I hate Neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rodmichael82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's just massive amounts of material crammed into 3 and half weeks but it is sort of interesting lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Neuroscience almost gave me cancer :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah man. I am in the same boat. It's interesting but I am so tired of it.

I love neuroscience. I want more!

It's a pain. The gunners in my class all seem to love it though...hmm.

Dr. Najeeb's videos can explain all of neuroscience. You just have to have like 20 hours of free time to make it through the videos.

It's just massive amounts of material crammed into 3 and half weeks but it is sort of interesting lol.

Yeah, terrible class but fascinating subject.

Try Neuroanatomy through clinical cases. One of the best medical school textbooks (alongside Robbins). Both are long but great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used high yield coupled with my very good professor. Tough course but did feel like I really accomplished something when I was done. Sadly I have forgotten 95% of it (but I suppose this is true for a lot of years 1 and 2)

Survivor DO

I used high yield coupled with my very good professor. Tough course but did feel like I really accomplished something when I was done. Sadly I have forgotten 95% of it (but I suppose this is true for a lot of years 1 and 2)

Survivor DO

I finished our neuro block barely 7 months ago and I feel like I forgot 95% of it. ;)

Dr. Najeeb's videos can explain all of neuroscience. You just have to have like 20 hours of free time to make it through the videos.

Heh, I have a hard enough time keeping up with reading BRS alongside any of my classes. He is a great resource to have, though. That is, if you have the time!

Yeah, terrible class but fascinating subject.

Try Neuroanatomy through clinical cases. One of the best medical school textbooks (alongside Robbins). Both are long but great.

Great book! Highly recommend it as well.

High yield is good (not great) - I have it. It's a review book. If someone asked if Robbins was a good textbook then someone said, "what about Pathoma?" - how do you answer that? Textbook vs review book don't compare. Obviously, reviews are great for reviewing faster - the text is to learn something you don't know.

At my school we call it "neurocation". I'm sure gonna miss it next week when I have to go back to studying again. They even schedule neuroscience here during some major city festivals!

At my school we call it "neurocation". I'm sure gonna miss it next week when I have to go back to studying again. They even schedule neuroscience here during some major city festivals!

What the hell do you guys do during neuro?!?! Must not have been the same stuff we did, haha.

Wha... wha... what???? I'm so jelly. Ours is "neurohell."

I had 8 or 9 weeks of neuroanatomy. It was fun but I did feel incredibly rushed. IMO it should be a semester so you can actually go into some more detail. I can't imagine only 3.5 weeks... now that's neurohell.

Honestly med school was pretty easy till this point. Now with Neuro it's been verbal diarrhea and I hate my life. We had 20 lecture hours of Neuro last week and when I emailed the instructor to ask for help because I'm overwhelmed all she said was yeah sorry usually in grad school we cover this in a month not a week. I can suck it up whatever all I want to know is that how is 2nd year compared to this neuro crap?

Honestly med school was pretty easy till this point. Now with Neuro it's been verbal diarrhea and I hate my life. We had 20 lecture hours of Neuro last week and when I emailed the instructor to ask for help because I'm overwhelmed all she said was yeah sorry usually in grad school we cover this in a month not a week. I can suck it up whatever all I want to know is that how is 2nd year compared to this neuro crap?

Twice as fast but also twice as interesting.

What the hell do you guys do during neuro?!?! Must not have been the same stuff we did, haha.

French Quarter Festival. Crawfest. JazzFest (Billy Joel, Dave Matthews, Fleetwood Mac, etc). Host second-look students for a long weekend of debauchery. Our neuro professor also plays jazz trumpet and invites us to gigs around town. It's been an awesome ride.

Definitely not looking forward to immuno and studying again next week.

I am definitely in your class and I think neuro is way easier than the last block of phys/histo/immuno/FCM insanity. It is actually like being in anatomy again where there is just one class to deal with and you can kind of chill a little bit. More power to you if that was easy.

Last edited:
I also liked Blumenfeld's book. The cases included at the end of each chapter are great.

The biggest problem, for me at least, is that everything is just tossed at you without any real context or understanding. You are just expected to know 10 different circuits and it's all very frustrating because the names don't have any relation to what they do in the ciruit or where they are. It's memorizing a damn phonebook all over again. Even in gross anatomy, the name gives you a clue to where the structure belongs or what it does. And then identifying structures is the worst in neuroanatomy because everything looks the goddamn same, the resources suck for learning the material and the smallest detail ****s everything up.

I am definitely in your class and I think neuro is way easier than the last block of phys/histo/immuno/FCM insanity. It is actually like being in anatomy again where there is just one class to deal with and you can kind of chill a little bit. More power to you if that was easy.

No where close to anatomy as the last poster stated none of the names make any sense. I enjoyed Anatomy because it was intuitive. I can't say the same about Neuro. I'm not saying Neuro is impossible, it's just random junk stuff thrown at me. I guess I got used to Physio and Immuno which make a lot more sense.

Ugh don't even get me started on immunology. I do not like that subject one bit. Different strokes for different folks. Neuro comes naturally to me. Immuno does not.

It really depends on how it's taught. Fortunately our faculty tried to stay out of the weeds as much as possible, which resulted in what was ultimately a very logical and enjoyable presentation of the material. By using their discretion and focusing on the high points, I think we actually learned more than we would have if we had spent all of our time on the minutiae.

I'm sorry for those who have had the opposite experience. I can easily how that would be possible.

Reactions: 1 user
It really depends on how it's taught. Fortunately our faculty tried to stay out of the weeds as much as possible, which resulted in what was ultimately a very logical and enjoyable presentation of the material. By using their discretion and focusing on the high points, I think we actually learned more than we would have if we had spent all of our time on the minutiae.

I'm sorry for those who have had the opposite experience. I can easily how that would be possible.

This is great. Ours was crammed into 6 weeks together with all of Head & Neck. Of course there were stupid/irrelevant minutiae thrown in. Sometimes less is more.

Screw neuroscience/anatomy. I hated that class with a passion more than small group sessions and ethics classes.

Mainly b/c I sucked at it. It's OK though, it confirmed that I have no desire to do neurology or neurosurgery.

Can't believe nobody said "you don't like neuroscience? You'll be a horrible doctor!"
index.php

This is great. Ours was crammed into 6 weeks together with all of Head & Neck. Of course there were stupid/irrelevant minutiae thrown in. Sometimes less is more.

Definitely true in neuroscience. Everything connects with everything, and if you try to learn it in that way, without first understanding the basics (and most salient points for those not destined to practice neurology), then you're bound to forget most of it and end up not learning very much at all.

I had 8 or 9 weeks of neuroanatomy. It was fun but I did feel incredibly rushed. IMO it should be a semester so you can actually go into some more detail. I can't imagine only 3.5 weeks... now that's neurohell.

Agreed. Our neuro block was broken up into two parts. Part one (4 weeks) was the neuroanatomy block and included all of head and neck as well. Part two was 5 weeks and was mainly clinical neurology and psychiatry.

Neuro was tough, but I enjoyed it. Mainly because I ignored class and used "Neuroanatomy through clinical cases" by Blumenfeld. Possibly the best book I've ever read in my life and the only textbook I've read so far in med school. To say it's excellent is an understatement.

just had a lecture on the cerebellum

how the **** does that thing even work???????????????

Your attitude is shared by many! Its complexity partly explains why essential tremor is so difficult to treat in some patients. We still don't know enough about the pathophysiology.

Neuro was tough, but I enjoyed it. Mainly because I ignored class and used "Neuroanatomy through clinical cases" by Blumenfeld. Possibly the best book I've ever read in my life and the only textbook I've read so far in med school. To say it's excellent is an understatement.

How did it work out for you? I'm debating what to use for our neuro class, and am nervous just using the textbook and nothing else. It seems pretty dense but good from the couple chapters I've managed to go through. Any tips?

It's actually a pretty well designed system that takes input from organs that determine balance and limb orientation in space, expected location/feedback, and has positive and negative reinforcement to reinforce good circuits or inhibit aberrant circuits. I won't go in to extensive details, but the more you read about/understand the input/output and cell types the easier it is to understand.

It's actually a pretty well designed system that takes input from organs that determine balance and limb orientation in space, expected location/feedback, and has positive and negative reinforcement to reinforce good circuits or inhibit aberrant circuits. I won't go in to extensive details, but the more you read about/understand the input/output and cell types the easier it is to understand.

nonono, I get that, I'm talking about how the calculus inside the cell works. The actual circuitry isn't that overwhelming, it's translating that circuitry to movement and refinement that boggles my mind. The cell is computing hundreds (or thousands) of inputs and translating that into a series of action potentials that feeds back into your movement and does this in milliseconds.

How did it work out for you? I'm debating what to use for our neuro class, and am nervous just using the textbook and nothing else. It seems pretty dense but good from the couple chapters I've managed to go through. Any tips?

Really well.

I'd just look up whatever topic was being in covered in class that day and read the corresponding chapter in Blumenfeld's. It's a solid, solid book. Especially loved the clinical cases you get to work through at the end -- those really solidified the material well (except for the brainstem cases, which were ridiculously tough!).

It's the only textbook I've read almost to its entirety. If it works for you, keep using it. If not, switch to something else. Hope that helps.