I "earned" a M on the August MCAT, how do I improve this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooolguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know I am not a horrible writer, yet I dont know how I got an M on the writing sample in august. Do you have any tips on how to improve this score, where I should look for information on it, etc. Please Help

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have messy writing? THat may hav ebeen it?

To get only a P for the MCAT, all you really need to do is follow the directions and not make any blatant grammatical errors. If you want to do any better than that, I would suggest you practice with some of the sample questions available on the emcat site. What I also did was read the wikipedia articles on law, history, art, literature, the russian revolution, various painters, etc and studied the aamc examples of good essays that they have on their website.

Be sure to spend 5 min planning your essay before you start and leave 3-5min at the end to proofread. It's hard at first, but the ideas and the writing come much faster after a few practices. With all of that, I managed to hit an R

Members don't see this ad :)
Follow the instructions very carefully, try to write as much as you can, and use very specific examples. Kaplan's method of pre-writing for minutes at the beginning also helps to focus the writing. I got an S.

Who cares what you got on the writing section. To be honest with you, nobody really cares about it anyway. Its too subjective to be any sort of measure of ones ability to communicate.

Well, in the US, I've heard it doesn't matter so much, but in some Canadian schools, it can really help your operative MCAT score or drag it down. However, I will agree that it is very subjective.

To get only a P for the MCAT, all you really need to do is follow the directions and not make any blatant grammatical errors. If you want to do any better than that, I would suggest you practice with some of the sample questions available on the emcat site. What I also did was read the wikipedia articles on law, history, art, literature, the russian revolution, various painters, etc and studied the aamc examples of good essays that they have on their website.

Be sure to spend 5 min planning your essay before you start and leave 3-5min at the end to proofread. It's hard at first, but the ideas and the writing come much faster after a few practices. With all of that, I managed to hit an R

I thought this was true. But I knew this and I got an M. Im not an idiot and I had a good checklist. this thing is a crapshoot.