txlonghorn2314

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
Wow, alright I'm almost too embarrassed to even post this on a forum...but I'm doing so in hopes that quite possibly I could help pick up the pieces of my shattered confidence.

So about two weeks ago, I took one of the EK verbal's 30 minute timed test and scored a 9 (15/23).

I began officially studying for the MCAT two days ago, as my test day is in 4 months. Yesterday, after studying for the biology section for 5 hours, it was safe to say I was VERY exhausted (I definitely have some much stamina to build). That being said, I took a 15 minute break and decided to take another EK verbal test from EK's Verbal and Math techniques book.

.... I scored too low to even be scaled (5/23 correct). WHAT THE HELL. I try to tell myself that I was exhausted, that it was a fluke, that I have 4 months to drastically improve, but c'mon, something like this can really mess up someone's confidence. Please tell me that this has happened to someone else who went on to do well on the real thing, or something because...damn, this threw me for a loop.

Thank you for your input!!!

Reactions: chancemd
Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow, alright I'm almost too embarrassed to even post this on a forum...but I'm doing so in hopes that quite possibly I could help pick up the pieces of my shattered confidence.

So about two weeks ago, I took one of the EK verbal's 30 minute timed test and scored a 9 (15/23).

I began officially studying for the MCAT two days ago, as my test day is in 4 months. Yesterday, after studying for the biology section for 5 hours, it was safe to say I was VERY exhausted (I definitely have some much stamina to build). That being said, I took a 15 minute break and decided to take another EK verbal test from EK's Verbal and Math techniques book.

.... I scored too low to even be scaled (5/23 correct). WHAT THE HELL. I try to tell myself that I was exhausted, that it was a fluke, that I have 4 months to drastically improve, but c'mon, something like this can really mess up someone's confidence. Please tell me that this has happened to someone else who went on to do well on the real thing, or something because...damn, this threw me for a loop.

Thank you for your input!!!
I once did a passage, got 3/7 ... without looking at which ones I got right and wrong, I retook it like 10 days after, and got 1/7 :)

I don't know where to begin but if I tell you about my verbal stories.. you will laugh.... you only started while I've started a while ago ... you are doing fine .. 5/23 is clearly a fluke ...

OP
txlonghorn2314

txlonghorn2314

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2013
Status
I once did a passage, got 3/7 ... without looking at which ones I got right and wrong, I retook it like 10 days after, and got 1/7 :)

I don't know where to begin but if I tell you about my verbal stories.. you will laugh.... you only started while I've started a while ago ... you are doing fine .. 5/23 is clearly a fluke ...
Trust me I won't laugh. I just don't understand how a score can range so drastically. Is consistency just something that builds over the months of studying? I'm not sure if I should continue to do timed verbal tests, or just do like 6 individual passages a day, one at a time, and after each one analyzing the ones I get wrong and what not. Idk what the best thing to do from this point is.

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Trust me I won't laugh. I just don't understand how a score can range so drastically. Is consistency just something that builds over the months of studying? I'm not sure if I should continue to do timed verbal tests, or just do like 6 individual passages a day, one at a time, and after each one analyzing the ones I get wrong and what not. Idk what the best thing to do from this point is.
I'm probably not the best VR person here but I think it's best not to do timed from the beginning. In order to score well in VR there are multiple components that you would need to have... only one of them is speed ! English is my second language and my vocab is very limited so if you give me like 15 minutes to do each passage I still won't get 7/7 .... so the first step is to identify what it is that you need to improve.. speed? reading comprehension? vocab? and then target those specifically....

in a nutshell, I suggest you do a mix of timed and untimed to identify if speed is one of your weaknesses (for me it is not !) I think doing one passage at a time is a good startpoint..

OP
txlonghorn2314

txlonghorn2314

5+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2013
Status
Yeah I can't figure out what went wrong. I've always done well in my english and literature classes...i've always been good at reading. Its like the other day, I narrowed it down to two and EVERY choice I made was the wrong one. >.<

Sep 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I can't figure out what went wrong. I've always done well in my english and literature classes...i've always been good at reading. Its like the other day, I narrowed it down to two and EVERY choice I made was the wrong one. >.<
it takes time ... (positive comments coming from a person who still sucks at verbal )

nemo123

5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Don't put too much stock in EK. Their passages are too interesting and their answer choices are literally regurgitations of the text (when you take the test the next time, don't do any interpretation of the passages and take everything for face value). If you score more poorly on AAMC VR, that would be an issue.

Last edited:

Maggie Stone

5+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In the same boat as you. I was freaked out by my score that I posted a topic about it too haha
I did kaplan's VR practice tests in the review book before I did the practice exams in the EK verbal & math book, so I was really shocked when I was scoring worse on EK than I did on the kaplan ones. You have a lot of time, since your test is in 4 months. Verbal is something that takes more time to improve on from what I've heard- it requires a lot of practicing. One thing I really learned how to do is just read the passage & read the questions very carefully (got many wrong because I read it too fast). And when you go to answer the question, really think about the context of the passage & what the author is all about.