I feel like my professor didn't submit my letter of rec. Not sure what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically, I just submitted my application to an REU (summer internship) that I really really want to be accepted to. I spent a solid month perfecting my application essay, and I asked my professor to write me a letter of rec with plenty of time before it was due. She asked me to email her a week before it the application was due, which I did, but she didn't respond. I feel so upset. It's due tomorrow and I doubt she submitted it or will remember to. The application said I would receive a confirmation email when all four parts of my application were submitted. Still haven't gotten anything despite completing the other three parts. This is so disappointing. That REU would have been an AMAZING experience for me. I have a good GPA, past research and clinical experience, everything that I needed to be a competitive applicant. Any advice on what to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's safe to email her once more, just saying you want to follow up on your previous email!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. I’d email, stop by her office hours, leave a note in her interoffice mail, whatever it takes... It was irresponsible of her to agree and to subsequently go dark... She probably just forgot or forgot the deadline... Get it in front of her so she can’t ignore it and she’ll probably (hopefully) take care of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I’d email, stop by her office hours, leave a note in her interoffice mail, whatever it takes... It was irresponsible of her to agree and to subsequently go dark... She probably just forgot or forgot the deadline... Get it in front of her so she can’t ignore it and she’ll probably (hopefully) take care of it.

it's due tomorrow and she's an adjunct professor

it's due tomorrow and she's an adjunct professor
Then it’s time to get creative. Do you have any other professors you have a relationship with or did well in a class with? Barring that, can you contact admin, explain the situation, and obtain her number? Email tonight, all caps subject URGENT REPLY REQUESTED. No response, and no other letter writer, call her. You’ve got nothing to lose, and she’s about to cost you dearly.

If she's an adjunct, does that mean she works somewhere else as well?

If she does, it might help to try contacting her there.

Then it’s time to get creative. Do you have any other professors you have a relationship with or did well in a class with? Barring that, can you contact admin, explain the situation, and obtain her number? Email tonight, all caps subject URGENT REPLY REQUESTED. No response, and no other letter writer, call her. You’ve got nothing to lose, and she’s about to cost you dearly.

I mean, I guess there is a chance that she just saw my email, went "right! got it!" and didn't bother replying. Idk

If she's an adjunct, does that mean she works somewhere else as well?

If she does, it might help to try contacting her there.

I emailed her asking to confirm with me once she's submitted it. Hopefully I get some sort of reply. It's just odd because she literally replied within minutes when I initially asked for a LoR.

Yeah, this kind of thing sucks. Something similar happened to me with a LoR writer for grad school apps. Ended up getting most in on time at the last minute and a couple were technically late, but the programs didn't care and were super understanding.

That is scary. If you do not hear back from your professor, and you do not have another professor that you can ask to write a LOR on such a short notice..it is justifiable to contact the program chair about the situation and request to write a LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
IME programs are generally pretty understanding about LORs being late (not so much about your own application). I suggest calling the program to confirm that her letter is the only thing still outstanding, and explain the situation to them so they can note it in their records. Then, simultaneously reach out to her again and also find someone else to ask. It would probably help expedite both if you came up with a draft letter to send them where they could fill in the blanks, unless the letter is filled out through a web portal or something. Also make sure you've made it as easy as posible by supplying your CV and/or a document with bullet points about your past experience, highlights of things you've done w/ the specific professor (worked on projects, taken initiative on anything?), and why you think you would be an especially good fit for the program. Make it as copy-paste as possible. Maybe she's one of these poor adjuncts teaching 6 classes to eke a living and is scattered and overwhelmd, not that that makes it OK, but just for perspective. Make it as easy as possible to complete the letter is always a good strategy. And flag the email/mark as important/etc. Good luck.