1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I feel real stupid

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Student247, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Student247

Student247 Member
    7+ Year Member

I;m kickin myself in the ass for this mistake. I took G-chem part A and B at an accredited school, but I only received a total of 6 units instead of the usual 8 units( it had to do with the amount of hours per week the class was offered). I've contacted several Oesteopathic school and for the most part they are suspect of the units (the lack of 2 additional units). Most schools will not allow you just to take a lab class to gain an additional unit or two. So chances are I might have to take the classes over again. Has anyone gone through somthing similiar and if so what did you do?

Regards,
    Student247

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I have no advice but if misery loves company, I have a stupid story of my own to share. I took my third quarter g-chem class on a pass/fail basis, not thinking some med schools require a grade in prerequisites. On top of that, I didn't take a third quarter of o-chem and so I had to take it post-bac.

Best of luck to you.

4. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student
    7+ Year Member

I once tore out a gas hose from a filling station when I thought I had put it back on the cradle. It was a hideous mess.

Does that help?

5. conmantlc

conmantlc Member
    7+ Year Member

I got arrested once for urinating in public. I felt pretty stupid.

6. MYDDSDREAM

MYDDSDREAM Member
    7+ Year Member

if it sounded too good to be true ( 6 credits) it indeed was.

7. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

cheer up buddy :)

8. Student247

Student247 Member
    7+ Year Member

The worst thing about it is the price I paid for the classes, $1600. I've contacted Des Mois and KCOM who have promised to look in to it. KCOM told me that as long as I can provide evidence that the classes were a years worth of Chem, then I'm fine. I'm still waiting for Des Mois reply. I hate making stupid mistakes.

Regards,
    Student247

9. Thunder6

Thunder6 New Member

Student24, did you go to New College of California? If so, I believe you can take 2 units of independant study to make-up the extra units. I researched the school in the past and was told by one of their administrators that schools such as, UCLA and COMP, have accepted people from their school who have taken classes with independant study.

I still would contact the schools you are interested in and make sure they will accept the independant study units.

Good luck.

10. Student247

Student247 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thunder6

I really appreciate your comments. I also contacted this school (New College Of Califormia) concerning the additional two units, the acceptance ratio of student into DO programs, and independent work. They also told me that such schools as COMP have accepted their units. I also received confirmation when I spoke with a DO who when this route and was accepted into COMP back in 91. The strange thing, however, is when I contacted COMP concerning this very subject, the advisor told me they would accept the 6 units (those taken during the course) but they wouldn't accept the independent study because it wasn't an actual wet lab. Very strange indeed given the fact that they have in the past accepted student with these units. I often wonder if maybe the advisor didn't correctly understand my situation. In anycase, they did suggest taking another course of G-Chem to make up for the missing 2 units. I seriously dislike this alternative given the tedeous (not sure if I spelt this correctly) work involved. If you have some suggestions I would seriously appreciate it. Thanks.

Student247

11. Student247

Student247 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thunder6,

Since the last time I posted on this subject, I have received notice from several DO schools, including COMP, that the two additional units of independent work will be accepted.

Student247

12. AYLC

AYLC Member
    7+ Year Member

my suggestion would be take the CLEP and pass it. If you pass the CLEP, you should get full credit from your school (8 credit hours). AACOM recognize CLEP credits so you should not have any problem for applying all DO schools. (I did it that way and got accepted to several DO school without a problem and I am attending KCOM). Good luck.

13. Student247

Student247 Member
    7+ Year Member

If I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying that I can take the CLEP for chemistry (inorganic) and DO schools would accept it? How about for the other pre-req's?

14. AYLC

AYLC Member
    7+ Year Member

YES. As long as your college/univ takes your CLEP score and grant you with according crdeit hours, you should not have any problem to fulfill the requirement. Yet, I am not sure if you can use CLEP for all the pre-request. You probably need to check with AACOMAS to make sure they don't have problem with it. Hope this helps.