SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I feel so bad for each and every one of you.

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by axelz165, Dec 5, 2017.

1. It looks like we're comparing orange to apple. I know many pharmacists did quit and become house wives. But all of them had to be away from their family and paid off their student loans first before they could quit.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chemistpharmd

chemistpharmd

Sep 25, 2017
    But you still have a job, right?

4. I'm P1 student. I'm trying to get an intern job but so far, no luck. I want to find a job along West Coast in 3 years, the closer to the NorCal, where all my family and friends are, the better. Will see...

5. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    A lot of pharmacists would kill to have a job that is 1 hour from their city.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  6. Melazine

Melazine

Jul 27, 2016
    What PhD program are you speaking of? Most PhD I know are making a lot more than 60K, so please tell me more. I am considering a PhD whenever I get my loans paid off... PS. The friend wanted a job in the same city as she does have been unempolyeed for over a year, and I wish I'm only 1 hour away from my city....

7. chemistpharmd

chemistpharmd

Sep 25, 2017
    PhD in Science majors like Chemistry, the median last year for PhD in chemistry was 70k.
    If you think by getting a PhD you can secure a job in the city that you are living you are wrong.
    I know most of my friends in Pharmacy got a job last year before their graduation in the city that they wanted. I think those people that cannot get a job with PharmD, have a low GPA or no experience. They did not try and now they are blaming saturation.

8. Pharmacy Princess

Pharmacy Princess

Jan 8, 2018
    I agree with chemistpharmd , this reason is often overlooked but still true.

chemistpharmd likes this.
  9. BC_89

BC_89 2+ Year Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Your last sentence intrigued me. Do you honestly believe saturation does not exist? I’m not even speaking of retail, I’m talking about ALL pharmacy positions (retail / industrial / pharmaceutical academia / inpatient - fellowshipped - chemo/ambulatory always/“anything requiring a residency).

I agree with saturation every other grad should still get a job (expanding to floaters and prn with part time jobs though not full-timers). At the rate 4+ years from now that will not and CANNOT be the case. Despite this and not focusing in one geographical area (active duty so I work all regions both over seas and continental), I will repeat: Do you believe the experienced and high GPAers are immuned to saturation (OR) that saturation simply doesn’t exist?

CaNvWa farm likes this.
  10. Melazine

Melazine

Jul 27, 2016
    From your previous post, it sounded as you were comparing PhD graduates with PharmD graduates, but it seems like you were really comparing PharmD graduates with PhD candidates? which isn't a fair comparison in my opinion.

I have to say I sort of agree with you on the last part, but only to certain degree. It's natural the competitive students will find jobs quicker than those who are on the lazier side. However, being assertive, smart, and competitive cannot guarentee jobs in this field (I'm sure it's true in some other fields as well). Luckily, the saturation may be minimum in your area :)), it is definitely serious in many parts of the country. :(

11. stoichiometrist

stoichiometrist 5+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Everyone in the Hunger Games had to be extremely competitive as their life was dependent on being so. Still, there could be only one winner. They could only hope that the odds were in their favor.

12. steveysmith54

steveysmith54 Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2005
    1.Just FYI, I can say with certainty that 99.99999999% of jobs will not ask you for your GPA.
    2. I am gona assume that most your friends were not looking for jobs in Los Angeles, Orange County, SF, NY.