I got an F in Orgo II. Now I need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nutmegger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating this summer with a degree in Computer Science. However, I also decided to take all the pre-health prerequisites (bio, physics, chem, orgo), since I also had an interest in allied-health professions. However, a couple of years ago, I had a rough semester for personal reasons (I don't want to get into exact details for privacy reasons) and I ended up getting poor grades that semester, including an F in Organic Chemistry 2. Every other semester, my grades have been quite good. My overall GPA is a 3.5.

Even though I got an F in Orgo 2, it was not essential to my major and will not hamper my graduation. My concerns are how it might affect my desires to seek allied-health careers I desire, and how I can overcome any such concerns. I'm interested in medical school, dental school, and pharmacy school. I'm also interested in computer science, and might pursue a graduate degree in that instead, if the F is too much to overcome.

Anyway, I really am in need of advice, so I though I would post here. I have read these forums before, but this is my first post. Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Retake.

Consider adding B chem if pursuing med skool.

Did you do anything else for allied health, dentistry or medicine?

I really miss nutmegging people. But I had to give it up for med school. No time to nutmeg anyone during third year, at least no time to literally nutmeg people. Of course, it is still possible to intellectually nutmeg people, but you miss the physicality and sheer exhileration of a real nutmeg.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake.

Consider adding B chem if pursuing med skool.

Did you do anything else for allied health, dentistry or medicine?

Well, I also did volunteer work at a local hospital for a couple of years. However, I haven't done any research work.

Also, I already took Biochemistry (it was the only upper level science class I did) and I got a B+ in the subject.

Considering a year of organic chem is a core prereq, I think you're kind of behooved to retake it. Most schools want a C (preferably higher) in all prereqs.

The one mitigating factor is your B+ in biochem, a great grade, but it doesn't negate that you didn't pass orgo II. Just explain in your app what was up that semester (no need to hash it out here), do better in the retake (an averaged "C" from your F and a retake A is better than an F of course for AMCAS's purposes), pass go, collect $200.

Just retake it and get an A. You'll be fine with your overall GPA.

Retake but make sure you pinpoint where you went wrong, and to not fail it again.

Certain schools, and I have applied to 1 or 2 like this. Accept Biochemistry in orgo 2s place. I say retake and take biochem and KILL it.!

I agree with others, you would definitely be doing yourself a favor if you took the course again. I would be very hesitant to submit a transcript to a med school that had an F in a prerequisite course (or...any course). You are going to be in school for a while as it is (whether it be for med, dental or pharmacy) so taking a course again won't be setting you back much at all. Go for it, good luck!

Well, I also did volunteer work at a local hospital for a couple of years. However, I haven't done any research work.

Also, I already took Biochemistry (it was the only upper level science class I did) and I got a B+ in the subject.
Research isn't strictly necessary. You'll need both clinical exp and non-clinical volunteer work.

Can you do genetics, immu, cell, devo, b stats, something like that?

Did you get under a C in anything else?

Okay, I just finished retaking Organic Chemistry 2 this summer, and I finished with a final grade of an A-. What do you think - is that good enough?

Any advice and help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Congrats Nutmegger! I think you should be fine assuming the rest of your grades are up to par! I know this is SDN and all but I know of several students that have been accepted to great medical schools with an F (gasp) on their transcript. Maintain a high gpa and study hard for the MCAT and you should be good to go!

I don't think you need anyone to tell you to retake the class before you submit your application and study harder.

Okay, I just finished retaking Organic Chemistry 2 this summer, and I finished with a final grade of an A-. What do you think - is that good enough?

Yes, that's good enough.

Even if it wasn't, what are you going to do, retake again for a full A?

An A- still shows you learned from your previous mistake and really learned the material this time. I doubt anyone will be put off by the minus sign next to the A.
I don't think you need anyone to tell you to retake the class before you submit your application and study harder.
You didn't read the thread, did you? :rolleyes:

You didn't read the thread, did you? :rolleyes:
I read the first post and then I...

n119191_n113766_stopped%20reading%20there.jpg

:cool:

good job! :thumbup: definitely

I love seeing when people update threads, it makes me happy haha