i failed organic chem. what should i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i got a D 1st semester of organic chem. if i retake it next year and get an A how will dental schools view that? do i still have a chance a dental school. i am really worried. please help

Members don't see this ad.

You have absolutely no chance of getting into dental school. You should just quit while you are ahead.

if you like med so much why not apply DO school or carribean?

Members don't see this ad :)
i got a D 1st semester of organic chem. if i retake it next year and get an A how will dental schools view that? do i still have a chance a dental school. i am really worried. please help
just take organic I &II and ace both of them then think about upper level courses and show you can handle heavy loaded courses.
and in addition, do well on your DAT.

You have absolutely no chance of getting into dental school. You should just quit while you are ahead.

^this is joke isn't it?

The world needs ditch-diggers, too!

I failed physics my sophomore year (an F). Got a bunch of C's, too. It depends what your overall GPA is, but I took a year of classes after undergrad and kept up a good GPA to show that I was capable and committed to D-school. You'll be okay but you'll probably have to work a little harder and go that extra mile to get in.

I failed physics my sophomore year (an F). Got a bunch of C's, too. It depends what your overall GPA is, but I took a year of classes after undergrad and kept up a good GPA to show that I was capable and committed to D-school. You'll be okay but you'll probably have to work a little harder and go that extra mile to get in.

I think your completely insane DAT scores helped a lot too.

Reactions: 1 user
I think ur best bet is really like what Danny289 said. First off U will need an A in org I since this will be ur 2nd time taking it, they expect u to get an A. And org II will need to be good don't mess up on that. Taking high lvl science later will help too. For me I got a C at org I then a B+ at org II, so what I decided to do was take P.chem, since everyone told me that is like the hardest chem there is and aced it from the advice from my prof.

I also got a D in organic chemistry the first time around, it definitely hurts but it won't kill you. As suggested before, it is very important that you focus on doing well on Ochem when you take the DAT. At my interviews when I was asked about it, the interviewers seemed very satisfied when I pointed out that although I did badly the first time, I retook it and did better, and then scored well on it on the DAT. Good Luck!

you need to retake it and get an A. i'm sure you're really stressed and its a bad situation to be in. good luck and try your best!

From my personal experience, its all good. The only D I got in school was my first semester of O-Chem. I was terrified about my chances of getting into dental school. However, during this cycle applying late, sept, bad gpa 3.2 and decent DAT 21. I was able to get 3 interviews and 1 acceptance. I retook my O Chem again and got a A and none of the schools seemed to mind the fact I got a D. Although I have to say that its tough recovering a good GPA with a D though. But a D in O Chem is definitely not the end of the world

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake Organic and do well
This high level science advice seems a bit much, as plenty of dental students went to college as business majors, some even as art history, and took only the minimum amount of science courses. All you have to prove is that you can do it the second time around.....if you don't then that is another story.

There are a lot of myths about D school admissions. As a residency program director, I get to see lots of candidates academic records, and it does not appear to me to be as difficult as you think to get into D school. True, the amount of applications are up, but I still see a lot of senior D-student transcripts which do not look that great.

By the way, I have not used or thought about organic chem in over 30 years. It is simply a mechanism to evaluate whether you can absorb large amounts of new information in an obscure format (a little like gross anatomy).

Reactions: 1 user
I got A- in orgo I, D in Orgo II, I retook it and got an A. I got in, and i got in 2 dental schools, you are fine. Do me a favior dont listen to the people that try to put you down, and work very hard on your DAT. Best of luck to you.

Instead of taking some random upper level chem class that you'll never use again, why not take biochemistry? It's required at some schools, and there's Orgo involved. If you were able to do well in biochem, that might remove some doubt about your orgo abilities, I would think. (Obviously, you need to re-take as well. And do well on the orgo section of the DAT.)

i am a biology major. so even though i got a D in O chem, i will retake it and then all the other bio classes that count as part of sci. gpa will boost it. thats my plan. thanks for the positive comments. i dont feel like jumping off a bridge anymore

i am a biology major. so even though i got a D in O chem, i will retake it and then all the other bio classes that count as part of sci. gpa will boost it. thats my plan. thanks for the positive comments. i dont feel like jumping off a bridge anymore

thats what you need. Good luck :thumbup:

Adjust your study methods and retake for an A. Also, do really well on the DAT organic portion.

Take it again and get an A. Be prepared to explain why you got a D the first time, and what you did different the second time around. (Pretty much identify the problem, and how you fixed it)

so why wont you say where? PM me at least I wont tell anyone else
lmao..dude I dont care if anyone knows.. Im second year at Maryland...and I am done with this conversion..good luck to and wish you nothing but the best.

do you have any other alternative choices beside retaking that class? so just do what you have to do...:horns:

some school will replace the old grade, if you retake the course with a better grade.

so, retake it and do better. good luck

I did tooooooooooooo:(((((((( IT SUCKS
i feel like my whole future is over
that F is gonna stay on my transcrip for the rest of my life

...completely unnecessary.
Maybe not to you but people like me I like some motivation to do better and see that people do make mistakes it's only human...but haha okay sorry I'm using the forums for advice like it's for.

I find it mildly amusing that someone who claims they're "already in dental school" misspelled so many words...