I don't want to do anything this summer, and I need to be sure that's alright.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's still first semester of my OMS1 year, but I can already tell I'll need this upcoming summer off. All my classes are going well (except OMM, which I find hilarious) but I'm feeling the burn. By may of next year I will likely be severely burnt out and I want to do nothing my last free summer other than read, workout, sleep in, and play xbox. And travel. Lots of travel.

While I have a relatively good idea what I'm getting myself into by doing that, my classmates tend to believe it's a death sentence. I don't want anything exceptionally competitive, but I do know that I want a residency that OMM is not a part of. Like I said, I have good grades and am historically a decent standardized test taker. I'd probably say my top 3 are EM, Gas, and FM with that obviously being subject to change. My fiancé is also in class with me and will 99% go peds. Family will be a major priority in our lives, and we don't want a career that will take away from home life any more than being a physician already does.

Anybody have any insight or input on this? Classmates are all but calling me lazy and citing it as an irresponsible choice. I think getting my MBA over the summer and completing research then proceeding to burn out and fail a course next year would be the irresponsible choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to do what will make you happy and not necessarily what people "think" you should do. So I say stick to your guns.

If you think you'll burn out, the end of second year is the worst time to do it. You want to be ramping up the effort during spring semester second year, trying to review Step / Level 1 material while staying on top of your classes. Getting a bunch of dinky summer research will not save a bad score on the boards. None of the specialties you mentioned are research focused at all anyway. I vote for a summer vacation.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That vast majority of people at my school did nothing but take a break all summer. I did some research, but it was really laid back and I didn't get any publications out of it or anything. I enjoyed it but I don't think I have any real advantage over those who didn't do anything. Obviously if you decide you want derm or ortho or ENT or university IM then research becomes more important.

I did a summer internship, however, there are certainly times that I wish I would've just chilled. Second year was rough at times without taking a real break. Do what you feel you need to do, my friend.

Getting an MBA in one summer? Don't worry about that, it's not going to happen.

I had these plans to do all this amazing stuff plus review MS1 material. In the end, I traveled all over with my wife, and I visited family and friends that I had promised to visit for months (or in some cases years). It was worth it.

That said, I feel like I could have done something more. Two months is a huge break, especially after a year of med school. The trips were worth it, but I spent the few weeks before the semester busy on something completely pointless and unrelated to fun or medicine. I should have either committed to spending more time with people/fun or done something productive like contacted docs for shadowing/research that I could continue into the semester. I managed to do some of that during the semester, but it would have been much easier if I had set it up beforehand.

Whatever you do, don't make my mistake. If you aren't going to really enjoy your entire break, decompress for part of it, then do something productive. Not taxing mind you, just productive.

Reactions: 2 users
Getting an MBA in one summer? Don't worry about that, it's not going to happen.
I should have added a little context to that. My school offers a medical MBA with classroom courses in one summer. The rest you can do online at your own pace as long as you finish before you graduate.

I had these plans to do all this amazing stuff plus review MS1 material. In the end, I traveled all over with my wife, and I visited family and friends that I had promised to visit for months (or in some cases years). It was worth it.

That said, I feel like I could have done something more. Two months is a huge break, especially after a year of med school. The trips were worth it, but I spent the few weeks before the semester busy on something completely pointless and unrelated to fun or medicine. I should have either committed to spending more time with people/fun or done something productive like contacted docs for shadowing/research that I could continue into the semester. I managed to do some of that during the semester, but it would have been much easier if I had set it up beforehand.

Whatever you do, don't make my mistake. If you aren't going to really enjoy your entire break, decompress for part of it, then do something productive. Not taxing mind you, just productive.

Thanks for the advice. I am usually the type to get bored if I'm sitting around too much not using my brain. I think a solid 2-3 weeks would be all it would take for me to get stir crazy. I'll probably volunteer at my local clinic and see if I can work on my H&P skills over the summer. Not exactly resume building but spending my time practically. I'll be on the other side of the country from where my med school is, so no good contacts will be made in the immediate area.

I should have added a little context to that. My school offers a medical MBA with classroom courses in one summer. The rest you can do online at your own pace as long as you finish before you graduate.

That's actually kind of intriguing. I wonder how intensive the summer courses are. Sometimes after adapting to the pace of med school I feel like any other kind of learning would be a piece of cake. That's probably hubris on my part though.

Members don't see this ad :)

Didn't know LMU offered D.O./MBA

That's pretty cool.

I'm in a similar position. Looking to go into IM and want to take my MS1 summer off. I might do light shadowing and improve my H&P skills but this is the last chance I'll get to relax. I'm running on fumes going into Thanksgiving break. The only thing keeping me going is knowing I'll have 2 weeks off for winter break.

1st semester is hard. You won't feel as bad at the end of 2nd.
I second this, I also second taking off being fine. I did, and I don't feel like it hurt me. Most of my classmates did as well.

I think this is school dependent.

At my school, the first semester is tough, but it's not as bad as the second semester, or so I heard. During the second semester, we do neuro/immuno/MSK/lymphatics/and psych beside OMM/clinical medicine/and two other social science course. I'm definitely dreading it.

I meant in terms of adjustment. Every school has a different curriculum, and 2nd semester material is usually substantial. But you'll be better equipped to manage your time effectively, study efficiently, know the expectations of your professors, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
figure out what you want to do.
google something like "hospital xyz speciality abc GME residents"
Find the residents. Usually they will give a brief summary and CV.
Find out what got these people into speciality abc at hospital xyz. You should have something comparable by the time you graduate. Just realize that your opinion of what you want to do will change a billion times. The more stuff you have, the more options you have.

You answered your own question in your post. Research is probably the one thing that make be worth giving up a summer for. BUT don't do it unless you are really passionate about it. If you are already feeling burnt out, relax because second year is a marathon with boards at the end of it. Like many said it isn't going to hurt you at all to chill out for a summer, and may only really have any benefit for certain fields. At the end of the day do what makes you happy for sure

Ya totally school dependent. Also depends on what you had coming in. For instance some schools have anatomy till 1/3 of the way through second year, some schools have anatomy all first semester

Your classmates are dumb for calling you lazy. The only time you should take off, and absolutely not worry about anything medicine related is the summer after OSM1. Do NOT worry about it. The only thing I did over the summer was a medical trip to Honduras for a week, and that was with a bunch of my medical school friends so it was actually a lot of fun. I went to Germany for a couple of weeks, worked out, and played titanfall all summer and don't regret a single thing. Just remember, your summer break is the last summer break you will ever get, so go crazy and live life.

Save board studying for second year.

So here's my advice. Make a list of all the productive things that you want to accomplish during that summer. This includes things like research, shadowing, extra study time, volunteering at hospitals, etc. Then next to each, put the steps necessary to accomplish this goal. Then, and this is the most important part, spend the rest of your summer making sure you don't even come close to accomplishing any of them. The end of the summer should result in one of two things. You got in better shape because you needed a sweet beach bod. Or you got fat because you drank a lot. Either one means a successful OMS1-2 summer.

Reactions: 4 users
I worked a serving job on a lake which made me some extra money, let me live on the lake, and was a fun job. I had research from before med school but I haven't been asked about that or why I didn't have anything from the summer between M1 and M2 at any interview I have been on. Do what you think will be best for you and don't worry about what everyone else is doing. I had friends that did the MBA program that summer and while it was fine then, they are struggling to find the motivation to do the online stuff now. Do what you want and forget the rest. Med school is stressful enough, don't make it worse on yourself. Also for what it's worth one of my friends who is doing the MBA thing has not been asked about it on any interviews and she is realizing it might not be helping as much as she thought it would (it will probably help in real life more than for residency). I enjoyed my summer, made some money and was much happier for it.

I'd try to get some research in at some point, especially if your looking at a remotely competitive field to match into. You're going to be competing against MD applicants in your match who have that research, etc.

I did a lot of networking with my summer off. If I land the residency that I want, it will mostly be because of this. I would at least email some physicians who are connected with a residency program you are interested in.

I'm applying FM right now, I took every break I was given to spend time with family. I don't regret it, I'm getting great interviews, and I'll match just fine. Virtually every interview I've been on has been something along the lines of "we really liked your application, let us explain why we are the best program for you". It's super relaxed, I'm being wined and dined, and I've had more invites than I can attend. Zero questions about research or EC's in med school.

Take the summer off, recharge your batteries, and make second year about getting ready for step 1. A good score there will make life so much better in 4th year.

If you match to an MD program you can kiss OMM goodbye after step3, it's what I definitely plan to do.

Reactions: 2 users
I did a lot of networking with my summer off. If I land the residency that I want, it will mostly be because of this. I would at least email some physicians who are connected with a residency program you are interested in.

Curious, how did you network? Did you shadow these docs or just email telling them you're interested?

Curious, how did you network? Did you shadow these docs or just email telling them you're interested?

both.

if you go to a school that has a residency you are interested in associated with it, it is a huge disservice for you not to take advantage of it during the first two years. even if you don't have a residency associated with your school, i still think it helps to contact physicians associated with residencies you are interested in. i would even contact physicians who aren't associated with a residency to start building a relationship. find out what they like about their specialty and what they dislike. ask what a typical day for them is like. stay in touch. try to shadow. become best friends.

call me arrogant, but there were students in the classes above me who had competitive residencies locked down even before taking boards because they knew how to network and take advantage of the resources they were given. there are currently students in my class who have received the nod and wink from physicians/residents/PDs at residencies associated with my school. the DO world is all about networking; board scores are just the icing on the cake.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Looking at NSU's curriculum on their website, there are courses listed for Fall, Winter and Summer terms for both M1 and M2. Does this mean Nova students don't get the summer break, while students at other schools do? Or is there some kind of built in significant gap between their semesters that is different from undergrad?

I have a friend at an MD school who just spent his summers reviewing material. He got a 260 on step1. Got involved with research as an MS3. He says board scores are unequivocally the most important part of your application. He matched ENT. I'm probably going to follow his advice. Don't worry about ECs so much. Just get some research after you take step1. Enjoy your summers! (Study of course though)

both.

if you go to a school that has a residency you are interested in associated with it, it is a huge disservice for you not to take advantage of it during the first two years. even if you don't have a residency associated with your school, i still think it helps to contact physicians associated with residencies you are interested in. i would even contact physicians who aren't associated with a residency to start building a relationship. find out what they like about their specialty and what they dislike. ask what a typical day for them is like. stay in touch. try to shadow. become best friends.

call me arrogant, but there were students in the classes above me who had competitive residencies locked down even before taking boards because they knew how to network and take advantage of the resources they were given. there are currently students in my class who have received the nod and wink from physicians/residents/PDs at residencies associated with my school. the DO world is all about networking; board scores are just the icing on the cake.
But you can only do this for residency and not fellowship right? While in med school I mean

But you can only do this for residency and not fellowship right? While in med school I mean

What do you mean? Like get connections for residency in med school vs. get fellowship connections while in med school? Do both. You can get better connections while in residency though. It also helps to aim for a residency with a connected fellowship.

That said, I knew a guy who did research with the director of a fellowship. The director not only convinced the residency PD to interview him at a program that is decidedly anti-DO, he also convinced him to rank the DO near the top by saying that the DO student is guaranteed a spot in his fellowship.

What do you mean? Like get connections for residency in med school vs. get fellowship connections while in med school? Do both. You can get better connections while in residency though. It also helps to aim for a residency with a connected fellowship.

That said, I knew a guy who did research with the director of a fellowship. The director not only convinced the residency PD to interview him at a program that is decidedly anti-DO, he also convinced him to rank the DO near the top by saying that the DO student is guaranteed a spot in his fellowship.
That's pretty badass

That's pretty badass

Yeah, that was my reaction too. I mean obviously he had the CV for the positions, but were it not for that fellowship PD, there's no chance he would have gotten that residency spot (because of how arbitrarily anti-DO that program is). I really need to find a fellowship PD like that guy :p.

Reactions: 1 users

I know a few students in my class who are very tight with some of the fellowship PDs who were in charge of a couple of our system courses.

Make connections. Not only do they help your professional career, but the PDs and associate residency instrcutors are some of the most inspirational people I have ever met. A lot of them have truly taken the time to reach out to me and act as mentors. Keeps me fired up especially during those ****ty med school nights.

I know a few students in my class who are very tight with some of the fellowship PDs who were in charge of a couple of our system courses.

Make connections. Not only do they help your professional career, but the PDs and associate residency instrcutors are some of the most inspirational people I have ever met. A lot of them have truly taken the time to reach out to me and act as mentors. Keeps me fired up especially during those ****ty med school nights.

This is really very true, and I've experienced the same. I never really had "mentors" outside of the DO who wrote me an LOR for my med school apps (wasn't in the field I'm interested in, but great guy and gave good advice), and I never thought it would give me such a boost in motivation until I reached out and found some amazing docs while in med school.