Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2002
from the ministry of information
Status
Attending Physician
So I'm doing this community MH gig, and patients there are on all the new stuff I guess because of samples. I'm not super up on the new stuff because all my training has been in pharma free environments. I just continued a prescription for Fetzima for the first time in my life and was doing some random looking because, hey, Fetzima, what's that? Anyway, came across this forum post about trying to market Fetzima -- glad I'm not a pharm rep.

http://cafepharma.com/boards/threads/fetzima-sucks-me-too-maybe-maybe-not-you-decide.553110/

Reactions: shan564

OldPsychDoc

Senior Curmudgeon
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Left of Center
Status
Attending Physician
On my very worst days, I still get to go home and remind myself "At least I'm not a drug rep."

birchswing

Non-medical provider
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2011
They actually ask that (to prescribe it to your next X patient)? Because I swear I've suspected things like that before, which is not exactly a huge leap when there are drug reps going into the office right before you.

BTW, did an SEC check on my psychiatrist. She has several LLCs in my state and I found records of each taking money from pharmaceutical companies for speaking/influencing gigs. She's shrewd. Having an LLC means she would pay capital gains tax instead of personal income tax. She also has two practices in two different cities and I live a minute away from one and an hour away from the other. I have to see her at the one I'm an hour away from because she told me if she makes any more money at the one practice she'll have to pay some other tax (I couldn't follow the logic of it, seemed convoluted and she didn't explain in detail).

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Memphis TN
Status
Attending Physician
Having an LLC means she would pay capital gains tax instead of personal income tax..
usually an owner of an LLC has to pay at their personal income tax rate, although there are a few exceptions (which may be true in the case you describe)

milesed

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
"Doc : No. And never try to do that again, that's extremely tacky. You aren't doing door to door sales. This is a professional, relationship sale. Treat me like a person who is a professional."

Loved this.

I feel bad for almost all reps coming in these days as it usually goes like the link. If your company is not really inventing something new or a remarkable improvement on something old, you're out of luck as a rep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Bagel

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
With only a couple exceptions, the only time I ever found myself prescribing Fetzima, (or Viibryd, etc) was when the patient had a wonderful susceptibility to nocebo effects of everything else. The newer meds didn't fare any better.

Reactions: Doctor Bagel

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
I also love the comment slamming the OP for being a bad salesperson.

birchswing

Non-medical provider
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2011
I'm curious how some of these conversations actually go down. For example, do drug reps ask for table space for their brochures? It seems like it would be so awkward to ask to remove a competitor's brochure to put out your own. There must be some order to it as I see them rotate. Are the doctors the ones who decide what gets to be advertised in the waiting room or does it get taken care of by office staff?

nitemagi

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I've started using a little viibryd, but mainly after many other failed trials of other drugs, doing genetic testing and finding out their CYPs don't make them good candidates for meds broken down by 2C19 or 2D6. Viibryd is only 3A4.

milesed

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
It's funny if the same reps stay with a company for years, but the branded products keep changing. The poor Forest rep who came in with Celexa, then Lexapro, now pushes Viibryd and Fetzima. Each are touted as the latest, greatest med until it's generic, then it's poison. I always remind them of this.

It's sales and I get that. I just like to give them a hard time.

Reactions: Shikima

Fermata

Hold me.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Vale of Humility Between Two Mountains of Conceit
Status
Attending Physician
Honestly, it's nice to have another tool in the armamentarium. That being said, I've only ever continued prescriptions for Fetzima as I'm a fan of what's cheap. The ones that I have continued seem to have either come from prior private settings or tend to have a strong axis II flair.