I graduated, what are my chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oae123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I graduated from the University of Scranton with a 3.35 GPA in Exercise Science. In my first 2 and a half years, I consistently maintained a 3.1 GPA and in my last 3 semesters I received no lower than a 3.6 GPA with a 4.0 in my final semester. I took Gen Bio, Gen Chem, and Gen Physics and received B's and C's... I know these are not ideal by any means. I have some clinical volunteer experience abroad, some financial experience in a nonprofit, and am now enrolled in an MPH program at NYU. I want to know what steps I have to take to get into medical school or a DO program. I know my science GPA needs to be stronger, and I have yet to complete the pre reqs or take the MCAT. I am motivated to do what it takes to get in but do not know where to begin. If anyone can offer some insight it would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

P.S. I am hispanic and middle eastern and my sister is currently enrolled in an MD program..not sure if that helps my chances at all!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you nontrad? I think you may be in the wrong subforum.

As for the steps you have to take, you can find them in the pinned posts on the pre osteopathic and pre allopathic forums. You may want to consider a post-bacc program. AAMC has a listing of various schools offering those on their website. We also have a subforum devoted specifically to those and SMPs. Good luck.

GPAs are good for a DO school; lethal for MD schools, except maybe TCMC Now you need to excel on the MCAT. Then come back and we'll advise you of your chances.
Forget the MPH; that's not going to help for an MD school. You need to take al the pre-reqs.

Get this book.

Amazon product

I want to know what steps I have to take to get into medical school or a DO program. I know my science GPA needs to be stronger, and I have yet to complete the pre reqs or take the MCAT. I am motivated to do what it takes to get in but do not know where to begin. If anyone can offer some insight it would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!