I gave my first shot today!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by barb, Oct 12, 2002.

1. barb

barb Senior Member

We just finished midterms this week and I was starting to feel a bit burnt out, but this morning all the excitement I had when school started flooded back. I went to volunteer at a clinic and at first, I just watched while the nurse gave shots. Then I felt I was ready. But the next patient was a baby, so I got as far as getting the baby to be calm (lollypops are truly magical) and I stuck the needle in, but the baby started moving and the needle came out (I was doing a PPD test, so I just needed to go right underneath the skin, and I couldn't let it go any deeper). This was going to be difficult without someone holding the baby down. Since the baby was comfortable with me, I held her down while the nurse gave the shot. She was so good, she stopped fussing and went back to her lollypop as soon as it was over.

The next patient was an adult. I didn't let her know I was a first year and that I had never done this before, she was nervous enough. I just acted like I did this all the time - I prepared the needle at the other side of the room so she wouldn't see it, then I told her to look the other way and I did it! It was awesome! I know it was just a PPD test, but it was so fun!
    This (along with the other patients I got to see today) made it real. After two months of histology slides and anatomy dissections, this was a much needed reminder of why I'm doing this!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MD2b06

MD2b06 Senior Member

Wait till you do your first rectal! ;) Nah, I know how you feel. I did my first full history this week, and it went amazingly well. Ever asked a 70 year old man if he's sexually active? I did. Although I wasn't exactly prepared for his response of "I get some at least twice a week!" :laugh: