I got my USMLE Step 1 scores back!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fanconi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
And, actually, I'm very happy with them. That's weird for me. Usually I freak out about this kind of stuff, but I'm feeling good.

How are some of you other newly M3s feeling about your scores? Do you feel you got the score you deserved? What would you have done differently?

The same goes for those of you who've suffered through the MCAT. Did things go your way? What would you have done differently in your studying?

I just want to give a little ray of light to some premed folks out there: I did okay on my MCAT, not super. Statistically, I did way better on my boards. Go figure!!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Heh. I did better, statistically, on my MCAT than on boards, and better than my ACT than my MCAT. I don't think the trend will continue, though... or at least I hope not!!!

I wanted 4 more points, to be honest. But I'm way happy with what I got -- I was afraid of not passing, though my big souped up goal was to beat the mean comfortably. Looking back at how I study and my 1st two years (I chose to have a life and maintain my sense of joy rather than gun for the grades), this may not have been a realistic goal. Surgery is sorta killing me now, which has little bearing on the boards, except that it's easier to swallow without having them hanging over me anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Doctor_Joyce_Brutha:
•What you really need, to do well on those tests is two balls!•

wow djb, are you saying these tests are gender biased?

gender bias on step one???? wth?? how....what are they asking about scores from past superbowls or details about power tools??? do you have to recite the punch lines to some dirty jokes or stop in the middle of a test and bench press your body weight
how can you possibly make a test like that gender biased....i can see (though I find it rather problematic) the argument that standardized tests are culturally biased...but gender biased?? if a test could be made gender biased when administered to men and women of the same culture, wouldnt that in essence be antithetical to everything feminists stand for

i am assuming that I read this wrong

Now that I think about it, I *was* a little confused during my Step 1 exam when I was asked a question about the steps you have to take to replace the fan belt of a car... ;)

Originally posted by MikeS 78:
•gender bias on step one???? wth?? how....what are they asking about scores from past superbowls or details about power tools??? do you have to recite the punch lines to some dirty jokes or stop in the middle of a test and bench press your body weight
how can you possibly make a test like that gender biased....i can see (though I find it rather problematic) the argument that standardized tests are culturally biased...but gender biased?? if a test could be made gender biased when administered to men and women of the same culture, wouldnt that in essence be antithetical to everything feminists stand for

i am assuming that I read this wrong•

Uhh...OK. You know he's joking, right?

Anyways, I did much better on Step 1 than I was expecting to (I was expecting to just barely pass) so I'm quite happy with my performance. Considering my first two years of med school (not attending school at all for the last 3/4's of MS2, studying for about two hours each day for three weeks for Step 1), I'm lucky to have made it this far.

Statistically speaking, I was a lot smarter when I wrote the ACT and MCAT.

I thought the 2 balls was funny, not to be sexist or anything. The guy merely meant grit I believe....hopefully. Anyway, congrats to everyone here.

And, actually, I'm very happy with them. That's weird for me. Usually I freak out about this kind of stuff, but I'm feeling good.

How are some of you other newly M3s feeling about your scores? Do you feel you got the score you deserved? What would you have done differently?

The same goes for those of you who've suffered through the MCAT. Did things go your way? What would you have done differently in your studying?

I just want to give a little ray of light to some premed folks out there: I did okay on my MCAT, not super. Statistically, I did way better on my boards. Go figure!!! :eek:
Congrats bro! can you tell us how you studied? was boards and beyond or sketchy helpful?

Congrats bro! can you tell us how you studied? was boards and beyond or sketchy helpful?
She is a sis, not bro. She studied using paper books and pencils. The post she posted was typed on Win95 and used a dial up internet connection. Coolest thing ever were Goljans audio tapes on CD players and passing score was 182, while national average was 215. Good old days when people could fail step 1, then pass it on second or third attempt with 207 and still match to cardiology. Then get bored with cardio and switch to plastic.

Reactions: 1 users
She is a sis, not bro. She studied using paper books and pencils. The post she posted was typed on Win95 and used a dial up internet connection. Coolest thing ever were Goljans audio tapes on CD players and passing score was 182, while national average was 215. Good old days when people could fail step 1, then pass it on second or third attempt with 207 and still match to cardiology. Then get bored with cardio and switch to plastic.
My apologies to the sis, I feel like she was on that Win98 game, being a gunner and all lol. Cardio with a 207....I can't. I don't know what anyone can do with a 207 these days...

Reactions: 1 user