking for a little commiseration and some advice. :) I've been on SDN before but then I spent waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time with the "psychotic little bastards" known as pre-allo (and someone messed with my acct then, anywho +pissed+.) I've decided to refer to them as kumquats, so they don't know I'm talking about them. :ninja:

Here's the academic background:
    Left HS at 15 in 2000. GED in 2003, worked it. I did a term at the local CC in fall 05, made dean's list on 13 credits.

Fall 07, I finally made it back to school- the next state over's state school. Did okay first term, got a D in G Chem 1, C in lab, C+ in trig, A's in my other 3 classes in the spring. (I'm actually ok with the C+ in trig, I nearly got a 53 in it.)

I'm on a LOA from Other State, taking classes at the now-local-cc so I can make *some* degree progress. I should end up with B's through A's over 15 credits this term. Classes were Italian, Mythology, Oceanography, Creative Writing, and Personal Econ-- hits a lot of gen eds. Yay.

I'm not planning to go back to Other State, but rather transfer to My State.

Next term I'm scheduled for A/P, G Chem, Calc, French 2, Intro Psych. I'm thinking about dropping Chem and Psych and adding Bio 1 and another writing class (I like it and I'm good at it apparently). I need to take Bio 1 b/c my bio from Other State is Bio 2 at My State. I'd take chem either over the summer or in the fall- My State just totally redid their chemistry sequence and our transfer thingie isn't updated yet so IDK if it still goes. That and if it's the only class I'm taking, I can concentrate on it.

I had been considering majoring in Psych, but I don't know. I have this problem where I like a lot of stuff and can't figure out a major. :rolleyes: I'm debating between Psych, Linguistics (language track- French), Aerospace Engineering and/or an individual major concerning Paleontology. I don't want to do BioSci at My State b/c I don't like their program. I also want to try for honors. Some dingbat reminded me that undergrad's the chance I have to go stupid over special studies so do it already. (j/k, he's not a dingbat.)

So. Problems:
    1. How do I pick a major knowing that it won't matter much?

2. How do I push myself to do better in class when I can (literally) show up, fill in some blanks, and get a decent mark, without having even looked at the material?

3. I am so bored in/with class. Like, to tears. (Sorry if that makes me sound like a snot, it's not a character flaw.) Halp. I need motivation!

4. I'm 24 now. If I do a double/make room for stuff I'd really like to study, it would take 4 years after this term. Is that worth it? Bringing up my GPA notwithstanding, the 6 year plan? And that would make me 29 for entering, which isn't old, but I'm thinking about surgery.

5. Unrelated to the above, I'm thinking about EMT. :D Pros/cons? Not so much for omg!clinicals, just 'cause.

6. I've been kicking around Major Medical Center for an eon and I'm seriously getting cynical. Mostly office stuff, but I see all the politics and dirty laundry and nonsense that goes on. Plus/minus?

7. I'm really shy. People are scary and I know I need to go do EC's/volunteering- not just for medschool, but also for myself. Suggestions for taking the plunge?

Sorry for the novel. Any input is appreciated.

oh i totally forgot: subject line- i don't wanna be like them :( they're scary

#1 236116, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. dragonfly99

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    First things first. First you need to work on finding a major that you like and do well in. I would also recommend finding a college or university that you like and can stay for the next 3 or so years to finish a degree. Right now you are all over the place and that won't help you for application to any type of medical program (med school or other types).

Your grades in the past don't look so hot in science subjects, which isn't a good thing if you want to be a doctor. It seems like you're still learning what your interest are, and learning about yourself. In this situation I would see where you are in terms of general distribution requirements, etc. to graduate from a 4 year university. Then try to narrow it down to maybe 2-3 majors you would like. Try to enroll in a class related to each of these for the next semester. See which one(s) you do well in and like. Eventually you need to pick a major. I wouldn't say the major doesn't matter. The major does matter if you're not 100% certain you can get into medical school and that it's what you'll end up wanting to do 3-5 years down the line. Nobody can be sure they'll make it into medical school. That doesn't mean don't major in paleontology, but it does mean if you do that you better have a backup plan of what to do with your life (? work for a museum or get a graduate degree and become a paleontologist). Right now you are all over the place between wanting to be an engineer, writer, etc. You need to find some direction first and get your grades up before you worry about medical school.

Yes, politics can suck in hospitals. Unfortunately people are that way in general...not just in hospitals. I think it's human nature in some ways to look for conflict and to be critical of other people while we don't notice our own flaws.

3. NPEMTIV

NPEMTIV Accidentally Accepted
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    So disregarding the first paragraph that doesn't make much sense?? Here's my advise.

1. Base it on what you like. I did psych and loved it.
    2. Decide if you really want it or not. Thousands of half-way students fill up ADCOM offices every year.
    3. See #2. You may need to take time off and do some soul searching.
    4. No. If you can't maintain a good GPA its all for not.
    5. I have been an EMT-I for 7 years and have loved it. If you like stressful situations, pressure, etc...go for it. Pay kinda sucks though.
    6. I can't make out what you're saying/asking.
    7. See #2.

If you really want to be a doctor you sometimes just have to do things you really don't want to. I don't know many people who liked the Pre-med reqs but we've all done them.

4. 236116

... I don't actually want to major in AeroEng. I meant to strike-text that and I forgot how. :oops: I have a uni in mind, so that's set. I did have to drop chem so I can work more next term (economy, I hate you) but I'm still carrying 14 credits- calc and a/p among them. (I can only take evening/online courses with my schedule except 1 day/wk. :mad:) Science is the thing I consistently (well, usually) do well in- I have no idea what happened with chem, but I've got a textbook and drive. Just lost it for a bit, I guess. Better then then now.

I want paleo as a major, but it's an individual studies program, so it's really psych that's kind of a fall back if I'm not approved- on further investigation, ling would bore the crap out of me. The longer I think about it, the only classes I liked enough to take more than 1 class in were "real" science- even chemistry. So, paleo. Grad/museum would be the career-fallback. My geneds are all-but done, and the ones that aren't can only be done there- 3/400 levels.

I think I got caught up in not being a gunner and forgot that drive's not a bad thing... that knowing your direction isn't a character flaw.

edit: oh and right now i'm reg'd for bio 1... hopefully the scheduling issues will work out by feb??

#4 236116, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  5. 236116

So half of that I answered with my reply to dragonfly, but. If they ever offer EMT at a time when I can take it- not much scheduling flexibility with my job- then it's getting added come hell or high water.

The first paragraph... was here before as someone else, pre-allo gave me nightmares, I left 'cause I was getting lost. And now I found myself and I'm smart enough to know to point & laugh rather than getting invested in pre-allo again. :cool:

I... kinda... do... like them. The bio ones, definitely. :/ I'm kind of weird. I think g chem just kind of sucked. It happens- as long as it only happens once.

6. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Drive is fundamental to the path. You need it, especially when things get so tough that you just want to burn all your books and give up. The path is relentless...it gets harder as you go and hardly ever lets up. You have to want it, otherwise, I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone.

Don't confuse drive and motivation with gunnerism, which, in fact, has more to do with malice and getting ahead through malice than drive or motivation.

Good luck with the path. It's challenging, but if it's a something you have the heart for, you'll learn to endure the craziness, so that you can eventually do what you love.

7. NPEMTIV

NPEMTIV Accidentally Accepted
    Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    EMT is great and so yeah definitely if you can do it.

Haha...alright. I wasn't sure, but I can completely imagine that. :thumbup:

8. Joannavr

Joannavr Customer Disservice
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Keep in mind that "decent marks" are not going to be good enough for medical school admission. If you can get B's and C's (and nearly fail), while "filling in some blanks", you may want to figure out how much effort it takes to get all A's. I know that a 3.0 can get you into medical school with luck, but you need to be shooting for a 3.5+ if you want to be competitive nowadays. That means *mostly* A's, and preferably all A's in prereqs. You don't just need decent marks, the goal here isn't to just pass. You need excellent marks, the goal is to get to the next level.