I edited tons of Personal Statements on SDN, no one is responding to help me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

impact2d

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT today, and am trying to submit today or tomorrow. Despite having the MCAT I was a personal statement reader on the personal statement thread. I edited a bunch of personal statements and helped out a ton of people, but no one has responded to any of my requests.

Anyone willing to take a look at my personal statement with a fast turnaround?

Members don't see this ad.

I get free editing through tutor.com. If you want, inbox it to me and I can have them take a look and then send you back the edited word doc. Let me know.

I took my MCAT today, and am trying to submit today or tomorrow. Despite having the MCAT I was a personal statement reader on the personal statement thread. I edited a bunch of personal statements and helped out a ton of people, but no one has responded to any of my requests.

Anyone willing to take a look at my personal statement with a fast turnaround?
Not to sound like a douche, but you probably shouldn't edit other people's PS when you are studying for the MCAT, doing AMCAS, and working on your own PS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to sound like a douche, but you probably shouldn't edit other people's PS when you are studying for the MCAT, doing AMCAS, and working on your own PS.
Also, helping your competitors is a bad idea. Unless you edited them to make them worse then :thumbup:

yeah I'll help you out if you still want another reader. I have a lot of free time so it'll probably be a fast turnaround for ya

I'd be happy to help. I received some very useful feedback from SDN users when I was polishing mine, only fair to return the favor.

PM me and I'll try to get you a fairly detailed response by Saturday or Sunday.

My background (non-trad) is in journalism if you're worried about the relative merits of my editing.

I wish I could help but it seems that everyone I messaged just abandoned their account. Was hoping for a quick grammar/second opinion but cant find anyone

If anyone wants a read through for grammar or flow I can read it immediately if you PM me right now. If a lot of people PM me I'll eventually have to decline though...

I've never listed myself on the PS reader list because I haven't applied or written my PS, but I won 2nd place in a statewide writing contest in high school. :p

Edit: For the record, if no one PM's me I won't be offended at all, just offering.

MS-0 here. I can also read your PS for flow or grammar if you're looking for more feedback..

I kind of agree with this -- at least outside basic grammar stuff. Even as someone accepted at a fairly large number of schools (and offered interviews at half the places I applied), I try to be pretty conservative when giving people suggestions on their PS. The fact is that even adcom members can't always tell you what is "good" or "bad" simply because that is so subjective. Nevertheless, some questions to ask yourself:

Does my PS give people a view of who I am and why I am "unique"? (Even though you're not in this applicant pool...)
Does my PS give a view of my life journey that at least appears to naturally and inevitably lead to medicine?
Does my PS integrate 1 or more life experiences as mentioned within the PS into my goals?
Are my goals expressly stated in my PS?
What are the overall "themes" of my primary app? Who will I be known/remembered as by the adcom (i.e., "The EMT," "The Olympian," "The D1 Athlete," "The Future Psychiatrist," etc.)?
Does my PS fit the overall theme of my application?
Does my PS have a logical structure? (Not a written outline....)

I can give it a look if you want. Just send me a PM. I will be an MS1 so I am not competing with you. I will check it mainly for content and flow rather than grammar as English has never been my strong suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me know if you need a hand bud. Incoming MS1, will read for content and flow.

Let me know if you need a hand bud. Incoming MS1, will read for content and flow.

It's getting harder to have someone look over PStatements. I've pmed a bunch of members but also didn't get any response. I am also trying to find a reader if anyone has some free time.

Have you PMed the users that offered to read/edit in this thread? I'd be happy to help and can probably get you feedback pretty quickly

Send it my way impact, I'll be glad to return the favor

are there any good professional websites to use? I always wondered.

I'd be happy to read yours. English/writing are definitely my strongest points and I was originally pursuing a career in journalism so I'd be more than happy to help you out! Just PM it to me!

I didn't feel right messaging people in this thread out of the blue who had offered to read someone else's PS, but would anyone here mind reading mine? I am currently working on making sure that my message is clear, and would love to have some more feedback.

Thanks!

Finally done with my own. Be happy to read/edit/proofread OPs or anyone else's PS

Thanks all, I got a few responses in the first day, big thanks to everyone. I submitted last night!

are there any good professional websites to use? I always wondered.
Some say essayedge. Quick google will give you a number of responses. Never used them though, since one quote was $400 per one hour per one statement edit.

As someone just SIGNIFICANTLY helped with mine, I will certainly return the favor. Feel free to PM it to me. I will not provide grammar edits though because I do not feel qualified to do so. I will however provide you with my opinions on your substance, which is what I really needed help with :D

Status
Not open for further replies.