I gave it a shot, but now it's time for the backup plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireorose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Well this time around I'm doubting my chances of getting in. But at least now I know the process and knew I was kidding myself anyway. I had two interviews rejected from one and waiting to hear back from PCOM these next few weeks. My stats BCMP 3.1 Overall 3.4 Mcat 22 clinic experience, summer program, ec's with leadership, tutor, dean's lists several times. My story= low MCAT do to poor study habits freshman/soph year and overload with sciences. summer after soph+ jun/senior grades drastic improvement but I had already finished most of my preqs. So my plan...retake the mcat and kick ass, trying to get some more hospital experience, and work in hospital next year. So I want to apply again in June...what else can I do in three months? Also, if I apply should I submit my mcat score to be complete, but send letters to schools telling them about taking the august mcat or just wait and be complete in october...?? What should I do? I really would rather not take two years off so if I improve my MCAT will it give me a chance?? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

fireorose said:
Hello,
Well this time around I'm doubting my chances of getting in. But at least now I know the process and knew I was kidding myself anyway. I had two interviews rejected from one and waiting to hear back from PCOM these next few weeks. My stats BCMP 3.1 Overall 3.4 Mcat 22 clinic experience, summer program, ec's with leadership, tutor, dean's lists several times. My story= low MCAT do to poor study habits freshman/soph year and overload with sciences. summer after soph+ jun/senior grades drastic improvement but I had already finished most of my preqs. So my plan...retake the mcat and kick ass, trying to get some more hospital experience, and work in hospital next year. So I want to apply again in June...what else can I do in three months? Also, if I apply should I submit my mcat score to be complete, but send letters to schools telling them about taking the august mcat or just wait and be complete in october...?? What should I do? I really would rather not take two years off so if I improve my MCAT will it give me a chance?? Thanks in advance

My advice, for what it's worth, is to wait until October. The reason is that even if you tell the schools that there is another MCAT score pending, they may make decisions (at the very least, first impressions) based upon the 22, which you do not want. There are lots of examples of people who get in after applying in October. It's true that you will be at a disadvantage with rolling schools, but it's better than not having a shot at it. Also, you may not hear until later in the cycle if you wait until October. I would play it safe and apply in October.

Best of luck! :)

fireorose said:
Hello,

Hey there! I'm impressed with your great attitude!

Here's my question - how are you doing on the MCAT diagnostic tests? The real AAMC ones? I'd look at that first, to be sure that you will have an improved score this August. And how do you do studying during the summer, when folks are off and havin fun? Are you going to take a prep class?

Also, if you apply in October, you will have already been working in the hospital for a few months, so you can talk about that in the ECs section. What about taking some advanced sciences? Or a special masters, etc. I understand about not wanting to take two years, but I guess that whole point of my questions and my general bloviating is that especially as a re-applicant and re-MCATtaker, you should take the time to be the best applicant you can be. If there is a specific reason you must re-apply this right away, fine - just be sure you know why you feel that is the case.

Finally, and I hope you don't mind me going on, can you talk to some of the admissions people at the schools that rejected you and see if they have any other specific advice?
You got two interviews, so your application has some definite strong points - but why not be sure that the plans you are making to re-apply will really address any of the weak points.

You have the most important thing - persistence! Keep at it. I'm sending you lots of good wishes! And, you still might get in to that other school, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to the Rosalind Franklin / Chicago Medical School, Georgetown or Boston U post-bac programs. Just be ready to work really really hard. If you have any Qs on the Rosalind Franklin Program please PM me.

I am a reapplicant this yr. Last yr I had a 26 and 3.3 and had 3 interviews, but no acceptances. I talked to the directors of admissions at each of the schools I interviewed at and was given very specific advice about my application. I began by taking the Kaplan MCAT prep course and improved my score to a 29. I added to my application by doing additional volunteering at my local hospital in outpatient surgery, as a flood relief volunteer, and as a high school volunteer swim coach. I also diversified my shadowing experiences spending time in several family practices and in the hospital urgent care center. I took a CNA course and gained employment at a skilled nursing facility and in home health to get direct hands on patient experience. I sent my AMCAS application in with my 26 and some schools acted on my application with the 26 knowing there were Aug scores coming. Pre Aug scores, I was rejected by one school, put on hold til my aug score came in by one school, and offered secondaries by 7 schools. This year I have had 4 interviews and been offered 2 acceptances so far, still waiting on the other 2. The advantage to submitting the AMCAS with your old scores is that it gets the ball rolling. I had my first interview this yr on Nov 1st and last Jan 24th. If you wait til Oct you may not interview til later. If you do wait for your new scores have the AMCAS ready to submit as soon as you find out your new scores. I hope this helps some. Good luck, it can be done! :luck:

Hey - I was in your place for the 2003 app cycle. My first piece of advice would be to NOT apply in 3 months. There is nothing you can do in 3 months that will change what schools will see on your app in June or July, even if you plan on taking the August MCAT. Take your time, and reapply when you feel the strongest. Believe me, you do not want to rush into a reapplication and waste time, money and energy without a change in your app.

Here's what I did - full time job in clinical research. Took additional science courses while working. My MCAT was ok, so didn't do anything there. Got some new recommendations. Most importantly, took the time to have a visible change in my app.

Goodluck!! I have no doubts that you will get in next time.

They're right - you could get by with the low GPA (mine was pretty poor because of my Freshman year lol) but a 22 AND a low GPA is the kiss of death - the MCATs are one of the few things that let committees get past certain schools' grade padding. When I was applying I think a 27 was the average score, and a 30 was considered not bad for allopathic schools. Take the year off, study like hell, and get your MCATs and applications done so you can apply as soon as next year's interview cycle opens. You can be impatient and apply with a good chance of being rejected, but you're gambling on the course of your next four years. Lastly if you're going to go in this year with a 22 MCAT, even with a new score pending, you might have an exceptional CV, but you'd do well to cover your bases with osteopathic and international schools too.

Keep in mind the first two years are what separates the men from the boys and make college classes look like vacations, which is why so many threads are entitled, "Is it worth it."

Def try retaking the MCAT, study your ass off.....if you dont mind me asking, have you thought about DO schools too?