I got a 504 and I'm taking 2 gap years now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fdsa2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 504(126/125/127/126) on June 13th release date and I need to retake. I was going to apply this year but will now take another gap year to do better. I want to take my MCAT before January 2018. I need to know what to do so I can improve my score. I did do well in undergrad (3.84) and I know I have the potential. It's not about understanding concepts, because I understand most bio/chem concepts easily. Timing isn't a problem either, the problem is memorizing/remembering things that I've learned. During my undergrad, most of the time I studied a little everyday and then before the exam I would memorize everything, take the exam, and then forget everything I learned after the exam. I always did well with this method so I never thought of changing it but obviously this is not working out for the MCAT.

Please help me in reconsidering my study method to score better next time:

- I did not make a schedule, I would study whenever I could because of my random work hours (full time); my plan is to make a schedule and try to stick with it
- I took 2 NS practice tests and got super lazy when I started section banks; complete all AAMC material (IDK why I kept thinking a miracle was going to happen, I score 498 and 500 on the practice)
- I studied with a friend who ended up not taking the MCAT and switched to another career choice - this really through my entire studying off
- I did not read any prep books thoroughly, I would skim through and then do the practice problems in the back for EK books

I really just need some motivation right now, and I really really need some help figuring out how I can do well. I was so good in college but after I graduated I have lost all my motivation and am so burned out, IDK what to do

Members don't see this ad.

You got a 498 and 500 on the AAMC FL's and got a 504 on the real thing? That in itself is a small miracle and may be a sign from the DO divine that you should apply this cycle and be happy with that.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want to go DO, I really want to do MD/PhD or MD and I know if I take the DO route I'm going hold a regret feeling for the rest of my life. That's why I'm willing to take another gap year and get in a school where I'm happy and not just rushing to get somewhere in. Thanks for the advice but I just want to do well on the MCAT and wait till next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't want to go DO, I really want to do MD/PhD or MD and I know if I take the DO route I'm going hold a regret feeling for the rest of my life. That's why I'm willing to take another gap year and get in a school where I'm happy and not just rushing to get somewhere in. Thanks for the advice but I just want to do well on the MCAT and wait till next year.

have you looked at lower tier MD schools? with that mcat/gpa, it's possible if submitted early (assuming you hold a strong app as a whole, that is).

have you looked at lower tier MD schools? with that mcat/gpa, it's possible if submitted early (assuming you hold a strong app as a whole, that is).
I have looked into it but I don't want to risk applying with such a low score. I saved up money to apply and I don't want to waste it on a cycle where I may or may not have a chance.

I want to know how to do better, I'm not really satisfied with my current score and don't feel comfortable applying at this time

I have looked into it but I don't want to risk applying with such a low score. I saved up money to apply and I don't want to waste it on a cycle where I may or may not have a chance.

I want to know how to do better, I'm not really satisfied with my current score and don't feel comfortable applying at this time

i understand. if you want mcat advice, feel free to pm me.

In that case, look under the sticky threads on the MCAT discussions page. There are a few plans on there that many SDN members have found success with.

If you're scoring that low, memorization is not the only problem. You need to do tons of practice questions until you become familiar with how the test is written and how to choose the right answer.

You got a 498 and 500 on the AAMC FL's and got a 504 on the real thing? That in itself is a small miracle and may be a sign from the DO divine that you should apply this cycle and be happy with that.
Couldn't agree more. Even if you get like a 510 many schools will factor in both scores. so that'll put u at a 507 which isn't that much different from a 504

I would listen to the advice about applying DO and low-tier MD. Arguably, I think most people would say that they preferred MD to DO when applying, but the truth of the matter is, if your highest practice exam was a 500 and you pulled a 504 on the real deal, you should be looking at it as a blessing. You could have easily scored < 500, and there's no saying you won't score worse on a retake. Also, like @Kingsmen2018 said, unless you score significantly better, it won't change the way your app is perceived much. Schools will still see your 504.

I would apply this cycle broadly to both DO and low-tier MD, while studying for a retake. Take a couple of practice tests after doing some more studying. If you're not scoring 510+, I wouldn't retake.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar boat - scored a similar score on the first MCAT and then studied for 1 full year and scored a 517 on my re-take. It's possible but requires so much work that it's hard to justify it in a lot of cases.

I created a thread earlier outlining what I did:

27 (1st try) to 35 (re-take) - What I did

Let me know if you have any questions