I hate my neuro professor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we have this large 15 page report due and I take a draft to him to get his input and my god, I've never had such a hostile professor before.

The first thing he does is he says, "Right off the start, this paper's no good. You didn't cite anything." Well, that's why it's a draft..

Then, "What are you doing here? This is just worthless information. Then I respectively tell him that I was following his guidelines, and summarizing up experimental procedures so I can refer back to them later on instead of having to rewrite it out for each. He just nods and goes, "Oh, okay."

Then he basically says, "It just seems as if you lifted these from the paper." And I'm thinking, are you accusing me of plagarism? And I asked, "Are you suggesting that I copied material?" To which he doesn't reply or say anything.

His final conclusion was, "I don't see much analysis going on. Just a bunch of reviews."

Then I ask him a question regarding a few questions and discrepancies and he gets mad and accuses me of trying to trick him.

So, a bit steamed, I go take my paper to other professors and the PhD students and they read it and say, "I think this is great. There's a lot of analysis here and you NEED to review before you can do an analysis."

To be fair, he just skimmed the paper and just by quick overlook all you'll see are me reviewing the data before I delve into my analysis. But still, he wouldn't even let me explain or give input into what he was reading.

And I fear for the test too. He's INCREDIBLY anal about the grading. I mean, you'd think some things are just so obvious that interval would increase when frequency decreases over time. But nooo. Or a rather complex graph becomes a little smidgen at the end and results in zero credits. Sigh.

I've never gotten less than a B in a neuro course before no matter how hard it was, but now I feel as if I'm going to get a C or worse no matter how hard I try.

Anyone else have a professor like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey TTSD,
I had a similar experience with a neuro professor. He was anal and unapproachable and thought the draft for my final paper sucked but at the end he gave me a great grade...apparently he hated my paper less than the other ppl in our class...

i'm sure you'll get a great grade on the paper because it sounds like you've done a lot of work...

all my best,
BonBon

I feel your pain, brother (or sister). I have a lab professor who is the pickiest grader I have ever seen in my life. The class is only out of 100 points, each individual lab is worth 3 points (10 total), along with a 30 point midterm and a 40 point final that I just took. On the labs, if you get even the SLIGHTEST number off (whether due to rounding or whatever), you automatically get a point off. That's a 2/3. Do it again for another and it's a 1/3. BOOM- You're already down to a 98% for the class for ONE punk-ass lab. The best part about all of this? THE COURSE IS NOT CURVED. Last year, out of a class of 80, a total of THREE people got an A or even an A-. I'll probably end up with a B- and very possibly a C+. I'm pissed off beyond words. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by BonBon Doux
Hey TTSD,
I had a similar experience with a neuro professor. He was anal and unapproachable and thought the draft for my final paper sucked but at the end he gave me a great grade...apparently he hated my paper less than the other ppl in our class...

i'm sure you'll get a great grade on the paper because it sounds like you've done a lot of work...

all my best,
BonBon

Not unless all he does is skim it.

mattvike- where do you go to school, what class is this, and which teacher? Because if you go to CWRU I will be very upset.

try to get on his soft/good side. go to his office hours and try talking to him about the field, your life, his life, etc. try to make him feel bad. see if that works.

Bailey's-

I don't go to CWRU, and why would you be upset with me for being pissed off about an unfair teacher? I'm a senior now, and I have never seen anything like this.