I got a 22 ACT, does that mean I will do bad on the MCAT??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclinkin94

Removed
Apr 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I know that there is a strong correlation between the ACT and MCAT scores from previous threads. Does this mean that I suck at standardized testing and will bomb the MCAT?

This act score is a good demoralizer.

music2doc

Student of Mad Doctoring
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I know that there is a strong correlation between the ACT and MCAT scores from previous threads. Does this mean that I suck at standardized testing and will bomb the MCAT?

Nope. Just means you may have more to overcome. The ACT correlates with the MCAT, yes, but it does not determine your MCAT score. Further, even if it did, a 22 ACT is average, so you'd expect somewhere around a 24 MCAT, which is still plenty high to get into a number of DO programs (esp. if you manage a solid GPA).

SnowyRox

Pennwe c/o 2016
Jan 30, 2012
Status
Learn that "bad" is not an adverb and you will be well on your way to succeeding on the MCAT ;-)

angldrps

7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Nope. Just means you may have more to overcome. The ACT correlates with the MCAT, yes, but it does not determine your MCAT score. Further, even if it did, a 22 ACT is average, so you'd expect somewhere around a 24 MCAT, which is still plenty high to get into a number of DO programs (esp. if you manage a solid GPA).
this is not true at all. Since the competition increases every year, by the time OP takes the MCAT and applies, a 24 will definitely be a poor score

Stumpyman

7+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2011
No, it really doesn't have a correlation. Just prepare as hard as you can for the MCAT, and good God the ACT is old news, you're in college now, let go of it and move on to the next big thing.

OP
mclinkin94

mclinkin94

Removed
Apr 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I should have probably mentioned that I didn't really prepare for the ACT. But I still feel like my MCATs will suck.

EBTrailRunner

7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Apples and oranges. You take the MCAT, a fundamentally different test, 3+ years after taking the ACT. I don't consider myself a great standardized test taker. I had a decent ACT score, but I did very well on the MCAT. It all boiled down to having a strong knowledge base and adequate preparation.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I should have probably mentioned that I didn't really prepare for the ACT. But I still feel like my MCATs will suck.
This. Most people don't overly prepare for the SAT or ACT. However, they prepare a lot for the MCAT. No reason to worry.

If there is a trend of doing poorly on exams (such as collegiate exams) consider getting evaluated for any learning problems/difficulties/etc.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student

What's the Person's r on this correlation?

music2doc

Student of Mad Doctoring
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
What's the Person's r on this correlation?
Umm... I know there's a spreadsheet out there with it. I thought it was somewhere in the moderate (.3-.5) range.... definitely not definitive but suggestive if part of a general trend (e.g., GPA, SAT and ACT all on the lower end)

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
I don't know, is a 22 indicative of your true potential? I scored a 1500 on the new SAT because I didn't give two ****s. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I've been scoring 10-11s on the physical science and verbal practice passages.

Sep 11, 2011
Status
Medical Student
The MCAT tests knowledge +critical thinking; ACT tests english, math, and scientific chart-reading. Why would there be any connection?

Sure, they might correlate, but there's a thousand exogenous variables and no mechanism in such a statement.

Work your a** off and you'll do fine.

OP
mclinkin94

mclinkin94

Removed
Apr 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know, is a 22 indicative of your true potential? I scored a 1500 on the new SAT because I didn't give two ****s. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I've been scoring 10-11s on the physical science and verbal practice passages.
I guess that is how I felt at the time. But this ACT thing is just reducing my confidence. I do really well in college (just finished second semester 1st year) tests- I never get B's. In High School, I didn't even get B's. As the ACT's go, I just didn't prepare as I just wanted to see how I would do/how smart I am without even reading the ACT practice book. But I still feel like I do ****ty in standardized tests.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I guess that is how I felt at the time. But this ACT thing is just reducing my confidence. I do really well in college (just finished second semester 1st year) tests- I never get B's. In High School, I didn't even get B's. As the ACT's go, I just didn't prepare as I just wanted to see how I would do/how smart I am without even reading the ACT practice book. But I still feel like I do ****ty in standardized tests.
You have taken one standardized exam. If you're doing well on your collegiate tests you'll have the appropriate stamina for the MCAT granted you prepare sufficiently.

CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2011
Status
Medical Student
You'll be fine. You'll put way more effort into the MCAT than the ACT. I scored a 23 on my ACT (horrible I know) but I got a 33 on my MCAT, albeit a tad bit unbalanced haha

Oct 9, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Ehh, I think you will do much better on the MCAT. I'm sure that your study habits are much better in college than in high school.

1TB4RKSB4CK

wussup doge
5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Miami
Status
Pre-Medical
There's your answer.
Everybody prepares for the MCAT.
Hell even some of the most intelligent people in college probably wouldn't break a 30 if they took it without ANY preparation.
MCAT is a marathon and there is a certain way to run through the test; people have different methods but when it comes down to the test, all the high scorers prepared very well.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
May 21, 2011
Status
Probably little correlation between the two tests, but the type of person who would do well on the ACT may do better on the MCAT.

GreenStyle

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2010
South Korea
Status
Non-Student

:troll::diebanana:

Dec 20, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical

This act score is a good demoralizer.[/QUOT

No, it means you will get a 22 on the MCAT. Good luck!

sotto voce

Removed
May 13, 2012
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just forget about the ACT altogether. These two tests are drastically different. The ACT tests common knowledge you accumulate K-12. I took one practice test and scored in the 99th percentile. The MCAT is much more specific (and way harder), yet it is a very broad test, paradoxically. My decent ACT score doesn't mean *hit for the MCAT.

tl;dr Forget about the ACT. It is irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.