1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I feel ******ed...lower MCAT 2nd Time

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by SticknRudder, Oct 19, 2002.

1. SticknRudder

SticknRudder Throttle Up Baby!
    7+ Year Member

On the first test I scored 9-8-9-P without studying at all. I thought, "surely if I study some (very little), I'll do better". Wrong. I get my score that's gone down in every subject 7-7-8-O. It's probably the result of my intensive research I was doing over the summer which precluded my ability to study, but I truly thought I would do better.

Though I am taking a year off after graduation this coming May (University of Arizona), I am grappling with taking the test over again in April. My GPA overall is 3.53 with Molecular and Cellular Biology degree plus a Business Minor, good LOR, and quite a bit of experience, but I'm afraid my score will kill me. Oh yeah, and I get to play the URM card.

Maybe I ought to go do intellectual property law at some Ivy school because I know I'll get in anywhere with a science degree and good grades/LSAT.

I'm going to talk to my advisor before I throw myself off the medical school wagon.

I hate the hoops we have to jump through....

Thanks for letting me vent!

Here's to the April MCAT! yipeeee..... +pissed+

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Wall$treet

Dr. Wall$treet Membership Revoked
    Removed

no offense but your pretty much an idiot.. to take it twice and not study really at all for either one.. your stupidity man.. u probably shouldnt be a doc with the lack of common sense u display here

4. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You probably should take the MCAT again, but DON'T bother unless you can bring yourself to actually study for it! Man, you're getting average scores with practically no preparation--imagine how you'd do if you REALLY prepaed for the test? Stop selling yourself short and give yourself a chance to do really well. Or, go to law school. Good luck either way!

5. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ouch kid...a little harsh don't you think? mcbtuafa obviously messed up, but he knows that..so dude (or dudette), if you really want to be an MD, then stick with it, but if you don't want it as much, then law school might not be such a bad idea, peace and good luck!

6. myhc

myhc Member
    7+ Year Member

haha, "no offense but your pretty much an idiot" . .....i won't be as harsh, but if i were you , i would retake it but this time, devote ALL of my time to the mcat's. no joke. if you really want to do this medical school thing, then study ass off and lock yourself in your room for 3 months. if you're not willing to make that sacrifice or have any doubts, don't do it and go do your intellectual law or whatever the hell that is.

7. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Perhaps you should take the MCAT a little bit more seriously...

Don't take it unless you're going to study for it! Duh!

8. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    as coarse as it may sound to some, wallstreet more or less captures my gut feeling in reading this. why on gods earth would ANYONE take the MCAT without doing some prep for it? I could see if one were just that naturally gifted, took a practice test and got a 37 on it and said "hey, i can afford not to study for it", but even then i think that would be more an exception to the rule

if you're interested in going to med school, study for the damn test :mad: !!!!! you're going to be doing a lot more studying if you plan to do medicine, so i would seriously reconsider your priorities her :rolleyes:

i dont think this post is serious, or at last i hope it isn't :oops:

9. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

one word: Kaplan

10. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

kaplan is not the greatest... maybe it is ok if you use ALL of their materials, but it can get a bit overwhelming. also, they emphasize memorization too much. there are other test prep methods that might be better in my opinion.

11. isidella

7+ Year Member

And why did you take it twice??? It sounded like you were competitive after your first take. Especially with the "URM card" on your side. :rolleyes:

Done is done, but I sure hope you did not release your second set of scores.

12. did u get a job with kaplan or something, u seem to be advertising kaplan everywhere!

13. ItNeverEnds

ItNeverEnds Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Have you considered osteopathic medicine?

14. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Am I the only one that gets a gut-wrenching feeling when someone makes repeated mistakes, and then still is at an advantage because of URM?

Seems a bit unfair to me, but hey, that's life.

Don't take the MCAT if you're not prepared for it. I can't believe you didn't study the SECOND time. That's just inexcusable. URM won't get you a higher MCAT score, it will just allow you to get in with a lower one. Big difference.