This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neruoscience PRE-MED

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Valid message

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just retake the classes you've failed, I think you'll be ok :) it's good that there's an upward trend in your grades. As long as you have a strong MCAT score, I think you are pretty solid for DO programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
If I were you, if you want to do an MD then you might need an SMP.

If you're trying to go DO, I'd just do the retakes and focus on killing your MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for the confidence btw. I might try to work full time for a year or two then apply. I should also mention I just turned 21 so Im still fairly young as well.

Thank you guys for the confidence btw. I might try to work full time for a year or two then apply. I should also mention I just turned 21 so Im still fairly young as well.

Your cGPA is low for MD. If that's the route you're aiming for then an SMP might be in your best interest or stick with DO and kill the MCAT. Also, did you ever get your depression addressed? That's going to be important before you step into the arena of med school.

Your turnaround is very impressive and we like come-from-behind stories. It's in our DNA.

Your GPAs are fine for any DO school. IF you live in a lucky state, your state MD schools might throw you some love with a good MCAT score.

I can't recommend a post-bac/SMP until you try one app cycle.

Alright, these are my grades

With theses stats and no MCAT score do I stand a chance at Post-Bacc DO/MD Programs? If so Witch should I consider Applying? I would apply to DO schools too but I dont have an MCAT yet since I cant afford to take it yet.

Reactions: 4 users
What about MD schools? Any hope for me there? or should I just stick with DO? I don't really care where I end up. Also, do I need ORGO 2 and ORGO 2 Lab to apply. I know for a lot of the ones I read they put a ** and said highly recommended.
In my opinion it will be pretty tough to bring up your AMCAS gpa. You're better off going DO because the AACOMAS uses grade replacement, so if you've failed a class and retake it for a good grade, only the second grade will factor into your GPA. The AACOMAS calculation is much more forgiving so I'd say you have a shot there since you did well in biochem. As for taking Orgo 2, it will help increase the number of schools you can apply to. Some require it and some require biochem, you'll have to look at individual schools' websites as there is no rule to who does what. IMO you should work really hard to do well in Orgo 2 to show you can do better in harder classes than you initially struggled in.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Your cGPA is low for MD. If that's the route you're aiming for then an SMP might be in your best interest or stick with DO and kill the MCAT. Also, did you ever get your depression addressed? That's going to be important before you step into the arena of med school.

Yeah, I honestly ended up using my depression and raw emotion as motivation to do well in my last year and half of college. Sorry for the ignorance, but what is SMP stand for?

I know this is out of context and irrelevant, but neuroscience is spelled incorrectly in your name. lol

I have 4w's and 2 NP's
But I'm still trying. Not even at 4 years. Let's do our best :)

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I honestly ended up using my depression and raw emotion as motivation to do well in my last year and half of college. Sorry for the ignorance, but what is SMP stand for?
SMP stands for Special Master's Program. Many colleges around the country have a 1-2 year program which you can get a master's in something medical related. Typically these are associated with a med school, and (depending on the school) take classes and be graded along side actual medical students. Many people think of SMP's as an audition for med school. SMP can backfire though, if you do not do well 3.6+ then you risk of not being accepted due to not being able to show that you can do well in the med school setting, and be left with a large debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't EVER do a SMP if you are just considering DO only, just retake courses.

Don't EVER do a SMP if you are just considering DO only, just retake courses.

I mean, if you're retakes suck major ass- then perhaps but even then- if after taking it again and not pulling the grades, a reconsideration of profession might be in order.

I mean, if you're retakes suck major ass- then perhaps but even then- if after taking it again and not pulling the grades, a reconsideration of profession might be in order.

I agree, after some point one must call it quits. Then again it also depends on the classes. If it takes you 4 times to pass theoretical physics, I don't think retaking this class multiple times shows you are not cut out for medical school (just made the poor choice to take the class). However, if this were just college level general chemistry, then this would be an issue.

I agree, after some point one must call it quits. Then again it also depends on the classes. If it takes you 4 times to pass theoretical physics, I don't think retaking this class multiple times shows you are not cut out for medical school (just made the poor choice to take the class). However, if this were just college level general chemistry, then this would be an issue.

That's very true! Also, I apologize for the poor spelling in that last post. Autocorrect is the most worthless invention. The "your, you're" thing is a pet peeve of mine. If you can't pass Gen Chem by the second try...you might be better suited for something else lol.

DO schools dont calculate retakes now, they just average them out. SO retakes wont help much. what is your cGPA and sGPA without retakes, if you average out the grades?

"Basically now I have a 3.3 GPA and about the same science GPA. "

this is above the screenout point for most schools as far as i know. You'll have no idea if you can get in or not until you take the MCAT. I don't get these threads that keep popping up with people asking what their chances are without an MCAT score. Your gpa doesn't matter without an MCAT to combine it with unless it's incredibly low and then you have basically no chance even with a really high MCAT

Would still need to retake failed perquisites regardless of the new policy, but 3.3 with good mcat will do fine.

this is above the screenout point for most schools as far as i know. You'll have no idea if you can get in or not until you take the MCAT. I don't get these threads that keep popping up with people asking what their chances are without an MCAT score. Your gpa doesn't matter without an MCAT to combine it with unless it's incredibly low and then you have basically no chance even with a really high MCAT
Although I do concur with this, your GPA isn't a death sentence. I might advise (now that grade replacement has been eliminated) an SMP or a formal post bacc to truly showcase your ability to perform well in upper science courses.

DO schools dont calculate retakes now, they just average them out. SO retakes wont help much. what is your cGPA and sGPA without retakes, if you average out the grades?

Just got the email on this. Wow, talk about giving a major disadvantage to all that retook classes in the hopes to pursue DO.

is a 2.85 sGPA, 3.18 cGPA a death sentence? thats where I am standing right now without factoring in the retakes. Or can a good MCAT make it happen for me? Im still in a shock from the news.

is a 2.85 sGPA, 3.18 cGPA a death sentence? thats where I am standing right now without factoring in the retakes. Or can a good MCAT make it happen for me? Im still in a shock from the news.

I don't perceive it to be a death sentence although with the new AACOMAS GPA calculation, it's going to be a fight. @Goro, any straight shooting advice?

Unfortunately not starting this coming cycle.
As of right now, I don't think I will have to use this policy, but I'm absolutely infuriated that they'd do this and screw so many people. Currently viewing the main thread.

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that this new policy will cause the proliferation of these DO SMPs which I would be cautious of until they prove themselves (some of which are nothing more than money making schemes).

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that this new policy will cause the proliferation of these DO SMPs which I would be cautious of until they prove themselves (some of which are nothing more than money making schemes).

Yep, AACOMAS made this move in order to, "remain transparent". I think they're trying to keep people from electing DO as a backup plan for histories with academic struggles. Sickening.

How much do past W's matter after you have a solid post-bac? I probably have 10 W on my transcript.

I'll just add this, besides XFs or criminal histories... There aren't many absolute death sentences. Now there are things such as low gpa that will definitely prolong the process but if you want it bad enough you'll get there.

I think with 3.22 you will need a stellar mcat score, if you manage that 510 then applying to both DO and an SMP/post bacc would be a good plan. I had multiple Ds and one F early on, and I believe 3 or 4 Ws and was accepted to multiple DO programs (not just new ones either)

So yeah, with a well put together aacomas application, good extracurriculars and a good mcat I think you stand a chance straight Into DO.

As an update to everyone I was admitted into a DO school in the states and a few Caribbean schools. MUA, St. james, Ross, CFP program with SGU and others.