I don't want to freeze my bum off!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeygirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All. I'm a So Cal resident who doesn't do well in the cold and needs to apply out of state... Any So Cal residents out there who've had an easy transition to an out of state school? (to the different weather, culture, etc) If so, which school are you at? I know there are many beautiful places in the country, but I haven't had a chance to seen many except the ones on the other coast.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Monkeygirl said:
Hey All. I'm a So Cal resident who doesn't do well in the cold and needs to apply out of state... Any So Cal residents out there who've had an easy transition to an out of state school? (to the different weather, culture, etc) If so, which school are you at? I know there are many beautiful places in the country, but I haven't had a chance to seen many except the ones on the other coast.

thanks

Hey, I'm a socal guy finishing up school on the East coast. There are a few of us out there turning into ice cubes. I'm at UPenn. Amazing school. The weather is not as cccold as Boston or NY. That being said, I'm still freezing my bum off and can't wait to get back. There's something to be said about seeing a different part of the country and experiencing East coast culture. People are completely different. First off, I didn't find them as "in shape". The weather sucks and there is less motivation to get to the gym for the "endless summer". Secondly, I felt as though they were more rude and not nearly as laid back. The one thing that really got to me over the years was not the weather or the culture. I really missed having my family close by. Mind you I'm not saying that I want to live with them! Ideally, I'd have them an hour or two away for an occasional visit.

UCLA2000 said:
Hey, I'm a socal guy finishing up school on the East coast. There are a few of us out there turning into ice cubes. I'm at UPenn. Amazing school. The weather is not as cccold as Boston or NY. That being said, I'm still freezing my bum off and can't wait to get back. There's something to be said about seeing a different part of the country and experiencing East coast culture. People are completely different. First off, I didn't find them as "in shape". The weather sucks and there is less motivation to get to the gym for the "endless summer". Secondly, I felt as though they were more rude and not nearly as laid back. The one thing that really got to me over the years was not the weather or the culture. I really missed having my family close by. Mind you I'm not saying that I want to live with them! Ideally, I'd have them an hour or two away for an occasional visit.

Yeah I know what you mean, when I visited Philly many years ago, it noticed that people were more uptight than back at home. Also, I was sorta shocked at all the super greasy foods that everyone eats there all the time and how out of shape they look. It's much easier to exercise here when the weather is in the 70s. My friend went to Pharm School in Baltimore and completely hates it! I was thinking about U of Miami, but it is also far from home. I am like you-- being an hour or so away from home seems ideal. Do you know anyone who went to Oregon H & S, U of Arizona or U of Nevada? I heard that Oregon gets a ton of California applicants. UPenn is a great school though and at least it isn't so cold like you said.

Members don't see this ad :)
Monkeygirl said:
Yeah I know what you mean, when I visited Philly many years ago, it noticed that people were more uptight than back at home. Also, I was sorta shocked at all the super greasy foods that everyone eats there all the time and how out of shape they look. It's much easier to exercise here when the weather is in the 70s. My friend went to Pharm School in Baltimore and completely hates it! I was thinking about U of Miami, but it is also far from home. I am like you-- being an hour or so away from home seems ideal. Do you know anyone who went to Oregon H & S, U of Arizona or U of Nevada? I heard that Oregon gets a ton of California applicants. UPenn is a great school though and at least it isn't so cold like you said.

I'm living northern CA, but originally from the midwest. A change in culture and weather from CA to anywhere else in the US is hard to get used to. I have heard people who like it at OHSU, also U of Washington (doesn't get as cold as some places, plus it's still west coast.) U of Nevada is pretty impossible to get into unless you are a resident, and U of AZ is pretty difficult as well. Tulane is a big one lots of CA residents apply to, also, Saint Louis doesn't get as cold as farther north (Washington U and Saint Louis U). Wake Forest in NC, Baylor in Texas, and Emory in Atlanta are other warmer possibilities. I've heard FL schools are pretty difficult to get into if you're OOS (but maybe not U of Miami?)

Keep in mind though, med school is only 4 years - could be a great opportunity to explore the world a little bit...you can always go back to SoCal. Applying to some schools in Chicago and/or New York would be a good experience.

thanks for your imput! Anyone else?

Monkeygirl said:
Thats probably because Baltimore sucks. I should know! The east coast in general is not laid back. It is very busy around here. I found going to the midwest for interviews to be almost a culture shock.

University of Arizona isn't open to anyone who isn't an AZ resident or WICHE , sorry.

I'm from San Diego. Waiting to hear about my UCLA interview, or else its East. Please god, no snow.

drhouse said:
I'm from San Diego. Waiting to hear about my UCLA interview, or else its East. Please god, no snow.

I hear ya man. For me, if UCSD doesn't take me it's Midwest snowville for me.

Will you guys get over yourselves?! I'm almost embarrassed to call myself a SoCal resident after seeing this thread. Going to another state is NOT like going to another country! It is not that big of a deal. You might need to get a much heavier jacket and learn how to drive in inclement weather, but it's not that bad! I grew up in the midwest before moving to California and I spent quite a bit of time on the east coast. There are definitely differences in culture, that's for sure, but if anything going to school in a totally different environment should be an experience of a lifetime. Make the most of the opportunities that you have and experience something new for once!!!

You should try Houston, TX. Weather can get a little schizo here, but generally the winters are mild. For example Christmas Eve 2004 it actually snowed. 365 days later, I'm outside in my shorts and the weather is awesome.

I've come to know several Cal/SoCal residents who've grown to love Baylor. I'm starting to think BCM may be the perfect school, despite the fact I'm hell bent on getting out of Houston for med school.

You know, it funny this thread came up. Although I go to school in North Chicago, at least half of our class is from Cali. And I have to admit, I used to laugh at them when they whined about 40 degree weather (last week it was in the single digits). But when they get used to the cold, they can walk around in 30 degrees without jackets. Its nuts.

On a side note, its still hilarious to see some of them come close to creaming themselves whenever they see 2 inches of snow on the ground. :laugh:

MD Rapper said:
Agreed, and I'm from CA too. There are many great things outside of our wonderful state... leaving just may be the change you need anyway. That was indeed the case with me.

I only agree with one thing you said: yes, our state is absolutely wonderful. :D We don't know how good we've got it until we're about to be forcibly exiled. Okay true, going out of state will be good life experience, but I suspect all it will do is strengthen my love and devotion to the golden state and encourage me to be more grateful for what I have when I finally get a chance to return. However, seeing how competitive Californian residency programmes are as well, it may be a quite a while before I get to return to the west coast. :( The prospect of the next 8 years in exile makes me very depressed.

I'm not from Cal, but as a new orleans native I'm also concerned about freezing if I end up in any of top choices b/c they are in the North East and Chicago. As for the other topic, according to most national stats,my fair state is not overly concerned about physical fitness, but hey I don't know to many people here who aren't usually happy here...