1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

I Hate this place!!! NO i love this pLace !!! Aghhhh

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SicVic, Jun 21, 2001.

1. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Okay,
    I just found this board a couple a days ago. There is no hope to be found in these threads.
    It's helpful spot but not to linger around.
    It is depressing (not really) to see people getting 33 and more. I definitely know in my heart that I can get into the school i want which is Cornell:)P) but with a 7 10 11 and 3.59... I get a slightly negative aura around posts (which is not intentional).
    I think i will lessen my time on looking at threads but it instead do something more constructive to improve my MCATS. Such as reading a boring journalist talk about the economic advantages of Sieman taking over tellcomm bla bla.
    Well i think i got that off my chest.
    I think we need post and are realistic but should also be encouraging and note that entrance to medical school are not on the fulcrum of 36MCATS and 3.99gpa.
    More posts are needed from individuals in med. sch., the scores that they had, the schools they got accepted IN and what they felt made them competitive and what part of their application or of the process got them in the schools.
    DONE
    -other response are very very WELLCOmE
    GOODLUCk PeePs : KEeP your HeadUP, for this is just the BEginning :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    vic, I'm sorry if you found my response to you to be overly negative, or if you feel that responses to these types of questions are generally negative. You mention in your post that we need to be realistic, yet encouraging.

If people choose to post a synopsis of their applications on here to get feedback, I'm not going to sugarcoat my response -- I don't think I've ever flamed anyone, but if I see weak spots I'll mention it, because very likely they are the same weak spots that an AdComm will see. People can choose to disagree with my assessment, and that is fine. These people applying to med school are adults and should be making adult decisions for themselves, not necessarily basing their life course on comments on an anonymous message board.

You say that you are confident you can get into Cornell with your application as it currently is -- well then why did you even bother posting your stats and asking for feedback in the first place??

One thing I agreed with in your posts is that med school admissions are not entirely dependent on high GPA and MCAT's -- there are so many intangibles that come into play, which makes it difficult for anyone to accurately assess chances in applying to med school.

As for hearing about individual success stories -- people currently in med school or accepted -- it might make some people feel better about their applications, but it may not necessarily be realistic to pin hopes on. I've been accepted to 4 fairly competitive med schools this year, and I'm still waitlisted at one -- no matter what my GPA or MCAT's are, what extracurrics. I had or didn't have, that still doesn't mean that someone with the identical numbers and background would be accepted to those schools as well -- essays, letters of rec, and interviews may differ wildly between applicants and can very easily make or break an acceptance offer. Thus, I think in the long run, most prospective applicants are better off by thoroughly researching schools in the MSAR and other med school guides, getting a feel for the averages of each school as well as residency requirements, and applying accordingly. And like any good "Guide to Applying to Med School" will tell you, it's also wise to apply to a wide range of med schools -- a few "reach;" a few that are on par with your stats; and a few "safeties."

Okay, getting off my soapbox. :rolleyes:

4. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    well said, lilycat! :D (and congrats on your four acceptances)

5. ghettobird

ghettobird Member
    7+ Year Member

All I have to say is good luck at Cornell, Vic. My MCAT's were 34, and my GPA was significantly higher than yours, and I didn't get so much as an interview. That school is hella' popular and hard as **** to get into.

I guess stranger things have happened though...just don't get your hopes up like I did.

6. ghettobird

ghettobird Member
    7+ Year Member

Vik,

Two other things I feel compelled to give you a heads-up on regarding Cornell:

1. As I recall, the Cornell secondary asks you divulge almost no personal information (which you'll need in your case). It is simply a sheet which asks you to restate biographical info., list publications/honors, and there is a 1 inch space at the bottom to say why you want to go there.

2. Assuming you get an interview, they accept particulary few interviewees compared to other schools (~ 1/6 as opposed to other schools that go as high as 50% or more).

7. SicVic

SicVic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well who said getting into medical school was easy. Hell I am staying positive. Thanks for that reply LilyCat. I hope you get to be in a school that you will enjoy for the next four years.
    As for my cumGPA its pretty average all round. My grades went on are rise after my sophomore year from 3.4 to 3.8s each following semester. Lucky I have an increasing grade trend. I can take a class or two to round off my cumgpa into a 3.6 (As you might guess I just graduated)
    Another is I am taking time off, so i didnt apply for this year but I am tryin to be the first in line for my applications for 2002.
    Well we gotta do what we gotta do right!
    For now, everyone's gotta believe in getting IN; but we all built differently.
    By the way I was reading some articles on economist.com (under diversion) and they are pretty good.
    All you need is one window with the article and another window at dictionary.com hehehe
    Hey Anybody got more to SAY, SPiLL IT

8. Jeff05

Jeff05 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    "note that entrance to medical school are not on the fulcrum of 36MCATS and 3.99gpa."

i think the fulcrum is about 27mcat (9/9/9) and 3.5 GPA. the scores are, of course, inversely proportional to how strong the rest of the application must be.