Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I wish everyone a good luck this semester!

Just transferred from a community college to a new location.
After 4 weeks trying to settle-in (much of it was a fiasco), I think I am able to start some volunteer services.

I found out that a Pod school and Rehab center are right next my house (5-10 foot steps).
I'm truly blessed:clap:

IlDestriero

Ether Man
10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2007
The ivory tower.
Status
Attending Physician
One man's gold mine is another man's bad location.
Who wants to live next to a rehab center? I hope it's medical rehab and not drug and alcohol.
Hope you like feet.

--
Il Destriero

About the Ads
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
change your status to pre-pod then
I've only explored Pod for a bit (like... going to pre-pod forum on SDN and googling about it), not entirely sure if I'd pursuit it.
I'm just gonna volunteer in the hospital. A 'yuge hospital is affiliated/right next to that school :)
But being right next to pod-school might help.. not entirely sure how I'd profit from it :p

One man's gold mine is another man's bad location.
Who wants to live next to a rehab center? I hope it's medical rehab and not drug and alcohol.
Hope you like feet.
I'll find out this week :) Also, it said it was a nursing-home. So I think it's for old folks, it looks like a cozy place.

Last edited:

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Reactions: Wiesal

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

DoctorSnow

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Watch out for C. diff.
Literally just finished a shift where a cardiac patient that got a pacemaker was on the commode and fell asleep....which ended up tipping completely over. **** was everywhere....

**EDIT**

Oh I forgot the best part...He had C. diff!

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Literally just finished a shift where a cardiac patient that got a pacemaker was on the commode and fell asleep....which ended up tipping completely over. **** was everywhere....

**EDIT**

Hurray!

Reactions: AnatomyGrey12

Xavieous

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I knew a physician that could differential C. Diff before he walked into the patient room. that familiar smell, ahh, nothing like it. No, really. Nothing like it. Glad that is behind me for awhile. (the puns are strong in this one today)

About the Ads

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I knew a physician that could differential C. Diff before he walked into the patient room. that familiar smell, ahh, nothing like it. No, really. Nothing like it. Glad that is behind me for awhile. (the puns are strong in this one today)
Yeah it has a unique smell for sure.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration

**EDIT**

Why else would he be on the commode so long he fell asleep on it??

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Some of those folks can fall asleep pretty fast.

Xavieous

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2017
Status
Dribbly patients. Had patients that would demand bed pans all night long because they were embarrassed about how often they wet the bed. Didn't like adult diapers. Always a fun time trying to tell an 80 year old lady that she couldn't use this one tool for bed-sore reasons and she would have to retain her shreds of dignity in a different way...

But, I have had many patients fall asleep on commodes because of C. Diff. That stuff just doesn't stop!

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Why are you all talking about **** in my post

Reactions: sss1219

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
How did this go from sitting on a Gold Mine to sitting on a Commode? Or should that be s(h)itting on a commode. :p
I think everyone here is trying to say that my post was full of **** :p

About the Ads
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical

DoctorSnow

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Antibiotics after surgery normally backs them up quite a bit! I swear some patients fall asleep in the matter of seconds- probably tired from continuously being woken up.

LizzyM

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Antibiotics after surgery normally backs them up quite a bit! I swear some patients fall asleep in the matter of seconds- probably tired from continuously being woken up.
Antibiotics?? Are you sure it isn't the narcotics?? Antibiotics, IIRC, more often cause diarrhea due to a disruption of gut flora. Anyway, this thread has totally gone to c7ap. Let's hope that the OP is able to get his foot in the door to become a Pod.

DoctorSnow

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Antibiotics?? Are you sure it isn't the narcotics?? Antibiotics, IIRC, more often cause diarrhea due to a disruption of gut flora. Anyway, this thread has totally gone to c7ap. Let's hope that the OP is able to get his foot in the door to become a Pod.
You are right! In my experiences, I think the antibiotic that most of my patients are on (Vancomysin?) either does one or the other to them. Let's hope OP doesn't have to worry about Cdiff in Pod:)

calivianya

2+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2017
Status
*inserts a flexi-seal all up in this thread*

OP, you're sitting on something, all right... but I don't think it's a gold mine.

Reactions: Turkishking

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
You are right! In my experiences, I think the antibiotic that most of my patients are on (Vancomysin?) either does one or the other to them. Let's hope OP doesn't have to worry about Cdiff in Pod:)
Vancomycin.

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
With my sGPA? I can't even set foot on where to start. Let's say that I have many C's (gen chem, math courses etc.)

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, Lizzy, do you consider volunteering at Nursing Home a much more helpful Clinical Experience?
Goro seems to appreciate Nursing Home volunteering a bit more than volunteering at acute hospitals.

LizzyM

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
Also, Lizzy, do you consider volunteering at Nursing Home a much more helpful Clinical Experience?
Goro seems to appreciate Nursing Home volunteering a bit more than volunteering at acute hospitals.
More helpful than what? Acute care hospitals?? It depends on the circumstances. Some nursing homes are homes for the disabled and elderly who are unable to care for themselves but in what physicians would call their "usual state of health". Others are extensions of acute care hospitals and patients are receiving IV antibiotics, rehabilitation services and other care that 40 years ago was more often provided in an acute care hospital.

It is good to do community service that is not clinically related. It is also good to get experience with the acutely ill or injured and those who are receiving clinical care that is preventive (e.g. vaccines, "check-ups", family planning services). Participate in activities that you find gratifying and you'll learn something about the world and your place in it and that is what is so important regardless of what career you pursue.

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
With my sGPA? I can't even set foot on where to start. Let's say that I have many C's (gen chem, math courses etc.)
I think you need like a sGPA of a 3.0 to be competitve with like a 20 MCAT lol

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Last edited:
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
More helpful than what? Acute care hospitals?? It depends on the circumstances. Some nursing homes are homes for the disabled and elderly who are unable to care for themselves but in what physicians would call their "usual state of health". Others are extensions of acute care hospitals and patients are receiving IV antibiotics, rehabilitation services and other care that 40 years ago was more often provided in an acute care hospital.

It is good to do community service that is not clinically related. It is also good to get experience with the acutely ill or injured and those who are receiving clinical care that is preventive (e.g. vaccines, "check-ups", family planning services). Participate in activities that you find gratifying and you'll learn something about the world and your place in it and that is what is so important regardless of what career you pursue.
Thank you for your answer!
I just assumed Goro valued volunteering at nursing home more "helpful." He mentions it a lot. So I just assumed there was something special about Nursing home. I think this Rehab center will be a good experience overall. In terms of growth and experience :)

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I just assumed Goro valued volunteering at nursing home more "helpful." He mentions it a lot. So I just assumed there was something special about Nursing home. I think this Rehab center will be a good experience overall. In terms of growth and experience :)
If u want to go into feet why are you volunteering at a rehab center?

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If u want to go into feet why are you volunteering at a rehab center?
" Participate in activities that you find gratifying and you'll learn something about the world and your place in it and that is what is so important regardless of what career you pursue."
My goal :nod: :) I mean, it's really rewarding in life.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Watch out for C. diff.
Nothing holy about that ****.
Just get a fecal transplant.
It's called **** posting.
How did this go from sitting on a Gold Mine to sitting on a Commode? Or should that be s(h)itting on a commode. :p
These posts are pure SDN gold

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
:)

Turkishking

2+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
" Participate in activities that you find gratifying and you'll learn something about the world and your place in it and that is what is so important regardless of what career you pursue."
My goal :nod: :) I mean, it's really rewarding in life.
Aw shucks

About the Ads