I got in to NYMC!!!! my first!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnstoner

Ben Franklin on Hashish
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hheeeee!!!!!! I'm sooooooo happy......

Members don't see this ad.

hey congrats! :clap: I love it when people have good news ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations!!! isn't it a good feeling :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

woohoo! Congrats! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jOHNSTONER-

I am so happy for you! NYMC is an awesome school and I just know you're going to be an excellent physician!

hey..can you tell me about your interview..what they asked..how did it go, etc. etc.

Congratulations!!! :)

Thanks guys...I am so happy that I got into a medical school...now i can play my new playstation 2 all day and night without worry.

About my interview...I had Fern Juster who is the Associate Dean of Admissions...she was pretty friendly and nice. We had an interesting conversation on a lot of things. One was about my research which took about 15 minutes of the interview time..i went into a lot of detail and we both agreed in the end that researchers are a bit contrary to physicians in that information is hoarded to get authorship, recognition, etc while physicians were more about promoting teamwork and such and such.

Another question was why NYMC and why medicine...I almost screwed up b/c i was so nervous i almost said albany medical college (which i'm not even applying to but somehow got into my head) maybe it was b/c i was talking about albany to a friend a week ago...anyway there was no real stressors...talked about my struggle with weight control...(now i'm pretty fit). She also asked if there were going to be any red flags on my application which i wanted to justify...

overall, NYMC experience was really good. The student hosts were awesome and we had like lasagne night or something with 15 other people so i got to meet a lot of people there.

if anyone has any questions...PM me...i'll be happy to chat with you.

Again thanks SDN...I'm sooooo addicted to this site. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hurrah, fellowBen Franklin avatar! I can imagine how u feel! Hope my turn comes soon!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

how long did the interview last?

what else did you talk about.

if you do not have research....what do you think you will have to talk about instead

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm.. why did the weight control issue come into play? did they bring it up, or did you...if so, why did you bring it up?? are tehy harsh, and expect everyoen to be physicall fit?

btw, are you male or female.

Whoot Whoot!! Congrats johnstoner :clap:

Hey dude,

congrats!!!! Possibly the best feeling ever, huh?

have a sam adams on me :cool:

cheers,

Tom

Congrats dude! :clap:

It definitely is the best feeling in the world! It's been a month for me, and I'm still on cloud 9. All of a sudden, I don't have a care in the world... :D

I've lost all motivation at work, too. Show up, surf SDN for most of the day, and then take off early. I can't wait to quit!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about NYMC. I went to graduate school there and I've also lived in the area (Westchester County) for most of my life... ;)

again thanks guys...I haven't felt this good since forever... you know its the kind of stress relief that nomatter what happens this application cycle...you'll be a doctor!

AMCAS: 700 dollars
School Secondaries: 1000+ dollars
Interviews: 2000 dollars (flying from hawaii)
Medical School Acceptance Letter: priceless. :D

about the interview again... I brought up my weight issue b/c I wrote that on my personal statement...it has to be one of the reasons why I wanted to be a doctor...btw i lost over 70 pounds. imagine a blubbery 230 pounds at 5'2'' and then 155 pounds at 6'

so you can see that I had a big change. Also talked about medical problems i had...btw i had 4 surgeries...mostly orthopedic injuries such as spine, leg, foot, etc, etc.

my interview was the full 45 minutes long. For some reason all my interviews have either gone the full length of time or overtime which i hope is a good sign...i'm not planning to change my interview style now.

I had 4 years of research and I'm going to get a paper out finally! But if you don't have research to talk about...i think the interviewers will find something else to talk about. I pretty much used the stuff on SDN that a person posted with like 4 pages of interview questions...looked it over but mostly I realized that its important to know

1. why you want to be a doctor
2. why do you want to go to that particular school
3. tell me about yourself.

those three questions pop up alll the time!

anyhoo thanx peeple...now i'm going to go and celebrate again but this time with my babe. last night my family went out to stuart andersen's and then bought a playstation!

by the way I am male.

Hi johnstoner, by any chance..would you be so kind to give us the link to the other poster that put up all the interview questions. i guess for us struggling pre meds that have not made it yet.

btw, $2000 for airplane costs from hawaii...that's not that bad, at all....who do you use. this wasn't only one airplane ticket was it?...where else did you interview?

are you a standard med school student acceptee..meaning 4 years of college...did research all 4 years.

hey johnstoner...you said you were 5'2" then lost weight at 6 feet tall.. is this true? did you gain 10 inches in height while you were in college. how did this happen?? what's your secret. you're a Scottie Pippen/ David Robinson success story.

btw, did the gain in height cause you to loose weight? or did you loose weight, then grow.

I kind of regret losing so much weight when i had my growth spurt... its funny b/c i lost my first 20 pounds when i added 6 inches to my height. This was between soph and junior year of high school. then i lost 20-30 pounds per year while adding a few inches...here and there.

The thing is that my bro is 6' 3'' and I figure i stunted my growth three inches b/c i was losing weight too fast. basically I starved myself and limited my meals to 1 meal per day which is not great if you aren't taking any vitamins...

hey i'll try to bump it if i can find it...its gonna take some time...but it was really helpful...whoever wrote it was sooo kind and awesome!

it was more than one ticket...I use orbitz mostly so i can keep tabs on my miles and stuff...also b/c i can choose my own seats, and its really convenient.

ticket to east coast can cost about 650 dollars if bought way ahead of time

ticket to new orleans cost me about 570 dollars.
ticket to west coast or cali cost about 350
ticket to seoul korea cost me 900 well that was for vacation so that doesn't count!

i'm not really a cookie cutter applicant...but I did have 4 years of research...including ALL the summers!!!! so i have a **** load of research time in the lab....

did the basic hospital stuff, tutoring inner city, etc etc...spiced it up by doing some equestrian and scuba diving...and whatnot...so i just tried to do what most pre meds did but i made sure that I also did stuff that was interesting and what i wanted to do...i think doing the stuff that is interesting to you and more unorthodoxed ie...cheerleading, sports, painting exhibits, or wahtever is a good thing...its really those things that make you stand out and have something to talk about during the interviews.

obviously you need the number...i think there are a LOT of SDNers who have been way more successful than me such as DW who can give you better advice...

one thing i regret is...AUGUST MCAT!!!!! dang that august mcat...and also apply to as many schools as you can afford!!!! its a random process so its important to apply to as many...and then pick and choose your interviews or acceptances.

any more questions let me know and i'll be happy to oblige ....CHEERS!

Hey, Johnstoner, just wondering if you could help out a med school hopeful with some info.

so what were your stats that got you into NYMC.

Are you a first time applicant or reapplicant.

Are you going to med school right out of college...or did you do 4 years of full time research job after college?

any advice...to an applicant w/ no interviews, applied late, and poor mcat scores

there's nothing better than seeing a committed SDNer get into
medical school. congrats, and don't forget to fill us all in about life
at nymc.

I know i'm replying to my own thread to people who want their questions answered about getting in and not PMing but i think it hopefully might help others...

so here I go...

1. apply early (I didn't b/c of august mcats)
2. get recs from professors or whomever as early as reasonably possible...i noticed that people that a lot of problem with this.
3. enjoy your college years...(I didn't realize this until senior year...o how i miss senior year)
4. apply when you feel that your application is as good as it can get (which means waiting for a year if that has to be the case to let your senior year grades count...i also heard that some schools discourage you from reapplying too many times. But also don't wait too long too.
5. make sure you do something productive during that "year off" instead of just applying because in case you don't get in that year...you have some experiences for next year. At this point, I'm going to be working for the Sheraton Waikiki hehe.
6. study for mcats like you never studied before...if you have to take august mcat...apply the next app cycle!!!! I mean you can still get in but if you want "maximum" chances...timing is key so don't feel pressured to take the april mcat if you cannot because I also could not do it since i was writing up my senior thesis and getting experiments done.

if others can add to this or amend it if you feel i'm wrong...it would be great.

also...I did 4 years of research while i was going to school so its not like i had 4 years of "research associate" position. But i did work about 15-25 hours/ week every week during the school year and then 40-50 hours during the summers and other breaks.

Originally posted by JJNY
Congrats dude! :clap:

It definitely is the best feeling in the world! It's been a month for me, and I'm still on cloud 9. All of a sudden, I don't have a care in the world... :D

I've lost all motivation at work, too. Show up, surf SDN for most of the day, and then take off early. I can't wait to quit!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about NYMC. I went to graduate school there and I've also lived in the area (Westchester County) for most of my life... ;)

Congratulations on your acceptance, John! I wanna be you when I grow up.

Hey JJ, I have 2 years until I apply and all I seem to be doing is surfing SDN during the day also.

Jeez!

Onyx

Congrats to a fellow Hawaii peep! :clap: :clap:

And I know all about interview costs...I just spent mad ca$h flying to various interviews on the mainland.

yeah johnny boy

through and through ive admired you for your straightforwardness and coolness. congrats on your acceptance- i hope i end up somewhere that accepts people like you- a little more relaxed et al.

sham

congratulations, johnstoner :)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

when did you interview? thanks.

grand theft auto - vice city
very nice game