I feel pressured to attend a carribean school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jems

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college last year 2008 and took my mcats for the first time in march. I didn't do well and therefore I couldn't enroll in the post bacc program at my university. Overall gpa is 3.5, science gpa, about 3.3. More than 100 hours each of research experience, volunteer and shadowing.

I'm scheduled to take my mcats again on the 25th of August and I am very determined to improve my score significantly this time around.

After visiting w. my advisor, she tells me to apply again for the post bacc program next fall and then apply for med school after completing that. This will bring my application to Fall of 2011 to start med school in Fall 2012.

That just feels like forever to me and I am tempted to apply to a Carribean school this December after I get my mcat scores back. If I get accepted, I could start med school in January 2010 instead of waiting 2012.

Are any of you in a similar position? Have any of you been in my situation? I would please like to know anyone's point of view pro or con about carribean schools in general.

I know two years may not seem that long of a wait, but I am very ready to start medical school now!!!

Thanks for your input, Jems.

Members don't see this ad.

i graduated 07. starting SMP this fall. applying 2010, starting 2011 hopefully. so yea, there are others who wait as long or longer than you.

I graduated college last year 2008 and took my mcats for the first time in march. I didn't do well and therefore I couldn't enroll in the post bacc program at my university. Overall gpa is 3.5, science gpa, about 3.3. More than 100 hours each of research experience, volunteer and shadowing.

I'm scheduled to take my mcats again on the 25th of August and I am very determined to improve my score significantly this time around.

After visiting w. my advisor, she tells me to apply again for the post bacc program next fall and then apply for med school after completing that. This will bring my application to Fall of 2011 to start med school in Fall 2012.

That just feels like forever to me and I am tempted to apply to a Carribean school this December after I get my mcat scores back. If I get accepted, I could start med school in January 2010 instead of waiting 2012.

Are any of you in a similar position? Have any of you been in my situation? I would please like to know anyone's point of view pro or con about carribean schools in general.

I know two years may not seem that long of a wait, but I am very ready to start medical school now!!!

Thanks for your input, Jems.
I did not quite have the same situation but I did have a time when I had to decide between going to carribbeans or waiting 2 years for Master's degree and then goto a school in North America.

In the war between time and quality of education, the latter wins for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a close friend who had similar experiences...he had 3.4 gpa and 3.3 sGPA, he did have mcats in the low 30ies, he did work for a year after graduating and got into a med school afterwards

so if you can work on your mcat and raise it up ull have a chance