1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I got a 23 :(

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by sadgirl79, Oct 4, 2002.

1. sadgirl79

sadgirl79 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hello everyone,
    I can't believe i did so badly. I got 9V,7bio,7ps and R. I already submitted AMCAS to 16 schools, should I waste my money with secondaries or just chalk it up to $600 + $200 (for the MCAT) down the drain. I feel like crying ...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jennyw17

jennyw17 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I totally know how you feel. I got a 24 and was expecting better. It's difficult to say about applying. I've decided that i'm going to apply to the schools that I really want to, (like 4) because i don't wanna feel like what if and that i didn't even try...not that i really feel like i'll get in. just an idea, i'll send you a message telling you more.
    but don't beat yourself up too badly

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

:( i'm sorry :(
    when i left the testing center i thought i got somewhere around a 23 or 24. i told myself that i was just going to pretend like it didn't happen and go on with my secondaries. i do have some things that stand out on my application so figured those things would have to pull me through. also, i'm getting up there in years and don't want to put off med school and having children for more than a year. since i could afford it i figured i'd give it a shot.
    if i were in college or just out i might have felt differently.
    realistically your chances aren't too good unless you have a great gpa and extra curriculars. if you are urm even better. i'd say if you have the time and money go ahead and keep applying. if you don't, you might be better off studying for the april test and reapplying next year.
    good luck! know that there are loads of people with disappointing scores. half the people got below a 25!

5. I think you should still apply to your state school and maybe a few lower tier schools. If you have good LORs and a good GPA you may still have a chance. Also it may help to take a few upper division science classes this year. If you do well in them it can help to compensate for your science scores.

6. ruraldr2b

ruraldr2b ruraldoc
    7+ Year Member

In a similar situation.

Has anyone heard of anyone getting into anywhere but there state school with these kind of scores. (Have great grades, recs., and activities)

7. Also an adcom member once told me of a girl he admitted that had an MCAT score of 15. In fact he said he stood in front of the adcom and told them that if they didn't take this person then they shouldn't take any of the applicants he approved.

Granted she was a flat out star in every other area but still nice to to hear a story like that. So anyway scores aren't everything but you do need to try and have insane stats in other areas.

8. ruraldr2b

ruraldr2b ruraldoc
    7+ Year Member

Thanks

I am still applying to the schools I want to. Hopefully I walk on water in all of the other areas. I have also been out of school for a year or so doing research, volunteering, and taking graduate level courses

9. woolie

woolie Intermountain West
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys, I give you alot of credit for even looking online; I am too cowardly to check and feel like I need a week or so to read other people's reactions etc to gear up for my MCAT letter saying I got a 23, or whatever. I have to really prepare myself.

You all sound so thoughtful and sensitive - just what would make a great Doctor.

:love:

10. avr

avr

No reason to be sad. You just retake it, like a million other people have done and do better the second time (I did). As a matter of fact, I'm starting to think the best way to prepare for the MCAT is to take it. I took it last August, wasn't happy, then took in in April, voided my score (knew I would), and then took it in August and am happy with what I got (though I think I would have been fine with the April score). This may sound nuts, and it is perhaps expensive, but in retrospect I think the best way to go (in addition to studying) is taking the actual test as a run through, voiding that score, and then taking the real thing the next time around. My verbal score went up 3 points.

11. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Im in the same situatiion. got a lower score than you. Just sent out some applications to some DO schools and some state schools. Dont know what todo now. My gpa isn't strong, actually pretty weak. and my extracurricular isn't outstanding either.