1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

I feel so old.....!? Give an oldie some advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by weezbug123, May 1, 2007.

1. weezbug123

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    So, all you youngin’s talking about taking your finals made me feel so old! ;) I’m not that old really (only 24), but I have been out of school for three years. I was hoping some of you could share some of your insight on what my chances are for getting into pharmacy school.

I graduated magna cum laude from Northern Illinois University in 2004 with 3.76 gpa overall and about 3.4 mean for science. But, my major was philosophy and pre-med (I was planning on med school, then, after college, figured out that it wasn’t really for me, and then finally realized pharmacy was my calling). I had a ton of extracurriculars while in school (Service Sorority, Mu Sigma Honor Society, Mortar Board, Pre-Professional Association, etc.).

After graduating, I worked in the health field as a Patient Representative (I traveled to Chicago hospitals and screened and assisted patients in the Medicaid application process, helped them get into Crime Victims Programs, etc. Then, I took a position as Scheduling Coordinator for catastrophic survivors. Each job required a lot of contact with patients and a myriad of different types of health care providers. It was these two positions that made me realize that pharmacy was a better fit for me.

Now three years has passed since school, and most of my academic knowledge is fuzzy at best. I’m shooting to take the PCAT in June, but, while working full time and paying off school loans, its tough to find time to study and find volunteer opportunities. I’m worried my PCAT scores won’t reflect my true potential, and that the gap between graduating and the present will decrease my chances of getting in. Also, will the lack of experience directly in the field of pharmacy hurt me, as well? Are these valid concerns? Do I have any chance of being accepted? Any words of wisdom, guys? (Sorry this was so long!)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. acetyl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Study for the PCAT, and apply. Get pharmacy experience if you want to know what you'll be doing, but don't stress too much about not having that.

4. noodles221

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I think you're a great candidate for pharmacy school! Your grades are great, lots of extra curricular, and being out of school for a few years will work towards your advantage because your work experience in the health care field puts you above those just coming out of school. My advice is to take the pcat (if you don't do well, there are several schools that don't require them like CA schools) and find the right schools for you to apply (apply early!!) You should be just fine as long as you have good reasons for why you want to become a pharmacist. :)

5. ajh88

ajh88 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You're never too old for one - and if you're too old, then I'm ancient! I'll be 31 when school starts this fall! I had been out of school for almost 10 years when I took the PCAT and was worried much like you are. You will be surprised at how much comes back to you when you're studying. I would just advise pacing yourself on your PCAT studying and taking plenty of practice tests - they'll help you find your weak spots pretty quickly. And this may be totally obvious, but you might want to double check your transcripts against the pre-reqs for schools you're interested in. Even though I have my B.S., I still lacked 2-4 classes (depending on the program). Taking those helped me get used to studying and classwork again.

I do think you sound like a strong candidate for school (not that my opinion matters much!). Your experiences should bring a broader and unique perspective to your application - good luck!

6. PossiblyCrazy

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
  7. dienophile

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Heres one for you....i'm 38.

8. iwannabpharmer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm 28 - turning 29 before I start school in the Fall. =)

I feel like a "kid" again, stocking up on highlighters and pens for the Fall. =)

9. reedus

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    yeah, boohoo! I'm 31! ;)

your grades are good enough, just ace the PCAT and you're in

10. MPBenJ

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    You're not old!!! I'm 32 and starting pharmacy school this fall.

11. Eleen

Eleen You'd think...
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    ...That's me in a nutshell - 24, and out of school for 3 years.
    I just received my acceptance letter. I agree with acetyl. Study for the PCAT and apply. Good luck!