I have 3.6 sGPA/ cGPA, 510 MCAT - school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DonkeyKong92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am having a trouble with deciding which schools to apply for. Open for any suggestions and advice, thank you!

Me: Florida resident, Asian male

MCAT: 123 CARS, 130 Bio, 130 chem, 127 psy/soc (I am a bit worried about CARS score)

GPA: both 3.6

- doing one year master's in medical sciences for my gap year, GPA 3.91

- 1 semester of research (300 hours)

- 100 hours shadowing (2 specialties)

- 400 hours veterans hospital volunteering & 60 hours pediatrics volunteering

- few leadership position

-medical trip to Honduras for 10 days

- tutoring/ teaching my language (didn't want to be specific)

- hobbies - playing guitar/ singing - have performed at several school events

I am planning on applying to most in-state MD schools and 2 DOs in FL.
Any suggestions/ recommendations for OOS MD and DO schools??

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers and extracurriculars look solid to apply anywhere. The only thing that looks worrisome is your cars score. So if you don't get many interviews it will probably be because of that. However, use MSAR (worth the money).. You will have a great idea of GPA and MCAT ranges.. But again your numbers are solid, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your numbers and extracurriculars look solid to apply anywhere. The only thing that looks worrisome is your cars score. So if you don't get many interviews it will probably be because of that. However, use MSAR (worth the money).. You will have a great idea of GPA and MCAT ranges.. But again your numbers are solid, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Thank you, does MSAR provide stats for each school's OOS and IS acceptance rates???

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it does, as a rule of thumb you should apply to private schools when going out of state and all your public schools in state. However, there are some exceptions where some public schools will accept a good number of out of state students. This requires a good amount of research on your side, MSAR will give you all the stats you need for like 30 bucks.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to ALL your Florida schools (including Miami) and add several OOS schools that you decide upon after going through the MSAR.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend the following:

Miami and all other FL schools.
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland B
Any DO program, starting with the two in FL. I can't recommend LUCOM or Touro-NY

Hello, I am having a trouble with deciding which schools to apply for. Open for any suggestions and advice, thank you!

Me: Florida resident, Asian male

MCAT: 123 CARS, 130 Bio, 130 chem, 127 psy/soc (I am a bit worried about CARS score)

GPA: both 3.6

- doing one year master's in medical sciences for my gap year, GPA 3.91

- 1 semester of research (300 hours)

- 100 hours shadowing (2 specialties)

- 400 hours veterans hospital volunteering & 60 hours pediatrics volunteering

- few leadership position

-medical trip to Honduras for 10 days

- tutoring/ teaching my language (didn't want to be specific)

- hobbies - playing guitar/ singing - have performed at several school events

I am planning on applying to most in-state MD schools and 2 DOs in FL.
Any suggestions/ recommendations for OOS MD and DO schools??

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you @Faha , @Goro , and @Xanias !!!
I really appreciate your time and effort for putting up ideas.
As this whole application process proceeds, I got to say that I get nervous and worried at times but I just got to have faith and move forward :).

I recommend the following:

Miami and all other FL schools.
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland B
Any DO program, starting with the two in FL. I can't recommend LUCOM or Touro-NY
Why not Touro-NY?

Go check out the thread in the Osteo forum, and their school-specific forum, on their very recent admissions fiasco.
I just read up on it and wow....I can't believe a school would screw over its students like that. Touro-NY was actually at the top of my list but now....I don't think I can risk it.