SticknRudder

Throttle Up Baby!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2002
Visit site
Status
On the first test I scored 9-8-9-P without studying at all. I thought, "surely if I study some (very little), I'll do better". Wrong. I get my score that's gone down in every subject 7-7-8-O. It's probably the result of my intensive research I was doing over the summer which precluded my ability to study, but I truly thought I would do better.

Though I am taking a year off after graduation this coming May (University of Arizona), I am grappling with taking the test over again in April. My GPA overall is 3.53 with Molecular and Cellular Biology degree plus a Business Minor, good LOR, and quite a bit of experience, but I'm afraid my score will kill me. Oh yeah, and I get to play the URM card.

Maybe I ought to go do intellectual property law at some Ivy school because I know I'll get in anywhere with a science degree and good grades/LSAT.

I'm going to talk to my advisor before I throw myself off the medical school wagon.

I hate the hoops we have to jump through....

Thanks for letting me vent!

Here's to the April MCAT! yipeeee..... +pissed+

Dr. Wall$treet

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2002
Phoenix
Visit site
Status
no offense but your pretty much an idiot.. to take it twice and not study really at all for either one.. your stupidity man.. u probably shouldnt be a doc with the lack of common sense u display here

racergirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
Status
You probably should take the MCAT again, but DON'T bother unless you can bring yourself to actually study for it! Man, you're getting average scores with practically no preparation--imagine how you'd do if you REALLY prepaed for the test? Stop selling yourself short and give yourself a chance to do really well. Or, go to law school. Good luck either way!

About the Ads

Dr. Don

15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2001
Los Angeles
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
no offense but your pretty much an idiot.. to take it twice and not study really at all for either one.. your stupidity man.. u probably shouldnt be a doc with the lack of common sense u display here
ouch kid...a little harsh don't you think? mcbtuafa obviously messed up, but he knows that..so dude (or dudette), if you really want to be an MD, then stick with it, but if you don't want it as much, then law school might not be such a bad idea, peace and good luck!

myhc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
haha, "no offense but your pretty much an idiot" . .....i won't be as harsh, but if i were you , i would retake it but this time, devote ALL of my time to the mcat's. no joke. if you really want to do this medical school thing, then study ass off and lock yourself in your room for 3 months. if you're not willing to make that sacrifice or have any doubts, don't do it and go do your intellectual law or whatever the hell that is.

UCLA2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2001
the hospital
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Perhaps you should take the MCAT a little bit more seriously...

Don't take it unless you're going to study for it! Duh!

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status
Medical Student
as coarse as it may sound to some, wallstreet more or less captures my gut feeling in reading this. why on gods earth would ANYONE take the MCAT without doing some prep for it? I could see if one were just that naturally gifted, took a practice test and got a 37 on it and said "hey, i can afford not to study for it", but even then i think that would be more an exception to the rule

if you're interested in going to med school, study for the damn test :mad: !!!!! you're going to be doing a lot more studying if you plan to do medicine, so i would seriously reconsider your priorities her :rolleyes:

i dont think this post is serious, or at last i hope it isn't :oops:

Blitzkrieg

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2002
none
Status
one word: Kaplan

Originally posted by mcbatuofa
On the first test I scored 9-8-9-P without studying at all. I thought, "surely if I study some (very little), I'll do better". Wrong. I get my score that's gone down in every subject 7-7-8-O. It's probably the result of my intensive research I was doing over the summer which precluded my ability to study, but I truly thought I would do better.

Though I am taking a year off after graduation this coming May (University of Arizona), I am grappling with taking the test over again in April. My GPA overall is 3.53 with Molecular and Cellular Biology degree plus a Business Minor, good LOR, and quite a bit of experience, but I'm afraid my score will kill me. Oh yeah, and I get to play the URM card.

Maybe I ought to go do intellectual property law at some Ivy school because I know I'll get in anywhere with a science degree and good grades/LSAT.

I'm going to talk to my advisor before I throw myself off the medical school wagon.

I hate the hoops we have to jump through....

Thanks for letting me vent!

Here's to the April MCAT! yipeeee..... +pissed+

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2002
california
Visit site
Status
kaplan is not the greatest... maybe it is ok if you use ALL of their materials, but it can get a bit overwhelming. also, they emphasize memorization too much. there are other test prep methods that might be better in my opinion.

isidella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by mcbatuofa
On the first test I scored 9-8-9-P without studying at all. . . . My GPA overall is 3.53 with Molecular and Cellular Biology degree plus a Business Minor, good LOR, and quite a bit of experience, but I'm afraid my score will kill me. Oh yeah, and I get to play the URM card.

And why did you take it twice??? It sounded like you were competitive after your first take. Especially with the "URM card" on your side. :rolleyes:

Done is done, but I sure hope you did not release your second set of scores.

AegisZero

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2002
Visit site
Status
Am I the only one that gets a gut-wrenching feeling when someone makes repeated mistakes, and then still is at an advantage because of URM?

Seems a bit unfair to me, but hey, that's life.

Don't take the MCAT if you're not prepared for it. I can't believe you didn't study the SECOND time. That's just inexcusable. URM won't get you a higher MCAT score, it will just allow you to get in with a lower one. Big difference.

About the Ads