I got a D!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmijo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising sophomore and this I just completed a summer program. Part of the program required I enroll in an upper division bio class, A&P. Well because of various factors, one being I have not even taken gen bio yet, I got a D. It is devastating. Thus far my lowest grade is a B. I have a 3.5. How will I undo this WRONG?!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you repeat it?

As far as the AMCAS application goes, repeating it will not replace the D (they take all grades into account) but an A in the class will show that you are able to handle the work. If you work hard enough, that A is attainable, even if you've never taken gen bio. Because you're still in school, I would DEFINITELY recommend retaking the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation you're in, only I got an F (forgot to sign withdraw paperwork my freshman year) in an art class. It's a rare person that doesn't make some sort of academic mistake during college. Most of the doctors I shadow have some sort of messed up grade on their record and got through it O.K.
Their advise to me was to don't do it again and it shouldn't matter. Shows that your human.

Just work hard and do better next time. In future courses, make sure you don't get in over your head- ask for help early on if you find you're having trouble in a course or drop the course before the deadline.
I'd suggest going back and taking General Bio first, then repeating the class, maybe next summer. And don't let anyone talk you into taking a course without the required prerequisites again!
If you're worried about the effect on getting into medical school, relax. I got into medical school- including one top-20 school- with 2 D's, 2 F's, and several W's on my transcript.

My advice would be the same as the others -- to retake the class and demonstrate that you can, in fact, handle the work and recieve a better grade. If this were a non-biology class, I would probably advise you to cut your losses and move on. I obtained a D in a physics class as a senior, and although med schools asked about it sometimes, it didn't seem to really effect my acceptances . . . only my GPA. You can recover from one poor grade. I would make sure, though, if I were you, not to get any more Ds.

Yup, I say you need to retake if at all possible. Think of it this way: In an adcoms' eyes, what does a D in anatomy and physiology say about your promise as a physician? This is not to say that it would be a correct conclusion, especially in light of your circumstances, but it's one that they probably would make.
BTW, what kind of school LETS, let alone MAKES you take A&P w/o at least one semester of general bio? That's ridiculous.

If you're worried about the effect on getting into medical school, relax. I got into medical school- including one top-20 school- with 2 D's, 2 F's, and several W's on my transcript.

Wow, that's definitely not typical. Kd, can i ask what top-20 school this was? Your situation is certainly exceptional; not many students are accepted into a top-20 school (let alone med school at all) with several grades below C.

Just work hard and do better next time. In future courses, make sure you don't get in over your head- ask for help early on if you find you're having trouble in a course or drop the course before the deadline.

How did you pull that off? stats please. . . :eek: