1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

I got a verbal score of 9. Should I retake to be more competitive?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by lomend, May 16, 2007.

1. lomend

lomend New Member

Pre-Medical
    I just got my scores today and I got a 33R but I did much better on biology than physical sciences and verbal:

Verbal: 9
    Biological Sciences: 14
    Physical Sciences: 10
    Writing: R

My question is, should I retake the test? My scores seem so polar. I'm not confident that I'd be competitive enough for California schools because of the verbal score and physical sciences score

Here are other things to consider: My GPA is a 3.83, I have limited clinical experience (1 yr), and 1.5 years of research with no publication.

Maybe I'm just freaking out because I did lower than expected. I know some of you would call me crazy but I would still appreciate any input on this. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vicinihil

vicinihil Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey man,

I'm taking it again with a 9, 12, 12....one more time for the big dance! I would retake just because of that 9...that's why I'm doing it. Up to you, ofcourse we might fall lower on the other scores :scared: but heaven forbid!

4. sexyman

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You guys should definitely take it again

5. RockChalk11

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm in the same boat.. 13PS-9VR-14BS for a 36O.
    My verbal and writing scores were less than I had hoped for, although I couldn't be happier with my science scores. While 9 is at the very bottom of my verbal range on practice tests (9-12), I was at the top of my ranges for the sciences. I never really practiced the writing portion and feel I could have done better there as well. I'm hoping that with a well-written personal statement plus a good interview I will be able to get into a good school. At the end of this semester I'll have around a 3.9 with 2 years of research and some volunteering/shadowing in a hospital.

What does everyone think? Are the 9 and O going to hurt my chances to get into a top school?

6. vicinihil

vicinihil Member

Resident [Any Field]
    because most med schools ( i hear) correlate verbal with success on Step 1, I think a lower score in sciences hurt less than a lower score in verbal. Its up to you. Sounds like you have a great profile otherwise...(guy above me)

7. PT2MD

PT2MD Hold my beer...
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Does Mensa have a medical school? Dang guys, those are pretty good scores...I'd like to see the statistics on those scoring that high on their MCAT who aren't admitted. I wouldn't retake but maybe I should set my bar a little higher.

8. calbears86

calbears86 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    yeah, im also in the same boat. VR 9 PS 13 BS 13 WS M.
    I have a 3.9 GPA and a lot of good EC's. I also have research publications and good LORs. I want to be competitive in CA, but im thinking of retaking because of the 9 and M. What do you all think? thanks in advance for the advice!!

congrats to everyone on their scores....its crazy how many people are scoring above a 30.

9. killinsound

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    well crap!

what about my VR: 10, PS 13, BS, 13? WS: S

i mean 10 isnt that much better than 9?

is it a world of difference?

10. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you are more than fine... all of you probably are...

11. vicinihil

vicinihil Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Everyone's Going Crazy Retake Everyone!

12. PT2MD

PT2MD Hold my beer...
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I'm sure some of you have broken the statistics down for your state, and that stats don't tell the whole story. However I found some interesting stats for Texas applicants & matriculants for 2005:

54 of the 143 folks who scored 35+ on the MCAT matriculated (38%)

The matriculation rate for those who scored in the 28-33 range was closer to 50%. The mind blower for me was that those scoring in the 26-27 range matriculated at a rate close (34%) to those who scored over 35. Obviously there are more to these numbers worth examining, but I thought they might add something to the conversation.

13. UMP

UMP Recovered Under-Achiever
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    maybe because the 35+ people are more likely to MATRICULATE at better schools outside of the state? :idea:

14. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i personally wouldn't retake any of your 9s. your sciences were high enough that they may be lower on retake and a 9 is not that bad honestly i have a friend who got a 13V and 9 BSand he hasn't gotten into as many schools or gotten as many interviews as i got with a 9V 12BS ( i will point out that i retook and had a 10V prior to retaking which isn't that much better). I for one go against most of SDN and say that the sciences subscores are way more important than verbal as long as your verbal is 9+. especially the 36O query, i def wouldn't retake.

15. PT2MD

PT2MD Hold my beer...
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Makes sense...