I gave it a shot, but now it's time for the backup plan

fireorose

10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2004
Status
Hello,
Well this time around I'm doubting my chances of getting in. :( But at least now I know the process and knew I was kidding myself anyway. I had two interviews rejected from one and waiting to hear back from PCOM these next few weeks. My stats BCMP 3.1 Overall 3.4 Mcat 22 clinic experience, summer program, ec's with leadership, tutor, dean's lists several times. My story= low MCAT do to poor study habits freshman/soph year and overload with sciences. summer after soph+ jun/senior grades drastic improvement but I had already finished most of my preqs. So my plan...retake the mcat and kick ass, trying to get some more hospital experience, and work in hospital next year. So I want to apply again in June...what else can I do in three months? Also, if I apply should I submit my mcat score to be complete, but send letters to schools telling them about taking the august mcat or just wait and be complete in october...?? What should I do? I really would rather not take two years off so if I improve my MCAT will it give me a chance?? Thanks in advance

docbill

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2004
Status
Medical Student
fireorose said:
Hello,
Well this time around I'm doubting my chances of getting in. :( But at least now I know the process and knew I was kidding myself anyway. I had two interviews rejected from one and waiting to hear back from PCOM these next few weeks. My stats BCMP 3.1 Overall 3.4 Mcat 22 clinic experience, summer program, ec's with leadership, tutor, dean's lists several times. My story= low MCAT do to poor study habits freshman/soph year and overload with sciences. summer after soph+ jun/senior grades drastic improvement but I had already finished most of my preqs. So my plan...retake the mcat and kick ass, trying to get some more hospital experience, and work in hospital next year. So I want to apply again in June...what else can I do in three months? Also, if I apply should I submit my mcat score to be complete, but send letters to schools telling them about taking the august mcat or just wait and be complete in october...?? What should I do? I really would rather not take two years off so if I improve my MCAT will it give me a chance?? Thanks in advance
On application there is a spot for last MCAT taken or plan to take.
So you don't have to worry about that.

You may want to retake cources with the worst grades. Recall better grade is used. Depending on the school, you may want to pick up some research experience. Ask the schools you interviewed at, if they can give you feedback and what you can improve on. Send them a letter stating taht you will be making some improvements and you are looking to re-apply.

good luck

Doc 2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
fireorose said:
Hello,
Definitely Apply EARLY!!! They'll see that your taking the MCAT as Bill said. You might even get in before you scores get back. My advice is to apply to schools that tend to lean less on MCAT, that way if you don't do better you set up to at least have a chance to get in school next year. I have had friends (2) who have gotten in with 21's. But...they both had excellent GPAs, both well over 3.5. Do better on the MCAT and you'll be fine...gluck.

kaikai128

Yes SIR. ;-)
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
Beach or Pool, you pick...
Visit site
Status
Shadow a DO...or several. Make sure you find ppl who will write you outstanding letters of recommendation. Make sure you improve in your MCAT the second time around....if this means taking a class or taking time off of work/school to study over the summer...do it! Also, as previously stated, APPLY EARLY...you know whatyou have to do...read other posts on here; there is a lot of repeat on here of info.

drtongue_danger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Las Vegas
Status
Medical Student
fireorose said:
Hello,

other than doing more shawdowing and EC i would say you are doing every thing you need.
the Mcat kicked my trash (20!) but i applied really early. I had a 3.6 sci GPA which i think helped, also I am a EMT (maybe try and do an EMT or CNA it looks good) I got in NOvember at TUCOM-NV. Keep on the admission committies, call them at least one a week and get your name out there. It looks like you will be in medical school soon enough
good luck

CCEMTP2DOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
I am looking for some ideas for research. I am looking to go into ortho after med school. Any ideas?? I am definitely leaning toward D.O. I have been a paramedic for 12 years and have grown to really respect and believe in the osteopathic philosophy. How much will my experience help me in my applications? I am older, probably 39-40 at application time. Grades will be good. I am a very good test taker, so hopefully MCAT will be ok. How much will my experience make up the MCAT if i don't do well? I am beginning to shadow a DO in the summer. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I know that i will be a great Osteopathic doctor, but just want to make sure that I make my application as good as possible. I am looking at MSUCOM, LECOM, PCOM,DMU, AUHCOM (??). I am willing to go wherever I have to go to become a doctor. I may also apply at Wayne State (allopathic), and medical college of Toledo(allopathic), due to proximity to my home. However, my wife is definitely coming around to my passion to the osteopathic path. Thank you for input, as anyhting is greatly appreciated.