1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I dont want to get a degree. I just want to go to med school now.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sillymetodaynow, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sillymetodaynow

sillymetodaynow Membership Revoked
    Removed

I am going to start my senior year at Madison this fall. I mostly have the upper level biochemistry classes to take and P-Chem. I realize that biochemistry relates to medical school but our university teaches biochem in such an analytical way that I have been told it doesnt even really relate to biochem in med school. P-Chem certainly has no relation to material covered in med school nor do the upper level biochem labs.

So in summary, I dont want to have to finish a degree and learn a bunch of crap that does not directly relate to med school. I just want to start med school now.

(maybe I am just frustrated because I am sucking up physics II this summer )

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Senior year was my favorite year at college. Enjoy it.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree - college is going to be the best 4 years of your life. Don't waste it.

Additionally to the OP -college is supposed to be the time to take all sorts of things that will not relate to your future career -- to make you well rounded. You will get plenty of med school classes in med school. And you will find that even the first two years of med school classes will not likely directly relate to what you do as a clinician, just perhaps give you a foundation for later learning. Learning is a process, not an end.

5. KrispyKreme

KrispyKreme Member
    2+ Year Member

senior year plus this year off that i'm taking now in DC are ridiculously fun. don't be in a hurry, take some time off and enjoy life before you don't have time anymore. otherwise you just end up bitter.

6. MossPoh

MossPoh Textures intrigue me
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just enjoy it...it is hard now but when you look back it'll seem golden. It has been like that for every level of education for me so far. elementary school i was stoked about going to middle school where I could take "real courses" then I hated it...repeat with high school...but the thing is when I left I always realized it was never really that bad.....you just always hold in your mind that the next level will be better...sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't..in this case you'll be kicking yourself when you think back about how much you wanted to start your little study hell earlier. :p

7. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you hate your life now, wait until P-Chem. Seriously. I got the hell out of there and took Pharm and Immuno instead. That s is WHACK! :laugh:

8. sillymetodaynow

Removed

Our P-Chem is an absurdly hard class. Most people I have talked to dont even try to get an A. They all just settle for Bs.

9. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "Settled" for Bs. God Forbid!

10. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know! :eek:

11. xanthomondo

xanthomondo nom nom nom
    Removed Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if you get through pchem 1 you should enjoy pchem 2

remember though all biological processes are explained through chemistry...so really your chem classes are relevant

especially pchem1...thermodynamics plays a huge role in all molecular processes

plus im always fascinated to see the subjects and research that people dedicate their lives to... its always interesting to get a taste

12. sillymetodaynow

Removed

The average admitting GPA at madison this past year was 3.81 so not too many people settled for Bs during their undergraduate. I guess you have a different perspective.

13. WhatUpDoc!

WhatUpDoc! The Sign Says It All
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I felt that way about half-way through my senior year (appropriately, right after I got my acceptance). Don't worry about it. Most of what you have learned throughout undergrad hasn't been medically related and senior year is no different. Just chill and make sure you get the grades you want and your first day of gross anatomy will be around in no time. :thumbup:

14. Schaden Freud

Schaden Freud MiSanthrope II
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The solution to your problem lies in a six-pack of beer.

15. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No, that's a median of the accepted applicants. You'd figure people with really high GPAs will get accepted, but will not matriculate (since with a high GPA they will likely matriculate to a higher tier school). That skews up the median. The GPA for people who matriculate is probably a few tenths lower.

16. CavalierMD

CavalierMD Secondary Stalker 4-Lyf!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is more to life than medicine *gasp*. Take some fun classes... psychology, philosophy, literature... become a person, for crying out loud. And, if you must relate everything back to becoming a doctor... I have two words for you: bedside manner.

17. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Troll reincarnation thread, so closing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.