I Hate Pre-Med and My Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UselessSemiMoron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the previous thread I posted was in the wrong place. The mods can delete that one. Sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused.

This is just me ranting and being a useless bitch. I have no real friends, so I guess this is the alternative. I am a junior in college (Pre-Med, Human Physiology BS degree), and I hate it. I have absolutely no passion whatsoever for the medical field. I am doing Pre-Med only because my parents (who are paying for my tuition) insist that I become a doctor, and nothing else. I currently have a 3.36 university GPA and about a 3.45 overall GPA (I took some classes outside of my university). My science GPA is terrible, something like 2.8 or so. I have never gotten a good grade in any science course besides General Chemistry (A+ in my freshman year) and Physics I (A, but I took it at a community college over the summer). I got a C+ in Principles of Chemistry II, and a C in Biology II. All other science courses have been Bs. This semester, I will likely get a C or C- in Organic Chemistry I, and possibly in Biochemistry as well. Next semester, I am taking Organic Chemistry II, Biostatistics, Physics II, and Physiology of Nutrition. I have not taken the MCAT yet.

My real interests and passions have always been in history, geography, and anthropology, along with some other social sciences like political science. The only reason I even have a 3.36 GPA (which will likely decrease further; today is the last day of the Fall 2014 semester and grades haven't been finalized yet) is because I get straight As in the history and social science courses that I take as electives. I really love these subjects and I usually spend the winter and summer breaks reading dozens of books on them. They are my main source of entertainment, and the main reason why I haven't killed myself yet; I don't hang out with anyone (I don't have any friends) and I don't play video games or watch TV. The only times I have ever been happy in my life are when I am all alone in a library, reading whatever catches my fancy. I wish I could spend the rest of my life just reading and studying whatever I want. However, society does not respect the subjects I enjoy (social sciences), and it seems that employment opportunities are dismal for people who pursue them. History in particular seems to be getting a bad reputation at modern universities. It is seen as an extremely easy subject that dumb people who don't want to work hard in college pursue, similar to Business. I told my parents in my freshman year of college that I wanted to major in History, but they were horrified when I told them, so I kept on the Pre-Med path.

I can't see myself getting into medical school, and even if I do get in, I am pretty sure I would hate it every moment of it. I'm pretty sure I would even hate being a doctor, if I somehow finished medical school and passed the licensing exams. I don't care about "helping" people, and this has never been a motivation for my studies. I am severely misanthropic and dislike human beings in general, though I am friendly on the outside to my roommates and other people I know. I don't really have any useful skills, besides being a good writer. I have gotten an A+ on every college paper I have written, but I don't know what I can do with writing skills in the real world. It seems that writers in general are miserable and struggle financially. Last semester, for an elective history course, I wrote a paper on the political development of 17th century Benin (a state in West Africa) that my professor thought was excellent (I got an A+ on this paper). I am planning on submitting this paper for peer review so it can be published in an undergraduate history journal. It is one of the few things in this world that I am proud of.

I think it is too late for me to change my major, considering I am already a junior. Although I am a Human Physiology major, I have actually not taken any human physiology courses besides the introductory one, and Human Anatomy (I got Bs in both). All the science courses I have taken so far are for pre-med requirements. Since I don't want to go to medical school, I was wondering what I can do with a Human Physiology (Bachelor of Science) degree after graduation? I talked to my academic adviser, and she recommended that I do some research work/post-baccalaureate program. I don't know what the employment opportunities for people with my degree are like, so I would appreciate it if someone could tell me more about it.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the previous thread I posted was in the wrong place. The mods can delete that one. Sorry for any inconvenience that this has caused.

This is just me ranting and being a useless bitch. I have no real friends, so I guess this is the alternative. I am a junior in college (Pre-Med, Human Physiology BS degree), and I hate it. I have absolutely no passion whatsoever for the medical field. I am doing Pre-Med only because my parents (who are paying for my tuition) insist that I become a doctor, and nothing else. I currently have a 3.36 university GPA and about a 3.45 overall GPA (I took some classes outside of my university). My science GPA is terrible, something like 2.8 or so. I have never gotten a good grade in any science course besides General Chemistry (A+ in my freshman year) and Physics I (A, but I took it at a community college over the summer). I got a C+ in Principles of Chemistry II, and a C in Biology II. All other science courses have been Bs. This semester, I will likely get a C or C- in Organic Chemistry I, and possibly in Biochemistry as well. Next semester, I am taking Organic Chemistry II, Biostatistics, Physics II, and Physiology of Nutrition. I have not taken the MCAT yet.

My real interests and passions have always been in history, geography, and anthropology, along with some other social sciences like political science. The only reason I even have a 3.36 GPA (which will likely decrease further; today is the last day of the Fall 2014 semester and grades haven't been finalized yet) is because I get straight As in the history and social science courses that I take as electives. I really love these subjects and I usually spend the winter and summer breaks reading dozens of books on them. They are my main source of entertainment, and the main reason why I haven't killed myself yet; I don't hang out with anyone (I don't have any friends) and I don't play video games or watch TV. The only times I have ever been happy in my life are when I am all alone in a library, reading whatever catches my fancy. I wish I could spend the rest of my life just reading and studying whatever I want. However, society does not respect the subjects I enjoy (social sciences), and it seems that employment opportunities are dismal for people who pursue them. History in particular seems to be getting a bad reputation at modern universities. It is seen as an extremely easy subject that dumb people who don't want to work hard in college pursue, similar to Business. I told my parents in my freshman year of college that I wanted to major in History, but they were horrified when I told them, so I kept on the Pre-Med path.

I can't see myself getting into medical school, and even if I do get in, I am pretty sure I would hate it every moment of it. I'm pretty sure I would even hate being a doctor, if I somehow finished medical school and passed the licensing exams. I don't care about "helping" people, and this has never been a motivation for my studies. I am severely misanthropic and dislike human beings in general, though I am friendly on the outside to my roommates and other people I know. I don't really have any useful skills, besides being a good writer. I have gotten an A+ on every college paper I have written, but I don't know what I can do with writing skills in the real world. It seems that writers in general are miserable and struggle financially. Last semester, for an elective history course, I wrote a paper on the political development of 17th century Benin (a state in West Africa) that my professor thought was excellent (I got an A+ on this paper). I am planning on submitting this paper for peer review so it can be published in an undergraduate history journal. It is one of the few things in this world that I am proud of.

I think it is too late for me to change my major, considering I am already a junior. Although I am a Human Physiology major, I have actually not taken any human physiology courses besides the introductory one, and Human Anatomy (I got Bs in both). All the science courses I have taken so far are for pre-med requirements. Since I don't want to go to medical school, I was wondering what I can do with a Human Physiology (Bachelor of Science) degree after graduation? I talked to my academic adviser, and she recommended that I do some research work/post-baccalaureate program. I don't know what the employment opportunities for people with my degree are like, so I would appreciate it if someone could tell me more about it.

Thanks.

Tell your parents to suck it and study what you want. Take out loans if you have too. Your GPA will get killed with Orgo and other upper level classes if you don't have the drive to succeed. Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: 2 users
I am sorry that you feel that way. Your only answer to this solution is:
1) Talk to your folkes and just be completely honest with them. Maybe they will listen and will chill out on controlling your future.

If then do not listen then go to option 2

2) Stop relying on your parents. No one can or should force you to become a doctor. Even if you manage to get in, you will fail out later because you dont have enough passion about it to get through the rigors of the program. So here is what you do. Stop relying on them to pay your college bills. Take out loans like everybody else does, or work while you go to school. Problem solved. Go to financial aid and discuss an alternative way of payment - other than your parents.

It is never too late to change your major, you are a grown adult, you can do whatever the heck you want. I had a friend who was a history major and changed over to bio in his senior year. It took him a 5th year in college but he ended up graduating with both degrees and is now in a PhD program out west. Heck you can be 45 and on your 10th major if you want to, who cares so long as the classes are paid for.

Just make the changes that you want to see. When is the age where you will stop listening to your parents? 22? 23? 30? Eventually you will have to make your own decisions on this stuff, even if it doesnt make others happy. Tough love here, but no one is stopping you but you. What is stopping you is fear of the unknown - "how will I pay for school? what if they shut me out?" As someone semi shut out from his parents, I can tell you right now, the grass is actually greener on the other side. The day you start making your own way is the day you become a man (or woman).

PM me if you want to talk more or get into actual logistics of how it is done.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry that you feel that way. Your only answer to this solution is:
1) Talk to your folkes and just be completely honest with them. Maybe they will listen and will chill out on controlling your future.

If then do not listen then go to option 2

2) Stop relying on your parents. No one can or should force you to become a doctor. Even if you manage to get in, you will fail out later because you dont have enough passion about it to get through the rigors of the program. So here is what you do. Stop relying on them to pay your college bills. Take out loans like everybody else does, or work while you go to school. Problem solved. Go to financial aid and discuss an alternative way of payment - other than your parents.

It is never too late to change your major, you are a grown adult, you can do whatever the heck you want. I had a friend who was a history major and changed over to bio in his senior year. It took him a 5th year in college but he ended up graduating with both degrees and is now in a PhD program out west. Heck you can be 45 and on your 10th major if you want to, who cares so long as the classes are paid for.

Just make the changes that you want to see. When is the age where you will stop listening to your parents? 22? 23? 30? Eventually you will have to make your own decisions on this stuff, even if it doesnt make others happy. Tough love here, but no one is stopping you but you. What is stopping you is fear of the unknown - "how will I pay for school? what if they shut me out?" As someone semi shut out from his parents, I can tell you right now, the grass is actually greener on the other side. The day you start making your own way is the day you become a man (or woman).

PM me if you want to talk more or get into actual logistics of how it is done.

Agreed

Time to grow a spine and tell your parents exactly what you'rewritten here. If they don't want to pay for tuition, then go to work, save some money, go to CCs and then work towards what you love. Otherwise you'll end up continuing to play "suicide by cop" with your grades and hating things even more. You deserve better.

It's also not too late to chance your major; it will just take longer to get where you want to go.

I am a junior in college (Pre-Med, Human Physiology BS degree), and I hate it. I have absolutely no passion whatsoever for the medical field. I am doing Pre-Med only because my parents (who are paying for my tuition) insist that I become a doctor, and nothing else.

Agree with everything said above.

If you truly don't want to change your major, have you looked into biological anthropology? There's lots of interesting work that goes on there, and it could be a nice mix between what your true passions are and your current area of study.

if you hate your science classes that much, medicine might not be for you, seeing how its..... mostly sciences.

if you hate your science classes that much, medicine might not be for you, seeing how its..... mostly sciences.
A distaste for the sciences is really not a deal breaker for medicine, a distaste for humans, however...
OP's internal battle has already produced a thoughtful self assessment. Now all that is needed is to operationalize what has been learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 15 users
Agreed with everything said above. It probably seems scary to go against your parents' wishes, but ultimately this is your life and you have to live with it. And although I don't know your parents, it's possible that deep deep down they want you to be happy; they just (erroneously) think that the way you'll be happy is with an MD, and with the MD's salary and social status. Clearly, this isn't the case.

I would definitely say stop taking the classes you don't want to be taking. Getting poor grades in any subject will hurt you when it comes time to apply to grad programs (although it's not as lethal for Ph.D. programs as med school, so don't freak out). It sounds like you're a rock star in history and have the passion for it, so get into more history classes. It may take you an extra semester to complete your major, but that's actually a tiny blip in the scheme of things.

A lot of students in undergrad have the problem of not knowing at all what they like. You do! You've found a passion, which means believe it or not you're a lot farther ahead than many other students at this point.

And as far as your observation that history isn't a prestigious major, I think it gets that reputation simply because it's kind of a default major (as is something like psychology) for students who don't really know what they want to do with life. But there's a qualitative difference between the students who major in history as a default major and those who are actually interested in it. I think you'll find that in grad school you'll only get the latter. Bottom line is, don't worry about the prestige of a major you love; it will all work out.

And I second the call to get to a financial aid office and explain the situation and they should be able to work with you. Not sure what kind of school you're in but a lot of the elite private schools will provide 100% needed aid so it may be as simple as declaring yourself an independent. If you can't get the money you need, look into transferring to your state school. The road may be long and bumpy, but it will be much more satisfying when you can be who you really are rather than trying to conform to your parents standards. Good luck!

I think the real issue is a little more fundamental than this forum. You need to live your life for yourself if you want to be happy. Contemplate your future, but keep your mind in the present moment. You are the one with the final say, and if you know deep down that you do not want to be a doctor, why would you allow yourself to continue down that path? Surround yourself with those who support you for who you are, regardless of your affiliation. Maybe this is a wake up call for your parents to let them know they can't dictate the life of another human being.

One day you may realize you do in fact want to be a doctor. Even if you knew you wanted to be one now, there would still be many uncertainties in terms of your acceptance to school and you wouldn't know the answers until a later point. Focus on doing the best you can in your classes NOW, and understand the material for what it is. Anything can be interesting if you shift your perspective. Don't think during every Orgo lecture "I don't want to go to medical school" when you have no idea if you would even be accepted. Think "compounds are awesome! Carbon is the fundament of all life!" Get through undergrad, complete the project you started, even though you did it for your parents. You're in it now. Figure the rest out as it comes. Be honest with everyone, including yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the real issue is a little more fundamental than this forum. You need to live your life for yourself if you want to be happy. Contemplate your future, but keep your mind in the present moment. You are the one with the final say, and if you know deep down that you do not want to be a doctor, why would you allow yourself to continue down that path? Surround yourself with those who support you for who you are, regardless of your affiliation. Maybe this is a wake up call for your parents to let them know they can't dictate the life of another human being.

One day you may realize you do in fact want to be a doctor. Even if you knew you wanted to be one now, there would still be many uncertainties in terms of your acceptance to school and you wouldn't know the answers until a later point. Focus on doing the best you can in your classes NOW, and understand the material for what it is. Anything can be interesting if you shift your perspective. Don't think during every Orgo lecture "I don't want to go to medical school" when you have no idea if you would even be accepted. Think "compounds are awesome! Carbon is the fundament of all life!" Get through undergrad, complete the project you started, even though you did it for your parents. You're in it now. Figure the rest out as it comes. Be honest with everyone, including yourself.
Both paragraphs literally contradict each other.

Reactions: 5 users
Do your parents even know you? Who would try to push a science-hating misanthrope into medicine? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. If you need help navigating the process of separating from your folks physically or financially, feel free to pm me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly, your parents aren't going to get their wish. Your grades are NOT what they'd need to be to get into medical school and your hardest science classes are yet to come. Plus, of course, there's all the ECs and MCAT you'd need to be a competitive medical school applicant. Though there are a few applicants who make it with grades in the low 3's, those are the ones with a palpable passion for medicine and years of activities to demonstrate that passion.

So if you can accept that simple fact that no matter what you do now (without a 100% turnaround in desire), you're not going to be able to get into to medical school right after college, that might make it easier to break it to your parents that they simply cannot get what they want. Sorry - They just can't.

But what IS possible is this... Then lay out your hopes, dreams and plans. They only want the best for you, of course, but have a misguided idea of what that is. Forcing you to continue on a doomed-to-failure path toward a career you'd hate is not something any parent wants to do. Spell that out to them, along with a plan that will lead to a respectable career with some financial stability. OK, not as prestigious or lucrative as MD, but since when is a college professor or teacher a job to sneer at?

At this point, a change of major is definitely in order, because if you DON'T get into medical school (which at this point, you won't), your current majors are next to worthless. What can you do with a human physiology degree?...

If that means taking a semester off to get your act together, DO IT. Or just take the classes that will move you toward the major YOU want, even if you don't 'officially' change your major yet and end up not being able to get a BS in Physiology on time. (That's not what you want anyway...)

Reactions: 6 users
I'm guessing you're probably 20-21? Your parents seem scary and all powerful when you're that young. You'll realize as you get older that your parents aren't that scary. Like Goro said, "Grow a spine." You know you'll be miserable on your current course, just do what you want to do. Do it even if that means you'll have to take out loans and work to support yourself. You'll come out a better person for it.

Well, I must say I am surprised that my thread already got so many replies. This seems like a pretty active forum.

First of all, I should probably clarify my relationship with my parents. They are not "scary" at all, nor do I feel like they are all-powerful or all-controlling. In fact, they mostly leave me alone. I am quite physically independent as I share a university-owned apartment with four other students. I don't physically live with my parents, but I am not financially independent. I have no independent source of income as of yet, and my parents pay for my tuition and housing.

My main fear is not that my parents will hate me or disown me if I tell them that I will not go to medical school (which I do plan on telling them once I go home for winter break). My main fear is that I will greatly disappoint them, as they have invested a great deal of financial and emotional capital in the hope that I become a doctor. Last year, they opened a new business where they work 14+ hours a day just so that they can pay for my college expenses. I feel like I am letting them down my not being able to go to medical school or become a doctor, but I know that I would hate my life even more if either of those things actually happened. During the first two years of college, I thought I could simply put my own feelings aside and do medicine even though I had minimal interest in it, but now it is clear to me that this will not work. I have already made up my mind that I will NOT be going to medical school, even if the best medical schools in the world somehow open their doors to me. That lifestyle and field is simply not for me.

The question I am now facing is : where do I go from here? I want to get a decent-paying job after I graduate, or at least soon afterwards. However, as DokterMom said, my current major (Human Physiology, BS) is pretty useless for this. On the other hand, a degree in History is even ****tier as far as job prospects are concerned. I do eventually plan on getting a PhD in History, but I want to get a stable, decent-paying job first, so I can afford the degree without having a burdensome debt that I can't pay off. If I have to, I can wait until my 30s, 40s, or even 50s before I pursue my desired doctorate in History. Even if I change my major to History and pursue graduate-level studies, I can't really do **** with it. What I want for the time being is relative financial stability. What are good majors to pursue for someone with my interests, with decent-paying jobs in mind? This seems like a question a high-school senior should be asking, not a junior in college, but I have literally never considered this before. I have always worked under the assumption that I would study medicine and become a doctor, but that's off the table now.

I know this isn't a career advice forum, but if someone could suggest some possible avenues, I would be grateful. In particular, I would like opinions on the following majors, and the career opportunities that they lead to:

1) Anthropology. My university offers two specializations that catch my eye: anthropology for the health professions (B.S.), and Medical Anthropology (B.A. or B.S.).

2) Geography (B.A., B.S.): health and society track.

3) Economics

If none of these majors lead to good career opportunities, what is a good major to pursue? I am not totally opposed to the idea of doing something like Accounting or Finance, if they will lead to good jobs soon after graduation.

If you don't like pre-medicine and are already having a really difficult time in the easier courses you will undeniably not make it through Med. school if you get in.

On the other hand, a degree in History is even ****tier as far as job prospects are concerned. I do eventually plan on getting a PhD in History, but I want to get a stable, decent-paying job first, so I can afford the degree without having a burdensome debt that I can't pay off. If I have to, I can wait until my 30s, 40s, or even 50s before I pursue my desired doctorate in History. Even if I change my major to History and pursue graduate-level studies, I can't really do **** with it. What I want for the time being is relative financial stability. What are good majors to pursue for someone with my interests, with decent-paying jobs in mind? This seems like a question a high-school senior should be asking, not a junior in college, but I have literally never considered this before. I have always worked under the assumption that I would study medicine and become a doctor, but that's off the table now.

I know this isn't a career advice forum, but if someone could suggest some possible avenues, I would be grateful. In particular, I would like opinions on the following majors, and the career opportunities that they lead to:

1) Anthropology. My university offers two specializations that catch my eye: anthropology for the health professions (B.S.), and Medical Anthropology (B.A. or B.S.).

2) Geography (B.A., B.S.): health and society track.

3) Economics

If none of these majors lead to good career opportunities, what is a good major to pursue? I am not totally opposed to the idea of doing something like Accounting or Finance, if they will lead to good jobs soon after graduation.
a-FYI PhD programs are usually free, through stipends or PT work (research or teaching). You don't need to "afford" it.

b-Do you want to get a job that requires a PhD in history? Or is it just for personal interest? If you wait until your 50s, you'll have a hard time using your degree in a job.

c-There are literally limitless options for majors/careers. I suggest talking to a guidance counselour at your school face to face, or doing your own research online.

d-Are you interested in health/care besides medicine?

Don't go to medical school. Please. I am in med school right now, and I can tell you this - if you cannot handle LOTS of medicine/science/coursework and have no passion/interest in it whatsoever, then get out ASAP.

The beauty of America is that you can major whatever interests you, likely find a reasonably satisfying job, and have the means to support yourself and have a great life. Sure, you may not be making an attending physician salary but that comes with an incredibly tough road and long as hell training. This is something that is not possible in many places.

Take charge of your own life. When you're the one making the decisions on which career to pursue, the negatives don't quite seem as bad. Look into other careers and decide if you would perhaps be happier in another profession. You can always revisit the option of going to medical school later, if you wish, as long as you keep a decent GPA.

It's also not too late to change your major. Granted, you may not want to change track to something totally different. A great deal of your core classes will still count towards the new major, so it may only set you back by a year. Although, unless you're going to Harvard or someplace similar, studying a subject like West African history would likely lead to very few job opportunities for you.

Last edited:
There is always teaching. A professorship at a University is one thing, but if studying and sharing your passion with others is what you want to do, teaching is always an excellent option. The pay is not tremendous but it is reasonable and there are certainly perks to the job. Ambitious types can always move up the ladder into private schools, top-tier public schools. A faculty position at a University is a whole different ordeal I know nothing about so I won't get into it. Something to consider if you want to study the social sciences but don't know where to go to work. Economics is probably the most practical social science degree that *might* be instantly employable directly out of college, though this probably depends on networking, resume building and other such activities. However, everything is easier when you actually enjoy what you are doing.

I think @Awesome Sauceome 's advice is great and you should take up his offer for personal advice.

lol. If you network properly you can major in any of those three and still get a job out of college that pays upwards of 50-60k. At my school I see Bio majors go into healthcare consulting and make like 70-80k and I know people who majored in liberal arts and were making six figures before 30.

Employers are going to weigh your experiences and applicable skills more than whether your undergrad degree says you majored in anthro or urban studies or whatever.

Personally I'd pick the nonscience major you want and then finish your prereqs after graduation if you decide to try the medical route again.

I have an anthropology instructor who studies in the field when he can; he is extremely intelligent. Although he never spoke about medicine directly, he influenced my thinking on the type of patients I would like to treat, philosophy, etc.
I one up @Lucca 's sentiments above. I hate to break it to you, but you might have to settle with a less than lucrative salary. Not everyone can pursue a passion that brings in 6 figures plus. Moreover, if your parents were trying to produce a cash cow, they should have pushed you to a lucrative field in the first place.. Anyways, you need to figure out what you are going to do soon. You need to start thinking outside of the box bud. You are digging a deeper and deeper hole.
Anyways, I would like to summon @DermViser

Thanks.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I'm sorry you're studying something you don't like. But, I'd like to ask you a question...because I've been in your shoes. Do you enjoy the social sciences more because of the subjects or because of the ease in which they come to you?

At graduation, I had the option of pursuing Medicine, or going to become a School teacher. I told myself that I always excelled in all my education courses, and being in a school administrator role, easier, and the salary was constant is what I wanted. And though, at my internship, I enjoyed the kids, it was only then that I came to realize the magnitude of my naïveté.

My parents pushed for Medical School too. And at a certain point, I resented medicine because I resented my folks. But after that was removed, after I stood up to my folks and told them I had to forge my own path, was when, ironically, I realized I wanted to be a Doctor. I wanted to help people. I wanted to make a difference. I didn't want to be confined by a career of mediocrity, where nothing was constant. You say your parents are financing you. As a teacher, I have about $80 left to myself each month after paying my housing, food, amenities, bill + student loans. Financial constraints can really be a debbie downer. And MOST OF ALL, in education, Iwasn't intellectually challenged. I hated that everything came so easy to me, that nothing was difficult, life was boring. I like my job, but I could never do this forever. Never. I started auditing science courses just to get a taste of challenge.

I don't know man, best of luck to you, but understand that the decisions you make now, the work ethic you put towards in your 20s will save you a lot of hardship later in your life.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I'm sorry you're studying something you don't like. But, I'd like to ask you a question...because I've been in your shoes. Do you enjoy the social sciences more because of the subjects or because of the ease in which they come to you?

At graduation, I had the option of pursuing Medicine, or going to become a School teacher. I told myself that I always excelled in all my education courses, and being in a school administrator role, easier, and the salary was constant is what I wanted. And though, at my internship, I enjoyed the kids, it was only then that I came to realize the magnitude of my naïveté.

My parents pushed for Medical School too. And at a certain point, I resented medicine because I resented my folks. But after that was removed, after I stood up to my folks and told them I had to forge my own path, was when, ironically, I realized I wanted to be a Doctor. I wanted to help people. I wanted to make a difference. I didn't want to be confined by a career of mediocrity, where nothing was constant. You say your parents are financing you. As a teacher, I have about $80 left to myself each month after paying my housing, food, amenities, bill + student loans. Financial constraints can really be a debbie downer. And MOST OF ALL, in education, Iwasn't intellectually challenged. I hated that everything came so easy to me, that nothing was difficult, life was boring. I like my job, but I could never do this forever. Never. I started auditing science courses just to get a taste of challenge.

I don't know man, best of luck to you, but understand that the decisions you make now, the work ethic you put towards in your 20s will save you a lot of hardship later in your life.

Wow. You consider teaching a career of mediocrity? You think being a professor is easy? That shaping the intellectual development of the next generation of doctors is boring and not challenging? I can assure you that being an inspiring, worthwhile and competent teacher is one of the hardest things there is to do. That is why so many people either fail miserably at it, or just do it on the side.

Reactions: 8 users
Wow. You consider teaching a career of mediocrity? You think being a professor is easy? That shaping the intellectual development of the next generation of doctors is boring and not challenging?

Nah man I never said that. First, there's a huge difference between being a schoolteacher and being a professor. A professor's gig is much easier than dealing with the bureaucracy of being a teacher.

I'd bet that being a schoolteacher is one of the more fruitful positions that comes from a BS/BA in the social sciences. But it's stifling. Your creativity is constantly stymied. This is what government jobs are like. Dealing with 10th grade material (in my situation) and regurgitating that year in year out is hard to do, it's just boring.

The kids are amazing. Being able to incorporate dialectics in my lesson plans is great, but in the end of the day, I teach to a test. My lesson plans are scrutinized to fit boring state standards. You're forced to be mediocre. Creativity is not rewarded.

But that's not the point OP, what I'm trying to say to you is that your "dream career" can often be a lot less attractive when you're in it. Often times that "dream" is just a product of doing well in certain classes. You should reevaluate teh type of lifestyle you want.

Wow. You consider teaching a career of mediocrity? You think being a professor is easy? That shaping the intellectual development of the next generation of doctors is boring and not challenging? I can assure you, my friend, being an inspiring, worthwhile and competent teacher is one of the hardest things there is to do.
As the daughter of an education administrator who oversees several high schools and principals, I wholeheartedly agree. There's always a need for good teachers, just as much as good doctors.

Nah man I never said that. First, there's a huge difference between being a schoolteacher and being a professor. A professor's gig is much easier than dealing with the bureaucracy of being a teacher.

I'd bet that being a schoolteacher is one of the more fruitful positions that comes from a BS/BA in the social sciences. But it's stifling. Your creativity is constantly stymied. This is what government jobs are like. Dealing with 10th grade material (in my situation) and regurgitating that year in year out is hard to do, it's just boring.

The kids are amazing. Being able to incorporate dialectics in my lesson plans is great, but in the end of the day, I teach to a test. My lesson plans are scrutinized to fit boring state standards. You're forced to be mediocre. Creativity is not rewarded.

But that's not the point OP, what I'm trying to say to you is that your "dream career" can often be a lot less attractive when you're in it. Often times that "dream" is just a product of doing well in certain classes. You should reevaluate teh type of lifestyle you want.

Are you ****ing serious :laugh: you think there is less bureaucracy in professional faculty than lower Ed? Come on man. As someone who is in said position, trust me, it is a million times worse. It ****ing gang wars here.

The content may be stifling, but making it interesting and available to students is the challenge. That is what makes it hard. That is what makes it challenging. You just call it mediocre and boring because you weren't in an authority position to change it or work with it, let alone inspire people, being a premed

As the daughter of an education administrator who oversees several high schools and principals, I wholeheartedly agree. There's always a need for good teachers, just as much as good doctors.

Yeah, I never said there wasn't. All I'm saying is that it's a career that isn't intellectually stimulating. You're literally paid to push students along.

If we converted our Education system to the Nordic model, SURE, I'd stay a teacher forever. At least I'd be given reign over my classroom and enough room to create my own curriculum.

Until one has been in the shoes of a teacher, or another career marred by government interference to the point where you're just a marionette, you will not understand.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you ******* serious :laugh: you think there is less bureaucracy in professional faculty than lower Ed? Come on man. As someone who is in said position, trust me, it is a million times worse.

The content may be stifling, but making it interesting and available to students is the challenge. That is what makes it hard. You just call it mediocre and boring because you weren't in an authority position to change it or work with it, let alone inspire people, being a pre med kid.

I'm not a "premed kid" I'm a licensed teacher.

There is a huge difference between teaching Medical School science and doing Penny Water Labs for kids 3 periods a day. And I highly doubt it's a million times worse. Someone decided what I was going to teach tomorrow 12 years ago. And also for every other science teacher in my County...soo...

We can't have intellectually stimulating conversations with our students past what's on this horrid end of the year exam. I teach in the south and about 30% of my class still opts out when I teach Evolution.

Anyways, I don't care to respond to anymore comments on the education system. Unless you've taught public school, I mean, I just don't understand why you'd think you're able to know what the experience is like. We should stick to the OP's concerns. I was just trying to share my experiences.

a-FYI PhD programs are usually free, through stipends or PT work (research or teaching). You don't need to "afford" it.

b-Do you want to get a job that requires a PhD in history? Or is it just for personal interest? If you wait until your 50s, you'll have a hard time using your degree in a job.

c-There are literally limitless options for majors/careers. I suggest talking to a guidance counselour at your school face to face, or doing your own research online.

d-Are you interested in health/care besides medicine?

a/b: The history PhD would be for personal interest. I do plan on writing some books/articles when I am older, but I don't expect to make much money from them. I don't plan on devoting my career to History.

c: Yes, I have just scheduled an appointment with my academic adviser for January 16 to discuss changing my major, and finding a new career path. I'm pretty much lost right now.

d: No, not really.

lol. If you network properly you can major in any of those three and still get a job out of college that pays upwards of 50-60k. At my school I see Bio majors go into healthcare consulting and make like 70-80k and I know people who majored in liberal arts and were making six figures before 30.

Employers are going to weigh your experiences and applicable skills more than whether your undergrad degree says you majored in anthro or urban studies or whatever.

Personally I'd pick the nonscience major you want and then finish your prereqs after graduation if you decide to try the medical route again.

Well, I don't really have any experiences besides a couple years of volunteering at my university hospital, which I suppose is pretty useless. I don't have any prior job experiences besides a brief summer stint of pollinating corn. How does one "network properly"?

I have an anthropology instructor who studies in the field when he can; he is extremely intelligent. Although he never spoke about medicine directly, he influenced my thinking on the type of patients I would like to treat, philosophy, etc.
I one up @Lucca 's sentiments above. I hate to break it to you, but you might have to settle with a less than lucrative salary. Not everyone can pursue a passion that brings in 6 figures plus. Moreover, if your parents were trying to produce a cash cow, they should have pushed you to a lucrative field in the first place.. Anyways, you need to figure out what you are going to do soon. You need to start thinking outside of the box bud. You are digging a deeper and deeper hole.
Anyways, I would like to summon @DermViser

I don't expect to be making six figures. I would be content making 50-70k if I enjoy the work I am doing. I definitely would not enjoy medical school or being a doctor.

I think I enjoy these subjects because of the subjects themselves, not just because of the ease with which they come to me. Like I said, I read many books on these subjects in my spare time (they are my primary source of entertainment), and I usually go above and beyond what is expected on the syllabus for these classes. I always get A's or A+'s in these subjects.

Right now, I want to know how I can convert my interest in certain subjects into a decent career, or if it is even possible. I am not expecting to earn a huge, six-figure salary. I am not expecting to live a luxurious life.

The thing with History is that it is extremely abysmal for getting jobs, as far as I can tell. One good thing about History undergraduates is that they (generally) tend to have better writing skills than the average college graduate, but that's not worth much, and I personally don't need a History degree to show that. I already have excellent writing skills according to my professors, and I plan on publishing some papers to prove it (again, I doubt it would count for much, but it may be useful to have on a resume).

Right now, I am seriously considering a change of major to Geography, Anthropology, or Econ. I will come back and pursue my studies in History later in life. The Human Physiology BS degree I am currently pursuing seems like a waste of my time and will not lead to anything I enjoy.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like you'll have to worry about getting into medical school. With your attitude and grades the MCAT will not be your high point, if you even take it.
Figure out what you want to do and get busy doing it. Your parents are either going to support you or not.
It's your life, start living it.
PS Pick a major that will lead to an actual career. We are hiring a new Administrative Assistant (secretary) and want 5 year of experience and a bachelors degree. A bachelors degree to answer my phone, copy research articles for me, and manage some front office paperwork. Wow.

The replies to Gavin's post pretty much sum up what's wrong with SDN. A knowledgable former teacher shares his experiences with the profession. Other people, who have never taught in a public school, then argue with him about it. Ridiculous. Know your realm of expertise, people.

In terms of anthropology, if you want to go through the academic route, I strongly suggest talking with some of the professors in the department, particularly those who are tenured, have a great standing in the college, and have mentored previous students. For the job market for professors in anthropology is not as wide and open as it used to be; competitiveness is high, and spots for graduate programs are also competitive. If you want to switch to anthropology, make sure you dedicate yourself to not only your classes, but possibly doing activities and research in areas of anthropology you deem you want to pursue further. If it's dealing with a culture or an area where you don't know the language and/or anything else about it, start learning the language and culture. It'll look better on your resume and filling out applications, showing that you actually have a serious interest in going further into the anthropological field.

However, outside of academia, anthropology can be used in various different ways. If you sincerely abhor the physical sciences, I would try to find organizations and companies that use anthropologists/those who are studying it to further their research on how to build products (i.e. IDEO), address public health policy, and other areas that aren't heavily connected to the physical sciences. Yet if you can overcome any distaste for them, or find a way to combine say anthropology with computer science or other not so well-known intersections fields, it'll open a lot more opportunities as well.

Good luck!

I would strongly, strongly suggest speaking with your history professors, not just career counselors. There are more career options in history than you might imagine, plus they may have a word or two of advice about your life plan.

Such as: You don't get a PhD in history "just for fun," particularly if you want a comfortable life. I'd just note here that getting money for a PhD in science is completely different than getting money for a PhD in history. In science you get a salary and it trickles in year-round. In history, your application to the program and application for money are two separate beasts, and one does not guarantee the other. Additionally, the amount of money you get is usually quite a bit less than in science, and as it's usually based on teaching, only comes during semesters. This requires dedication to the field even for the 23-year-old student, but I'm not sure it's something you want to be doing when you're 40 and maybe have a family, particularly if you want a somewhat comfortable life.

You could take it a little slower by doing it part-time, but then you wouldn't get money (although you still may be able to get tuition remission, depending on the program), so you'd have to have a full-time job to support yourself, and the PhD would take up ALL of your extra time for 10+ years (since you'd be doing it part-time).

I'm not sure if you were aware of this; don't just plan on getting a PhD for fun when you're older if it's something you really want to do with your life.

As an aside, have you considered teaching at a private school? You don't have to deal with all the administrative stuff of public schools, and they don't require teaching degrees. You have a lot more leeway to teach what you want to teach how you want to teach it. You obviously have a passion for history, and it would be so sad to throw that away for a less-than-satisfying career in something else. Sometimes compensation comes in personal fulfillment, not just $$.

Sources: parent is a history professor with a PhD and sibling is currently in a history PhD program. Friend who is currently in a history PhD program taught for several years at a private school before going for her PhD.

As an aside, have you considered teaching at a private school? You don't have to deal with all the administrative stuff of public schools, and they don't require teaching degrees. You have a lot more leeway to teach what you want to teach how you want to teach it. You obviously have a passion for history, and it would be so sad to throw that away for a less-than-satisfying career in something else. Sometimes compensation comes in personal fulfillment, not just $$.
+1

Med school is like taking 35 credits of bio a semester. If that sounds bad, you either don't want to be a doctor really badly or are completely sane.

Do what you love.

The replies to Gavin's post pretty much sum up what's wrong with SDN. A knowledgable former teacher shares his experiences with the profession. Other people, who have never taught in a public school, then argue with him about it. Ridiculous. Know your realm of expertise, people.
lol

@jamcat

Yes, I will speak to my history professors. I know several of them fairly well due to talking with them during office hours, and I have good grades in all history courses without exception (all A or A+; I have 15 credits' worth so far).

My "life plan" was to work for two decades or so in a full-time job, then quit whatever I am doing and pursue a full-time PhD in History. The remainder of my life can be spent researching, writing, and possibly teaching.

I am apprehensive about going for a PhD in History right now. It is certainly within my capabilities, and I'm sure I would enjoy it, but I don't think I would be a good teacher, and I don't think I want to rely on teaching for my income for the majority of my life (as I understand, a PhD in History can't do much beyond teaching history). I would like to have some other skills that I can use to make a living.

Gavin also raised an interesting point regarding "challenge". I am not sure if pursuing a life career in History would be challenging for me at all. Certainly, I have never felt truly challenged by any history course I have ever taken (even the ones that I was told were "hard" by others), though I have been intellectually stimulated by many, and enjoyed taking them. In comparison, I find a course like Biochemistry to be much more challenging, but also much less enjoyable and less stimulating. With a few exceptions like the chemical basis of ketogenic diets and fatty acid catabolism, which I found interesting and even personally useful (even though they were challenging), I didn't really care about the subject matter at all. I really couldn't give a **** about how plants fix CO2 into glucose via the Calvin Cycle. So, it seems to me that the trick is to find a balance between challenge on one hand, and personal interest and enjoyability on the other hand.

Both paragraphs literally contradict each other.
First paragraph = big picture, Second = how to get through right now. Ultimately she didn't realize she was doing this for her parents when she started school, now she's in a predicament. She still started the project. I'm sure she can get into a masters program if she wants to change her direction after she graduates, on her own terms, after she's spoken with her parents about how they're trying to control her life. She's already put 3 years of effort into this curriculum so she might as well try to finish as strongly as possible. It seems like she's freaking herself out about an uncertain future instead of focusing on what she's studying. Does that clarify the contradiction?

@jamcat

Yes, I will speak to my history professors. I know several of them fairly well due to talking with them during office hours, and I have good grades in all history courses without exception (all A or A+; I have 15 credits' worth so far).

My "life plan" was to work for two decades or so in a full-time job, then quit whatever I am doing and pursue a full-time PhD in History. The remainder of my life can be spent researching, writing, and possibly teaching.

I am apprehensive about going for a PhD in History right now. It is certainly within my capabilities, and I'm sure I would enjoy it, but I don't think I would be a good teacher, and I don't think I want to rely on teaching for my income for the majority of my life (as I understand, a PhD in History can't do much beyond teaching history). I would like to have some other skills that I can use to make a living.

Gavin also raised an interesting point regarding "challenge". I am not sure if pursuing a life career in History would be challenging for me at all. Certainly, I have never felt truly challenged by any history course I have ever taken (even the ones that I was told were "hard" by others), though I have been intellectually stimulated by many, and enjoyed taking them. In comparison, I find a course like Biochemistry to be much more challenging, but also much less enjoyable and less stimulating. With a few exceptions like the chemical basis of ketogenic diets and fatty acid catabolism, which I found interesting and even personally useful (even though they were challenging), I didn't really care about the subject matter at all. I really couldn't give a **** about how plants fix CO2 into glucose via the Calvin Cycle. So, it seems to me that the trick is to find a balance between challenge on one hand, and personal interest and enjoyability on the other hand.
Dude, don't write off a PhD too soon.
You could go into think tanks and analysis and cultural/social criticism.
Read all the links on this page: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+use+phd+history+career

My experience with humanities was similar. The only challenges were when my understanding increased (rather than an increase in knowledge), or when preconceptions were challenged by new ideas.
I considered a humanities PhD for a while, and intellectual challenge was never one of the attractions - I was more interested in mentoring, explaining, public intellectualism, challenging stereotypes and prejudices, presenting alternative points of view about life and events. The hardest aspect might be the writing, but that's a fun, creative process so it's a good challenge.

It doesn't sound like you'll have to worry about getting into medical school. With your attitude and grades the MCAT will not be your high point, if you even take it.
Figure out what you want to do and get busy doing it. Your parents are either going to support you or not.
It's your life, start living it.
PS Pick a major that will lead to an actual career. We are hiring a new Administrative Assistant (secretary) and want 5 year of experience and a bachelors degree. A bachelors degree to answer my phone, copy research articles for me, and manage some front office paperwork. Wow.

I don't blame you though. Can't imagine someone without a college degree doing that job these days

Well, I've come back home for the holidays and basically told my parents what I posted in the OP. As expected, there was lots of crying, screaming, and emotional drama. However, my parents were understanding in the end. I told them that I would rather die than go to medical school and become a doctor, and they realized that I wasn't joking. My only regret is that I hadn't told them this before, and waited until my junior year.

I've decided to change my major to Economics, and to pursue a Master's Degree in Health Administration after graduation. It was a sort of compromise, as my parents were happy that I would work in healthcare even if I wouldn't work as a physician, which I would hate (I'm far more interested in budget management and fiscal administration that actually providing healthcare to patients).

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. I think it actually helped.

Well, I've come back home for the holidays and basically told my parents what I posted in the OP. As expected, there was lots of crying, screaming, and emotional drama. However, my parents were understanding in the end. I told them that I would rather die than go to medical school and become a doctor, and they realized that I wasn't joking. My only regret is that I hadn't told them this before, and waited until my junior year.

I've decided to change my major to Economics, and to pursue a Master's Degree in Health Administration after graduation. It was a sort of compromise, as my parents were happy that I would work in healthcare even if I wouldn't work as a physician, which I would hate (I'm far more interested in budget management and fiscal administration that actually providing healthcare to patients).

Good luck!

this is awesome, goes to show you that if you can handle the occasional ignorant post, then SDN can actually be a very useful tool.

I'm really happy you were able to take control of your life. congrats on handling it like a mature adult, and I wish you the best with your new career choice.

I didn't think you had the balls OP. Now watch, you are going to do really well in your new pathway! Initiate Grey's Anatomy dance party lol.