I feel like I'm worthless tbh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idiotpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my name is John. Nice to meet you all! I've been a lurker on StudentDoctor for like 6 months ago and have learned a lot of things about how to more or less secure a spot at med school.

What prompted me to create an account is I just need some guidance for my relatively unique situation. I am a sophomore in Texas credit-wise (34 credit hours, if I'm correct) and have been doing okay so far. My grades so far have been in A/B in Hist 1/2, A's in all gov classes, and B's in Bio I/Chem I. I started college at CC after 3 years of graduating HS so I was placed into "College Algebra" because I forgot all my math and really I have never cared for it. I ended up getting a C in that class because trying to do that crap after all those years really kicked my ass.

Anyway, my main dilemma is that I took a summer trig class because that was the prereq to take precal and from there calc I (my actual prereq). That was the worst mistake of my life. Apparently to take Precal at the uni im transferring to, the prereq is only college algebra (according to an advisor). But the prereq at the CC for precal is trig. In my defense, HCC and U of Houston are usually very linked so I assumed it would be the same? But I guess not.

To make matters worse, I got an F in that class. But the thing is, a week before starting this class, I was fired from my very adequately paying job. My mom practically makes peanuts so she can handle the rent and utilities, while I handled my car note and insurance (both unaffordable for her). Without the extra income, almost every day I would come home to a new dilemma about how we don't have this or that or how we can't pay this. Losing my job was traumatic and depressed me for several days (especially since it's the first time I've been fired) Our lack of money was always being discussed and it was very stressful to me. Not to mention, my laptop broke during this period of time so I was basically cut off from the computer at 5pm every day which is when the computer lab at my school closes. I know it still might've been possible to do okay in this class and that failing was my fault, but I really wasn't strong enough to cope with the burden of life and the burden of school at the same time.

Sorry to make this post so long-winded, but my question is what should I do about this F? In a class thag I apparently didn't even need? Should I retake it? Is med school a far off dream for me now? Or should I prepare my tropical weather clothing and say "Hey mon, I'm goin ta med school" ?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I advice you to edit your thread and remove your name to prevent people from identifying you. Regarding that F, yeah unfortunately you have to retake it and ace it as well. We all go through ups and downs in life, so you gotta keep your head up and pursue your dream if medicine is your passion. You are not doomed, so no need to panic and worry.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't have to retake the F if you go on to higher math and ace those classes

You have to pretty much master the concepts in Trig to go on and do whatever version of Calculus, which as I remember, you have to do some version of to get to Prob & Stats which most med schools seem to require these days

I hope this makes sense

However, as I've said most math beyond Trig will require a hefty dose of it, so in that case be sure one way or the other (retake or no) you have the skills to do well in any math moving forward

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds so stressful and hard to deal with :( Definitely retake and do your best. There are cheap chromebook laptops you can get for $250, which I know may still be difficult to shell out on a budget, but may be worth the investment if you need the Internet to study and do well. I've used them and they work perfectly well. And public libraries usually have free internet too. I don't think one mistake will kill you if you can do well in the future. Best of luck!

It's alright man, people go through personal challenges every now and then. Just retake the class and give it your all, don't give up dude. You got this.

Seriously, you don't absolutely have to take that class over if you go on and do well in higher math.

In fact, retaking it can hurt you, you need to get a B or A, going from F to C won't cut it.

The people who have answered you so far have like 10 messages to their name.

So move on, ace the rest of your math. I had one and only one F in Physics with Calculus, I went on with Physics w/o Calculus class (the one that wasn't meant for engineers and physics and math majors) and aced Calculus separately.

That one and only F in that particular class only came up in med school interviews, and I explained the personal circumstances around it.

But the rest of my transcript was flawless.

If you didn't master the Trig well enough to have a foundation to ace further math, then I would take it again.

One F isn't going to kill you. What are your GPAs as of right now?

When life hits you in the head with a fastball, that's the time to withdraw from college, recoup, and come back stronger.

Don't even think about the Carib diploma mills unless you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in depth. They prey upon desperate, gullible people like you.

Hey guys, my name is John. Nice to meet you all! I've been a lurker on StudentDoctor for like 6 months ago and have learned a lot of things about how to more or less secure a spot at med school.

What prompted me to create an account is I just need some guidance for my relatively unique situation. I am a sophomore in Texas credit-wise (34 credit hours, if I'm correct) and have been doing okay so far. My grades so far have been in A/B in Hist 1/2, A's in all gov classes, and B's in Bio I/Chem I. I started college at CC after 3 years of graduating HS so I was placed into "College Algebra" because I forgot all my math and really I have never cared for it. I ended up getting a C in that class because trying to do that crap after all those years really kicked my ass.

Anyway, my main dilemma is that I took a summer trig class because that was the prereq to take precal and from there calc I (my actual prereq). That was the worst mistake of my life. Apparently to take Precal at the uni im transferring to, the prereq is only college algebra (according to an advisor). But the prereq at the CC for precal is trig. In my defense, HCC and U of Houston are usually very linked so I assumed it would be the same? But I guess not.

To make matters worse, I got an F in that class. But the thing is, a week before starting this class, I was fired from my very adequately paying job. My mom practically makes peanuts so she can handle the rent and utilities, while I handled my car note and insurance (both unaffordable for her). Without the extra income, almost every day I would come home to a new dilemma about how we don't have this or that or how we can't pay this. Losing my job was traumatic and depressed me for several days (especially since it's the first time I've been fired) Our lack of money was always being discussed and it was very stressful to me. Not to mention, my laptop broke during this period of time so I was basically cut off from the computer at 5pm every day which is when the computer lab at my school closes. I know it still might've been possible to do okay in this class and that failing was my fault, but I really wasn't strong enough to cope with the burden of life and the burden of school at the same time.

Sorry to make this post so long-winded, but my question is what should I do about this F? In a class thag I apparently didn't even need? Should I retake it? Is med school a far off dream for me now? Or should I prepare my tropical weather clothing and say "Hey mon, I'm goin ta med school" ?

One F isn't going to kill you. What are your GPAs as of right now?

When life hits you in the head with a fastball, that's the time to withdraw from college, recoup, and come back stronger.

Don't even think about the Carib diploma mills unless you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in depth. They prey upon desperate, gullible people like you.

It might not be a bad idea if he has no option, but the bigger point imo is that going to the Caribbean with the OPs current track record is just asking to throw away money.

Why bump bro?

You got answers.

I don't think you need much more.

Go study.

Edit: I will add that yes, given what you've said med school in US is still on table despite that blip, but you have to have an otherwise.great app for me to say that with certainty, and I'm not going to review your resume. The WAMC threads can do that

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Why not take advantage of Texas' Fresh Start Program? When you get your financial situation in order of course.

Why would a sophomore with 34 credits all A's B's one C and one F wait ten years to retake all thise credits? Take a break (not that long) and come back strong.