I had an MD interview and I now know

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

America1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can work in Australia after school, its not hard, everybody who wanted an internship got one. That is what I was told at my interview. You get a student visa for the four years and then the school gets you a work visa when you graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

You can work in Australia after school, its not hard, everybody who wanted an internship got one. That is what I was told at my interview. You get a student visa for the four years and then the school gets you a work visa when you graduate.

Wait till the overcrowding starts when you graduate with 3 new med schools in NSW and however many new ones in QLD....

You need a PR before you can get onto a training scheme.

I trust the australian docs Ive talked to more than some dork like you

Members don't see this ad :)
I trust the australian docs Ive talked to more than some dork like you

You sound like you've already made up your mind to come to Australia. I don't see why you need us to answer your questions if you're mature enough to find the correct information yourself.

I see that all the help I gave you here is incorrect as well:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=318120

You're very welcome.

why didnt you say you were an american at Usyd, I thought you were some negative little **** that likes to chime in on stuff he doesnt know about. Heres my situations
April 2005 MCAT: 31Q
BCPM: 3.04
Overall: 3.30
Science: 3.15

I applied last cycle and got 3 interviews, 1 "top third" waitlist which obviously turned into a rejection cause class started and I wasnt there.
The place where I was waitlisted was one of those dream interviews where both doctors tell me they are going to give me high ratings and that they want to see me here (it was closed file).
Obviously my gpa is the set back, I've been told this by two places I interviewed.
Heres my question:
Next summer is the last summer my MCAT will be valid, thus I need to make this year my year to get better grades. Post-bacs are expensive and wont give me the time needed to keep my MCAT (I dont want to take it again).
To all the people out there who have been successful in this process what the hell can I do to make it happen, Thanks a lot for any feedback.
Basically I can hang for another year and retake the two Cs I got in undergrad as well as take biochem and one other upper level, and try one last time before my MCAT times out,

Oh and I really like Australia but I need a the most job options after I graduate so Im really trying to hedge my bets between staying here and going there, driedcarabou tell me about Usyd and your plans and just the general **** you cant read in the brochures.

You will have better chance of getting in and getting a job after Australia if you clean up your language a bit. Honestly I haven't seen any person who's outright absolutely rude like you on this forum.

why didnt you say you were an american at Usyd, I thought you were some negative little **** that likes to chime in on stuff he doesnt know about. Heres my situations
April 2005 MCAT: 31Q
BCPM: 3.04
Overall: 3.30
Science: 3.15

I applied last cycle and got 3 interviews, 1 "top third" waitlist which obviously turned into a rejection cause class started and I wasnt there.
The place where I was waitlisted was one of those dream interviews where both doctors tell me they are going to give me high ratings and that they want to see me here (it was closed file).
Obviously my gpa is the set back, I've been told this by two places I interviewed.
Heres my question:
Next summer is the last summer my MCAT will be valid, thus I need to make this year my year to get better grades. Post-bacs are expensive and wont give me the time needed to keep my MCAT (I dont want to take it again).
To all the people out there who have been successful in this process what the hell can I do to make it happen, Thanks a lot for any feedback.
Basically I can hang for another year and retake the two Cs I got in undergrad as well as take biochem and one other upper level, and try one last time before my MCAT times out,

I appologize if I offended you, this is a very informal venue.

I appologize if I offended you, this is a very informal venue.

Apology accepted. Although this is an informal forum, please be considerate. After all, you're going to be a doctor and general public expects reasonably good behaviour from doctors no matter how informal the context may be.

is this true? i wonder why they'd tell you this when schools are popping up left and right. it was probably true for past years but the future will be much less predictable. uni of western sydney and notre dame sydney are both opening med schools. then theres the queensland schools and 2 new ones coming to victoria in 2008 as well.

sydney doesnt even grant an MD, yet your post says you had an MD interview.

im wanting to stay afterwards, but am thinking the best bet would be Flinders Uni since SA hasnt gotten any new med schools. they are increasing student places, but most are at Adelaide Uni which is a 6 yr school leaver program and ill graduate before them.

mbbs same thing

USyd has an MD program and it is certianly not the same as its MBBS program. it is a research postgraduate degree awarded after the primary medical qualification (MBBS) and significant clinical experience.

while an MBBS may be deemed as equivalent to a US MD degree, MD does not refer to the same thing all over the globe, which is why I point out the ambiguity of you original post.

America1,
A few things you might want to know:
1) Listen to Driedcaribou...he knows what he is talking about
2) While it might be true that you will get an intern spot following graduation, there is no guarantee this will be anywhere near Sydney or any other major city. And with all the new grads coming from NSW your chances will be even less.
3) Many internationals will secure internship (ie first year after grad) but I don't know of one international student who was able to land a second year spot at a major Sydney hospital.....which is key for advanced training programs.
4) You need to get permanent residency to get onto training schemes...which contrary to what the Faculty will tell you, is very hard to get.
5) Stop being such a tool. The attitude you seem to have is only going to hurt you.....especially when those you are insulting are the ones with the best and most accurate information.

America1,
A few things you might want to know:
1) Listen to Driedcaribou...he knows what he is talking about
2) While it might be true that you will get an intern spot following graduation, there is no guarantee this will be anywhere near Sydney or any other major city. And with all the new grads coming from NSW your chances will be even less.
3) Many internationals will secure internship (ie first year after grad) but I don't know of one international student who was able to land a second year spot at a major Sydney hospital.....which is key for advanced training programs.
4) You need to get permanent residency to get onto training schemes...which contrary to what the Faculty will tell you, is very hard to get.
5) Stop being such a tool. The attitude you seem to have is only going to hurt you.....especially when those you are insulting are the ones with the best and most accurate information.

:laugh: LOL. I agree. For some reason, America1's post rubs me the wrong way. I can't really put my finger on it.