sssssssssssssssssssssssssss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davethebarbarian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ssssssssssssssssssssss

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
KA/kaplan should do a good job of covering all the content you'll need to know on the MCAT and I would say don't get too upset if you do bad on practices right now during the early stages of your studying. Most people, if not all, struggle with mcat practice early on. Eventually you'll improve.

were more or less in the same boat. I didn't do well my freshman year but recovered pretty strong. I just finished my 3rd year also, and im taking my MCAT in about 3 1/2 months on sept 1st. I'm using princeton review books right now to do content review because they are pretty detailed and at the end of each chapter they have a few free standing questions and practice passages which ill complete. Sometimes ill go through a chapter and the practice passages at the end will piss me off from how hard they'll be lol.

But in the beginning phases of studying, most of this frustration should be expected. Just keep grinding, and im sure you'll see definite progress with time!

I wouldn't worry about "doing bad" on passages. Focus on what you did wrong and how you will make sure not to make the same mistake moving forward. It is a learning experience, if we had already mastered it then there would be no point in studying.

For content review, I went through and took notes and paid special attention to things I was weak at (i.e physics). I also took frequent CARS passages (around 2-3 a week, in addition to FL) just to get practice on reading faster.

You’ve got to learn to take it one day at a time. Med school will be harder than the mcat. I don’t say that to discourage you...I’m retaking the mcat in August (I’ve push my date back twice) and it took me roughly 10 hours to get through the EK chemistry chapter on oxygen reactions. It was hard, and I cried. I still only absorbed about half of it because I didn’t stop when I should have, and instead I pushed through.

Some days you’ll breeze through the material (like me today, EK chapter 1 in bio2: systems) and sometimes it will be very hard and feel hopeless. The worst case scenario if you're not ready by your test date, is to push it back a month or two and keep going. Take the test when YOU’RE ready, and not a moment sooner.

Even if you end up taking a gap year, there are worse things than taking a gap year, rocking your mcat, and starting Med school a year later.

I agree with seaturtle. I did the same thing (cried to my parents at first) because i felt it was a hard test. But you should know, the MCAT is probably the easiest Medical school test youll ever take. Its a lot but once you finish your studying itll get a lot easier. You want to be a doctor, no one said it was easy but no one said it was impossible. Believe in yourself, give it everything you possibly can, and go take this exam. If you cant do well, atleast you know that you gave it everything and maybe it was not meant to be. I learned to not kill myself over this, but simply work as hard as i can and see where that takes me.