I feel bad.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heme/Onc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I feel bad when cancelling interviews and invitations. I know that it is only business and that I shouldn't but I feeel as if maybe I am missing out on something that can be great or that I am just not being fair..........but in the end, I don't have enough money to interview everywhere

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting how people differ. I feel bad when I DON'T cancel an interview I could do without, knowing that there are people on the waitlist for that interview.

I recently cancelled the first interview that I was offered, and it was kind of hard to do. They offered me an interview six days after I submitted my application, and I felt that they really wanted me because they responded so quickly. But then I got interviews at programs that I was more interested in. It's kind of sad because I will never really know if that was the right program for me.

You think you know about a program from its numbers, stats, website, scutwork reviews, but how can you really know until you interview there or start your internship?

I had to remind myself that it's not personal. It's a job application and a career decision- which program will take me where I want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heme/Onc said:
Yes, I feel bad when cancelling interviews and invitations. I know that it is only business and that I shouldn't but I feeel as if maybe I am missing out on something that can be great or that I am just not being fair..........but in the end, I don't have enough money to interview everywhere

ha....what world are you living in....trust me...they will not feel bad rejecting you if they need to.

yesh said:
ha....what world are you living in....trust me...they will not feel bad rejecting you if they need to.

Very true. A program would have no qualms about rejecting any given applicant. The programs look out for their best interest, and applicants should look out for their own best interest.

Right, but when you cancel an interview, you have to make a judgement without having ever seen the place. Who knows if it would have been great?

Is it considered acceptable to e-mail a cancellation?
I would rather e-mail for obvious reasons, but I wanna be curtious.

orientedtoself said:
Right, but when you cancel an interview, you have to make a judgement without having ever seen the place. Who knows if it would have been great?

and programs that reject applicants...reject them without ever getting to know them either!?

dude, don't feel bad, just keep doing what they would if they had the chance do to you. :D

Just be happy that you are getting interviews at the places you want, and when you send an email, say something, your program does not meet my standards... :p

ucladukes said:
Is it considered acceptable to e-mail a cancellation?
I would rather e-mail for obvious reasons, but I wanna be curtious.

When you email, just make sure they have confirmed the cancellation. Otherwise, they could expect you on the day of the interview, which looks even worse, u know?