I hate differential diagnoses.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old_Mil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean, why on earth would you list "postnasal drip" on the DDx for a 50 year old coughing patient with THREE PILLOW ORTHOPNEA and EXERTIONAL DYSPNEA?

On the Step 2CS/PE exam, you aren't supposed to list more than 5 DDx items. What if you only want to list one or two because you KNOW?

:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

then that's fine....you only have to list the number on the DDx you think is reasonable....I passed first try and only listed 2 on many of the cases

You can list as many or few ddx as you like. I didn't always use all 5. Most cases were a bit vague to allow for more differentials.

I mean, why on earth would you list "postnasal drip" on the DDx for a 50 year old coughing patient with THREE PILLOW ORTHOPNEA and EXERTIONAL DYSPNEA?

On the Step 2CS/PE exam, you aren't supposed to list more than 5 DDx items. What if you only want to list one or two because you KNOW?

:smuggrin:

I'll add my vote as well. On some cases, I, too, had less than five (it worried me, only insofar as we don't know how the examiners think). Some I had more than five. I, too, passed it the first time. Just play the game and you'll be fine.