I forgot to send a thank-you letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V1kTri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had my interview about 2 weeks ago. I forgot to send a thank-you note. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I don't think it's all that necessary, especially if it's already been 2 weeks... It's no big deal if you didn't send one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I guess you're not getting accepted. jk
I doubt they really matter.

Better luck next year!

Not serious, you'll be ok without one.

You should cry at the fact that you f*ed up big time, accept the fact that you won't be getting accepted, and learn to sell crack to support your bleak future.

Reactions: 3 users
Whatever you do, don't send one now. It will look worse then not sending one at all. If you are a good candidate it won't matter in the long run, unless you interviewed with a real "old-school" type.

Whatever you do, don't send one now. It will look worse then not sending one at all. If you are a good candidate it won't matter in the long run, unless you interviewed with a real "old-school" type.

Why would you say that? Better late than never would be my mentality. For some of my thank yous I enjoyed seeing other schools first to write back to my interviewer about what stood out about theirs.

My two cents. To each their own.

lmao, i think thank you cards are way overrated. didnt send a single one and i had multiple Dec 1st acceptances. chill!!!

no thank you card can make up for a mediocre/poor interview, and if you had a great interview they are already interested in you.

Because the standard etiquette is within 1 business
Why would you say that? Better late than never would be my mentality. For some of my thank yous I enjoyed seeing other schools first to write back to my interviewer about what stood out about the
Why would you say that? Better late than never would be my mentality. For some of my thank yous I enjoyed seeing other schools first to write back to my interviewer about what stood out about theirs.

My two cents. To each their own.

Well it might not seem like a big deal to you but I have been a hiring manager in the past and when two equal candidates for a job sent me thank you emails, one the same day and one a week later, the person who sent the email the same day would always get the job. Sending a letter two weeks late is like informing them that they are your back up school....in other words it shows you aren't really interested in the school.

What Gatsby said it totally true by the way. If you had a great interview and are a highly sought after candidate you won't screw up your chances at all by sending a late letter (or no letter at all). This conversation is really only relevant when comparing two candidates that are otherwise equal. That and just being a courteous person.