I dontknow what to think anymore!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I am just so confused. All my life I planned on going into surgery but at decided recently that IM was what I love to do and now talking to everyone-they all give me different opinions. My main concern is that I have a 218 step 1 and a 231 step 2. No publications, passed all 1st and 2nd year classes and passed all 3rd year rotations. Now my problem is I want to go somehwere in So. Cal, but I am getting tons of people saying with my stats I have no chance in hell. Than others saying I shoul dapply and have a good chance. I am getting such split advice I do not know what to think. Is an application such as mine above solid enough for so cal or not? ( I am not talking only top programs either-cedars sinai for example is my first choice ) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely apply. I've heard of people w/ less stats than yours receiving interviews at some southern california schools. you have nothing to lose.

TheCat said:
Well I am just so confused. All my life I planned on going into surgery but at decided recently that IM was what I love to do and now talking to everyone-they all give me different opinions. My main concern is that I have a 218 step 1 and a 231 step 2. No publications, passed all 1st and 2nd year classes and passed all 3rd year rotations. Now my problem is I want to go somehwere in So. Cal, but I am getting tons of people saying with my stats I have no chance in hell. Than others saying I shoul dapply and have a good chance. I am getting such split advice I do not know what to think. Is an application such as mine above solid enough for so cal or not? ( I am not talking only top programs either-cedars sinai for example is my first choice ) thanks!
If you have any doubts about getting an interview, you should do an away rotation at the program you want to go to. You really have nothing to lose. Also, you should talk to the internal medicine PD at your institution and see what he has to say about your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
TheCat said:

Go for it! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Scores and grades aren't the only factors!

You may not get the top academic places but you should have a good shot at very decent community programs.

Oh, and welcome to the light side. :p

Listen man, don't fret and don't listen to whatever garbage people are spewing at you... You board scores are more than sufficient to garner interviews at nearly every community program including the best ones (Scripps Green and Scripps Mercy, Cedars) and several academic ones including USC, UCI, LLU, and perhaps Olive View and Harbor UCLA. The most important thing you can do is to do well on your 4th year clerkships (SubI in medicine) and choose a few schools that you have a reasonable shot at getting into (like the ones I just mentioned) and do a subI there on the medicine service, MICU/CCU, or medicine subspecialty service. Work your arse off, have your residents/attendings put a good word into the program director for you, meet with the PD yourself and express your interest in the program. You're more than competitive enough to get into one of these places. It's really not rocket science... The whole visiting student rotation is all about enthusiasm, being a responsible and hard-working team member, and having fun with your team! Good luck and don't sweat it man! You'll get in somewhere no prob! Remember, you're applying to medicine not derm! You'll get into a good program in SoCal if that's what you want!