I HATE HATE HATE gunners like this....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by drlexygoat
Woah there! Geeze, talk about jumping to some conclusions. That was kind of rude of you, don't you think?

I never said lots of folks scored A's on the exam. In fact, out of a class of 250 there were exactly 8 As (1 100%, 1 97%, 6 94%, 2 91%). The test was wicked hard and I'm sure they're going to get worse as the semester goes on. You know how the 1st test is always the easiest for most people considering the material is pretty superficial still. I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that no one has ever gotten a 100 in any of your science classes. Maybe they're just not studying hard enough....

Secondly, I'm majoring in Molecular & Microbiology w/ a minor in Chem. There is VERY little grade inflation at my university, I 'll have you know. There's often only 5 or 6 people who will walk out of a class of 250 with As on their transcripts. So please don't assume that I've got it easy. I work my tail off and just get upset when folks give nasty gunner responses like today....

Lastly, no need to say : "Med schools don't really have a way of adjusting GPAs for grade inflation...so I guess the OP has nothing to worry about in terms of admissions". What the hell? Dude, my GPA got me in on my own merit. The school I'll attend in May knows full-well what kinds of students my university turns out. I worked hard for that acceptance, and grade inflation had nothing to do with the equation.

All in all, back off please. Your comments were unwarranted.

thx

My reply wasn't meant to be hostile or offensive at all. As a result, there is no need to say, "All in all, back off please." I was just pointing out that if anyone (even just 1 student) scores a 100% on an exam, the exam was probably a tad too easy. I've been in quite a few science courses and yes...there has never been a single person out of ALL the science courses I've taken at Berkeley who scored 100% on any given exam. Seeing as Berkeley is more selective for undergraduate admission than UCF and the Berkeley freshman class also has a much higher SAT average than the UCF freshman class (I can post links to prove it if you'd like), a response like, "Well maybe your school is just full of dumb, unmotivated students who don't work hard" is definitely false. I've never seen anyone get a 100% on a given exam simply because the exams here are just hard. Former national merit scholars that attend this school routinely get raped in O-chem exams, physics exams, molecular bio exams, etc.

The real culprit we're after here is grade inflation...which is completely relative and you can only use the term "grade inflation" in a comparitive sense. University of Central Florida is grade inflated compared to Berkeley...but I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that Berkeley is grade inflated compared to MIT, Caltech, or Cornell. So please don't get huffy and puffy at me...I'm just looking at the data provided below in the form of links and then synthesizing that data with the info you gave me in your post to come up with a reasonable explanation as to why a few folks at your school get 100% scores on exams. I'm not attributing your med school admission to grade inflation...I'm sure you worked very hard for your grades and you should be very proud of them.

Best of luck to you in med school come fall and congratulations on your med school admission! Feel free to refute the points in this post or ignore this post altogether (and the evidence that supports it).

Evidence:
Average SAT score for incoming freshman to UCF: http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/profiles/generalinfo.asp?listing=1022881&LTID=1 (1176)

Average SAT score for incoming freshman to UC Berkeley:
http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/profiles/generalinfo.asp?listing=1023370&LTID=1

Members don't see this ad.

BerkleyPreMed,

Thanks for your humane and calm reply. It's nice to see some discussion here without namecalling and below-the-belt-hits.

Example: From sluox: " I HATE HATE HATE people like you...incompetent, jealous, moody, lazy, boring, stupid, ugly, (probably fat), good-for-nothing. "

I won't even dignify immature comments like that with a public response.

Yeah people like that and the ones that go online to tell how good their grades are. I just am always impressed,,,,,,yeah lmb

I only said it to put the situation into context. I don't need an SDN pick-me up. I have no problem with people scoring higher than me - they worked harder and deserved it. However, when folks literally SHOVE their paper inches from your face to make a big deal out if it, I think it's crossing the line a little bit. No need to rant and rave to someone standing right next to you.

I guess the situation only complicated matters because this is a habit with this kid. Like I said before, he's def. trying to show off in front of the whole class. Don't get me wrong, I am ALL FOR advanced discussion in lecture and bringing in outside material, but many times this guy takes it too far.

His behaviors outside of class leave something to be desired, too. He'll check books out of the library and keep them the whole semester (which, I guess is his right). The papers that we write often have answers in one place within the library. It's the fact that he keeps it all to himself that bothers me, with a motive to keep others from succeeding. I mean, the book has one vital paragraph that takes minutes to look at and return. *sigh*

I've also heard him refuse to offer people any help at all, even if it would only take 10 seconds to answer. He'll just walk away. I know there are people out there who just aren't completely about helping their fellow classmates. However, it just seems like the courteous thing to do.

Anyway, enough ranting and explaining. We're all going to have different opinions on this, and that's okay. I guess there are people on this board who could justify all his actions, but maybe if you met him you'd have a different opinion.

Oh well.....