I got accepted to pitt but am considering reapplying for state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phillydon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys - I wanted to hear your thoughts on a situation I am facing. I got accepted to Pitt, but waitlisted to dental college of Georgia. I really want to stay in GA to remain close to my family and the cost savings would be HUGE.

Would it be really stupid to wait for another year and reapply with the hope I get in to my state school next year? I am also a non trad applicant (been out of school 5 years) so the thought of waiting another year really stinks.

Members don't see this ad.

You got into Pitt. Go and don't look back.

Reactions: 5 users
What you can do is notify Pitt that you'll be declining the acceptance. Notify Georgia that you did this because you are serious about attending them instead. When Georgia adcoms see that, they'll probably take you off the waitlist or accept you the following cycle.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed by me are 99.34% fact. All rights reserved, but some wrongs may apply.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What you can do is notify Pitt that you'll be declining the acceptance. Notify Georgia that you did this because you are serious about attending them instead. When Georgia adcoms see that, they'll probably take you off the waitlist or accept you the following cycle.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed by me are 99.34% fact. All rights reserved, but some wrongs may apply.

I think I will pass on this advice :)

Hi guys - I wanted to hear your thoughts on a situation I am facing. I got accepted to Pitt, but waitlisted to dental college of Georgia. I really want to stay in GA to remain close to my family and the cost savings would be HUGE.

Would it be really stupid to wait for another year and reapply with the hope I get in to my state school next year? I am also a non trad applicant (been out of school 5 years) so the thought of waiting another year really stinks.

I mean a waitlist isn't the same as a rejection, i would wait and see what happens with Georgia. Maybe send them a letter of intent and let them know you would like to attend.

Does Georgia have a guarantee for 2nd time applicants?

If you don't get into DCG next year, will you drop another acceptance and wait another year to reapply for DCG?

Reactions: 1 users
As a second time applicant on 3 waitlists, this makes me want to die.

My advice is biased but I would not apply again, stay with Pitt. Yes the money is a big difference but you won't have trouble paying it off.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
have you expressed your interest to Georgia and how you already have an acceptance, despite them being your #1 choice still?

No, it's not worth it. I say this as another person from Georgia. Go to Pitt and don't look back.

Reactions: 2 users
Yo Dawg, why u do dis? Pay your deposit for Pitts and wait for Georgia. If Georgia accepts you, then you pay the deposit and go. So what if you lose your deposit for Pitts, you're saving money nonetheless. If Georgia doesn't accept you, then you still go to Pitts.

Are you okay? This application cycle must have punched you around hasn't it? I hope you still have some sense left for dental school.

Reactions: 6 users
tell GA you got into Pitt, but would rather go to GA... they will prob take you off the WL

Reactions: 1 users
Go to Pitt. Pitt is the cheapest private school there is. Go to it.

ok, this is reassuring. I will go to pitt. This was a stupid question

Reactions: 3 users
Let Georgia know your predicament. Definitely have a backup plan if your plan goes south and
ok, this is reassuring. I will go to pitt. This was a stupid question

Definitely let Georgia know how interested you are in them.

so why did you apply to Pitt if you don't want to go

Reactions: 1 user
so why did you apply to Pitt if you don't want to go
He/she obviously wants to go; some people don't actually realize that they can be in this situation. When y0u're applying, you want to just get in, and you would think you'll get in your in-state rather than out-state, especially if you get several interviews. I feel you OP, I'm in the same boat, and I didn't even think I'll be in this situation, especially when its a +100k difference and away from family. I know people say "think if that school is the only school you would get accepted into," but still its just at the back of your mind when applying.
But we made it this far, and at least we got into a dental school; better than doing the whole process again without any guarantee. Like someone said here, paying it off won't be an issue. Go to Pitt if you don't hear back from Georgia. At the end of the day, the school that accepts you is the one, I forgot the saying but yeah lol