I got low Comlex level 1. Can I still match into FM? :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corporateflea

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got my Level 1 score....it's very low at around 430~450, first try...Never took USMLE
Never repeated a year or failed a course...
DO applicant..

Can I still match? In the context of ACGME merger and everything...do I still stand a chance? I don't particularly care about location or AOA vs ACGME

Should I take a leave for a year and study for USMLE step 1?

It'd be a nightmare to put all this hard work and not match...Your advice would be great... Thank you..

Members don't see this ad.

Haven’t matched yet either, but from what I read you’re fine. Programs want people enthused about FM so show it’s not a backup. I’ve contacted close to about 50 programs and they all said as long as you passed. Some even said second attempt

Reactions: 1 users
I failed comlex and still matched. Had a lot of acgme interviews and matched at my 2nd choice.
I would apply broadly and wouldn't stress.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I failed anatomy, failed Comlex 1, was put on academic probation and still matched into my number 1 spot at an ACGME program (without connections) and am doing just fine. You have nothing to worry about score-wise.

Depends on your auditions man. Programs want people who are their top choices. You may have an easier time at smaller community programs though. Most people who fail a board end up matching at the smaller community programs in less desirable places .

Got my Level 1 score....it's very low at around 430~450, first try...Never took USMLE
DO applicant..

Can I still match? In the context of ACGME merger and everything...do I still stand a chance? I don't particularly care about location or AOA vs ACGME

It'd be a nightmare to put all this hard work and not match...Your advice would be great... Thank you..

You are perfectly fine for FM; not sure why would you want take a year off to study for step1?

Source: Classmates who apply FM this year with low step1 and have gotten >7 invites, which translate to a great chance to match based on last charting the outcomes...

DO applicant..

If you don’t care where you match you just need to pass level 2 and not go to jail. It probably sounds like I’m joking but I’m not

Do not, do not, do not take a year off for step 1 if you just want to match somewhere in FM

Reactions: 1 users
I had score similar to yours. Didn't take USMLE. Got around 30 interviews in the NY-NJ-CT area both AOA and ACGME. Matched at my #1 choice.

You only need passing scores to match in FM. Also, get great LORs to add to your application and you will have no problem matching to your top 3 choices.

Also, there were about 300 open FM spots in the AOA scramble on 2/5/18. You will do just fine.

I had score similar to yours. Didn't take USMLE. Got around 30 interviews in the NY-NJ-CT area both AOA and ACGME. Matched at my #1 choice.

You only need passing scores to match in FM. Also, get great LORs to add to your application and you will have no problem matching to your top 3 choices.

Also, there were about 300 open FM spots in the AOA scramble on 2/5/18. You will do just fine.
holy smokes. how many did you apply to?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but does FM need research? I'm having trouble finding a summer research position right now.