I have a Big Dilemma :( Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acidhouse303

street pharmacist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i was all set and ready to send in my deposit for BU and start looking for apts in Boston when I get this letter from MCO (medical college of ohio) saying they're giving me some presidential scholarship where they would cover all tuition and fees for all four years of medical school. a freakin free ride. so im really sad and confused now and dont know waht to do. im from nyc originally and have lived there forever (minus HS) but i am an ohio resident (long story) and my parents now live in ohio. going to mco would totally suck bc i think toledo is pretty boringwith nothing to do. (and id need to learn to drive again blah) im a pretty crazy liberal east coast city kid and i doubt i'd get along with any of the students at mco, being they are mostly in state. everyone i met during interviewing seemed real... midwest. i think boston is a great place and theres a lot of good research going on there and BU is a better school and i have a lot of friends there and its not too far from NYC. plus i want to practice on the east coast and i feel like residency matches are very regional. is that true? but everyone tells me i wont have time to do anything anyway so it doesnt matter where i go bc ill have no life (?) anyway i think id be really depressed if i went to school in ohio and if i did badly in school due to that then id lose the scholarship which would defeat the whole purpose (u have to maintain a high pass every semester). the free thing sounds great and ill be within driving distance of my fam (and my dad is sick etc) so im torn, guys. can you please help? i think id be happier in boston but its expensive- is that selfish of me? *siiigh* :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be at MCO starting this fall, and I can't wait to start. Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe it would be good for you to get out of the Northeast and see the "real world" that the vast majority of Americans live in. It'll open your eyes to a different way of thinking besides that "crazy liberal east coast city kid" way of thinking.

But whatever you do, don't think this scholarship puts you in a bad position. Most people would kill to have the choice that you do.

Go to BU. You obviously want to, and then you won't have the added pressure of needing to earn a high pass. This is a big life decision; I personally wouldn't want to live in Ohio for 4 years if I were a big city person (I am, and I love Boston). If you felt that you were able to financially handle BU before you knew about the scholarship, that means you can still financially handle it. Go to BU.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCO... ah yes, I remember that place. Middle of nowhere, defined. Not many opportunities for research there either. Or anything, for that matter. Still you get an MD...

Even though you are getting a full ride, consider:
1.) Opportunities availible
2.) Four years man... FOUR YEARS IN TOLEDO!!!
3.) How that will effect residency options (hey, it can)
4.) Anything I missed.

I think these > full ride.

Also, you can seriously work on your writing. You know, capitlaization, punctuation, seperate paragraphs. The good stuff.

acidhouse303 said:
so i was all set and ready to send in my deposit for BU and start looking for apts in Boston when I get this letter from MCO (medical college of ohio) saying they're giving me some presidential scholarship where they would cover all tuition and fees for all four years of medical school. a freakin free ride. so im really sad and confused now and dont know waht to do. im from nyc originally and have lived there forever (minus HS) but i am an ohio resident (long story) and my parents now live in ohio. going to mco would totally suck bc i think toledo is pretty boringwith nothing to do. (and id need to learn to drive again blah) im a pretty crazy liberal east coast city kid and i doubt i'd get along with any of the students at mco, being they are mostly in state. everyone i met during interviewing seemed real... midwest. i think boston is a great place and theres a lot of good research going on there and BU is a better school and i have a lot of friends there and its not too far from NYC. plus i want to practice on the east coast and i feel like residency matches are very regional. is that true? but everyone tells me i wont have time to do anything anyway so it doesnt matter where i go bc ill have no life (?) anyway i think id be really depressed if i went to school in ohio and if i did badly in school due to that then id lose the scholarship which would defeat the whole purpose (u have to maintain a high pass every semester). the free thing sounds great and ill be within driving distance of my fam (and my dad is sick etc) so im torn, guys. can you please help? i think id be happier in boston but its expensive- is that selfish of me? *siiigh* :( :(

Well, I grew up in Toledo and have to agree, there isn't much to do there. It one of the biggest reasons why I am in Cleveland now. The people are typically anti-gay, anti-evolution, pro-smoking, and pro-Bush....but in the academic world there tend to be more liberals so maybe you'd get along okay. One nice thing about Toledo compared to Cleveland is that you can go to cultural events such as the opera, symphony and plays in Toledo for MUCH less than what it costs in Cleveland. It seems like when I visit Boston having fun and going out costs even more. I would definitely prefer Boston over Toledo, though. The opportunites for research are better in Boston and I imagine the education is better.

Unfortunately, in your case, there is a scholarship involved. Personally, I just don't think I could turn down a free ride to medical school. Even if it meant moving back to t-town.

If your dad is sick you may regret not being close to home. I live several states away from my folks and it is just awful knowing that my mom is sick and I can't visit her when the days are particularly bad. I can only send emails, and flowers and make phone calls. This isn't the same as being there to hug here and tell her "I love you".

I don't envy you in this decision. Good luck.

hi guys i really appreciate your comments. i know the midwest is how the majority of america is (Scary?) and perhaps its good to experience more ways of thought, dont think im close minded for a second. i went to high school in ohio and it was the worst experience of my life. it was just ME really, nothing wrong w the midwest, no offence to anyone. the people there were totally homogenous and conservative in my opinion. hated it and did not fit in. i thought the kids at mco were totally corny (No pun intended) and boring. the doctors i met were really cool tho. one dude even sent me a handwritten letter and stuff. toledo seems liek a place i could really concentrate in though bc theres nothing to do. im just worried id get depressed and do badly in school and lose the shoclarship. i dont like having all that pressure on me. i however, hate the midwest. but its school right? ugh.
yeah and loco loki i know i have speling and p!unc?tuation misteaks haha but its just sdn forums not my amcas essay ;) right!?,.
do you guys think residency match lists are mainly regional? its eems alot of boston U kids get NYC residneceisa nd yea i wanna practice in nyc eventually (or maybe cali) waht do u think
and thank yuou very much fora ll your help
sorry i type rfast and theres ltos of mistakes

Take your letter stating your scholarship from MCO to the BU people. Tell them you're dying to go to BU, but that it is just so hard for you to overlook the financial aspect of your decision. I'm confident you can get them to at least sweeten the deal for you to attend BU. Although it will still probably cost significantly more to go to BU, it will give you peace of mind and at least that added push to attend the school you clearly want to go to. Go with your heart. Good luck bud

I have lived in Ohio for my entire life and I have always found plenty of non-stereoptypical midwestern people to hang out with. We're not all republicans! Almost half of us voted for Kerry in the past election! I go to Case Western in Cleveland and have never been to Toledo, so I don't know much about the city, but I would bet that you will find people you like at MCO. If I were you, I would take the free money and stay near my family. Win-win.

Holy Toledo!

It sounds like you want to go to Boston. 4 years really isn't that long of time and it will pass pretty fast. But if you think you'll be happier in Boston then maybe it's worth it to you to be poor a little longer. If you plan on having a family soon I think you should go with Ohio, but otherwise it's up to you.

I'm originally from a small suburb right outside Boston, and I can imagine what a tough choice that is. However, I'd probably choose Ohio, just because you're talking a $200k difference (that is, unless you can do what dannyl said). If you can get even a half scholarship from BU, I think it's the better choice, but otherwise go with Ohio. You may even enjoy the slower pace of life there- I know I've enjoyed small town life as an undergrad, despite having lived in the northeast all my life.

What are the bad midwest stereotypes? I've lived in OH my whole life. :D But yeah, OH is fine. I mean Toledo wouldn't be my TOP choice of cities in OH to live in for 4 yrs but when you consider that debt...I don't know. Saving tons of $$$ and i do mean tons or location? In 4 years you'll be done anyway. I don't think residency placement is super-regional at all...What are you looking to go into? You make your own destiny and if you perform well in school and on step one you'll get where you want to be most likely unless you want derm or something like that. If your dad is sick you may want to be close, maybe more in 2 yrs than you do right now. I don't know, OH is NOT bad. 4 season weather..Your first year you'll do things w/ your class and 2nd year you'll pry just study nonstop. Then 3rd and 4th yr come when no one's really doing anything anyway then you're outta there. Just being devils advocate and saying no loans is a huge thing and BU is super expensive. But of course if you come from $$$ or something like that, it would change the issue. There are lots of Cali people in MCO's class I think too so it isn't ALL just Midwest. I might be there in fall of 06 and I'm a super fun girl ;)

I can sympathize with your dilemma. I loved BU and the idea of being in a big city throughout the next four years. Play around with this financial aid caluclator though. It's pretty scary thinking about how much you will have to pay per month after taking out $200,000+. Good luck with your decision!!!

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/loanpayments.phtml

Hallm_7 said:
I'll be at MCO starting this fall, and I can't wait to start. Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe it would be good for you to get out of the Northeast and see the "real world" that the vast majority of Americans live in. It'll open your eyes to a different way of thinking besides that "crazy liberal east coast city kid" way of thinking.

But whatever you do, don't think this scholarship puts you in a bad position. Most people would kill to have the choice that you do.

I live in Oklahoma and I am very liberal relative to the majority of the population. I've seen the way the "vast majority of Americans live" as you are referring and I still hold "crazy liberal" beliefs. There are people like me that live in predominantly conservative areas, but you, the op will definately be in the minority. I guess it depends on how tolerant you can be of opposing view points (or at least how long you can stand it). I won't lie, sometimes its hard when faced with such adament opposition. I have chosen to stay in this part of the country because I like the pace, the friendliness of the region. If you really think that you'd be happier somewhere else, don't put a price tag on it. Like she said, it will definately broaden your experience with people and communities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grr, you are a funny, funny man. But anyway, I shouldn't have been so hard on MCO. When I went though, some d00d interviewed me and told me how much the place sucked, and how I should probably go somewhere else. He even insulted the students, to the point I had to defend them against his rather idiotic attacks on them, but I digress. Just that interview left a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth.
It's a perfect place to do family practice IMO, but I have to say again, research is nil. If you cared about that, that is. And it seems you don't, so no harm there. I can't imagine matching is all that great, but high boards can make up for that, right?

acidhouse303 said:
yeah and loco loki i know i have speling and p!unc?tuation misteaks haha but its just sdn forums not my amcas essay ;) right!?,.
do you guys think residency match lists are mainly regional? its eems alot of boston U kids get NYC residneceisa nd yea i wanna practice in nyc eventually (or maybe cali) waht do u think
and thank yuou very much fora ll your help
sorry i type rfast and theres ltos of mistakes

Loco,
I think you may have had an interviewer who was purposefully trying to rattle you and confuse you. MCO isn't really focused on FP.....only 40-45% of the students match into primary care (incl. peds, IM, FP, and OB/GYN) while the rest specialize. Looking at past match lists MCO always has a neurosurgery, urology, ENT, derm, anes., rads, and ortho mathes. And while there may not be as much research going on at MCO as there is at Case or Ohio State, it's probably pretty typical for the average medical school. Having spent quite a bit of time at MCO and reading up on things, they have several very strong programs. Their orthopedic department is one of the top in the country and one of the most publsihed. The urology, oncology, and cardiology are also all very strong and respected nationwide. MCO is also the leading institution for a nationwide paired-kidney transplant program which has been getting quite a bit of national media attention.

I say this not to try and prove that MCO is a better school than school X, but simply to say that you have just as good a chance at MCO to accomplish whatever you want as you do at most any other school (outside of the very top like Harvard, WashU, and Hopkins). People in this forum typically think the school has a lot more to do with matching than any resident or practicing physician I've ever talked to about it says it does. The OP should go wherever he/she will be the happiest, but I think it's a misconception that BU will offer more chances to achieve a top residency spot than MCO or that a BU physician is more qualified than an MCO physician.

I <3 google scholar; found a decent amount of good work in Oncology from MCO. In any case, I suppose I just have a sour memory that tainted everything to an extent. Still, I think that was unacceptable behavior by the interviewer; I'd never call my own students stupid or dull. That reflected a tad bit badly on the school as well, that and a few other factors.

But to the op, I say listen to Hallm.

Loco,
I agree completely with you that the interviewer was out of line...even if he/she didn't mean it. One of my interviews there was amazing while the other was VERY odd. He literally turned his back to me by swivelling (sp?) his chair around so he could type charts or something on his computer. Luckily I had a good first interview, or I'm sure I would have been completely turned off by MCO as well.

Yeech, I have no memory of the second one; it lasted all of 10 minutes, the lady had to rush to a final she was taking for her Masters in something or other...

Hallm_7 said:
Loco,
I agree completely with you that the interviewer was out of line...even if he/she didn't mean it. One of my interviews there was amazing while the other was VERY odd. He literally turned his back to me by swivelling (sp?) his chair around so he could type charts or something on his computer. Luckily I had a good first interview, or I'm sure I would have been completely turned off by MCO as well.

Loco Loki said:
Grr, you are a funny, funny man. But anyway, I shouldn't have been so hard on MCO. When I went though, some d00d interviewed me and told me how much the place sucked, and how I should probably go somewhere else. He even insulted the students, to the point I had to defend them against his rather idiotic attacks on them, but I digress. Just that interview left a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth.
It's a perfect place to do family practice IMO, but I have to say again, research is nil. If you cared about that, that is. And it seems you don't, so no harm there. I can't imagine matching is all that great, but high boards can make up for that, right?

why assume that im a man? everyone does, must be this s/n. anyway, that sounds like a terrible interview. why would you assume i dont care about research? ive been pretty involved in research in fact i did a ****load during undergrad at the big red and i did graduate school research. i was thinking of continuing during med school and felt that bu would have alot more options. i was thinking maaaybe mstp... does anyone know if BU mstp pays only for hte phd part or the md part? i dont want to do gp or fam med, def some kind of specialty but i dont know which.. i dont know if going to mco would hinder that... i feel like more ppl from bu have matched in residency programs in nyc which is where i wanna be (its home baby!) god i have to make the decision THIS WEEK basically and it sucks! :( seems like al ot of you ar sauyin go for the $ but the thing is, u have to maintain a HIGH PASS in every class every semester for the scholarship...its a lotof pressure and if i hate the place and get depressed ill def do awful and then lose the scholarship and feel even worse about not goin to boston. wtf :(

anyway as dannyl and others have said, do you really think taking my scholarship letter from mco and faxing it to bu nad talkin to them about it, do you think theyd even care or listen to me ? i mean i wouldnt even know the first thing to say. who should i talk to? the dean of admissions/ the admissions office/financial aid office? i wonder if that would even work or theyd be like hey, we got mad ppl off the WL who would love your spot so get out :( blaaah what do u think & thanks

Seriously though consider how LUCKY you are to even have acceptances. The high pass thing would play into it for me. That's a hard thing to do, getting high passes in everything. I don't know. You just have to decide. It seems like you want BU. So do that! You'll pay off the loans, everyone does.

acidhouse303 said:
anyway as dannyl and others have said, do you really think taking my scholarship letter from mco and faxing it to bu nad talkin to them about it, do you think theyd even care or listen to me ? i mean i wouldnt even know the first thing to say. who should i talk to? the dean of admissions/ the admissions office/financial aid office? i wonder if that would even work or theyd be like hey, we got mad ppl off the WL who would love your spot so get out :( blaaah what do u think & thanks
try it. what's the worst that could happen? fax, send, call, whatever. i bet they will want you even more after that. they're not going to revoke your acceptance or anything. just try it.

It seems like you really really really don't want to go there, and so don't. A free ride is great, but if you really think you are going to hate it, then it is your right to go off to BU and be in debt. Yes, it would be easier in OH, but clearly you would rather not be there.

Also, I would be concerned about the requirements of the scholarship - just thinking about med school for myself, the idea of having to maintain a high pass would completely freak me out. Does MCO have 1 or two grades above that? Personally (if they only have one grade above it) I would assume I would never get above a high pass simply because curves are funny things and med school seems scary, and that means you would never be able to get just a pass in a class. Without knowing how hard med school actually is, it seems like it would be hard to go in knowing that in order ti maintain money (the ONLY reason you are there), you have to maintain grades. I don't know if i would feel comfortable knowing that at any moment i could slip, loose the money, and then have no reason to be at the school. that combined with the fact that you think you will hate the school is reason enough not to go.

Seems like you started this thread to get validation in a decision to turn down money - so go ahead, do it. you are the one who has to live with the consequnses (Debt), and really, money isn't all that important in the end anyway... don't go somewhere you know you will hate simply to go through the excersice (as others have mentioned - like a reality check?), unless you can find reasons that MCO will be a good place for you, then it's not worth the free ride.

myodana said:
try it. what's the worst that could happen? fax, send, call, whatever. i bet they will want you even more after that. they're not going to revoke your acceptance or anything. just try it.

guess its worth a shot. should i fax it to office of admissions, dean of the ad com (wixburg?) financial aid? i dont knwo where to begin
thanks

guys i really appreciate your well thought out advice... it seems my heart isnt set on ohio but i feel so selfish turning this down
i think high pass is the highest grade and i sure as hell aint a model student so its an enormous amt of pressure and if i lost the scholarship.. that would defeat the whole purpose in teh 1st place

Medikit said:
Holy Toledo!

It sounds like you want to go to Boston. 4 years really isn't that long of time and it will pass pretty fast. But if you think you'll be happier in Boston then maybe it's worth it to you to be poor a little longer. If you plan on having a family soon I think you should go with Ohio, but otherwise it's up to you.

Im not planning on having a family any time soon... and hopefully never haha. but why would u say go to ohio if u want a fam? just curious?
also it seems like everyone at MCO was married or something! weird! i wonder if ppl actually hang out or party there (like theres anything to do) but i felt like it was some weird commuter place plus i dont drive so id have to learn if i went there :(

Embily123 said:
Also, I would be concerned about the requirements of the scholarship - just thinking about med school for myself, the idea of having to maintain a high pass would completely freak me out. Does MCO have 1 or two grades above that? Personally (if they only have one grade above it) I would assume I would never get above a high pass simply because curves are funny things and med school seems scary, and that means you would never be able to get just a pass in a class. Without knowing how hard med school actually is, it seems like it would be hard to go in knowing that in order ti maintain money (the ONLY reason you are there), you have to maintain grades. I don't know if i would feel comfortable knowing that at any moment i could slip, loose the money, and then have no reason to be at the school. that combined with the fact that you think you will hate the school is reason enough not to go.

hey yea so there is honors, high pass, pass and fail
thats a lot of pressure
BU 1st year is p/f 2nd year is h/p/f
how do they even grade the 3rd and 4th anywhere i wonder ?
thanks

acidhouse303 said:
Im not planning on having a family any time soon... and hopefully never haha. but why would u say go to ohio if u want a fam? just curious?
also it seems like everyone at MCO was married or something! weird! i wonder if ppl actually hang out or party there (like theres anything to do) but i felt like it was some weird commuter place plus i dont drive so id have to learn if i went there :(

I think he meant if you want to start a family soon, it would be more important to avoid debt and live in a place where the cost of living is low. Since this is not your situation, you have more freedom to choose an expensive option. It sounds like you'd find a better fit in Boston. Money is great, but it isn't everything, and if everything else is pointing you in one direction, don't ignore that just for money.

you've already already made your decision. If you aren't going to be happy in Ohio, don't go there. Boston is a great place, I grew up here and have been working here at Dana Farber. Its a fun, clean, beautiful city, and if you already know you want to be here, don't worry about the money. You were already planning on making the investment.

Being happy is more important than anything!! especially money

acidhouse303 said:
..... :( seems like al ot of you ar sauyin go for the $ but the thing is, u have to maintain a HIGH PASS in every class every semester for the scholarship...its a lotof pressure and if i hate the place and get depressed ill def do awful and then lose the scholarship and feel even worse about not goin to boston. wtf :(

Sounds to me like you will be happier in Boston.... I can certainly understand not wanting to be in a place you dislike.

I am probably the cheapest penny-pinching tightwad on the planet, so it would be hard for me to turn down cash, I's even hard for me to type it, BUT you have to be happy. :cool:

High Pass in every clas to keep the scholarship? Wow. :eek:

I've pretty much decided that I want a life in med school so I will leave the high honors and stuff to the gunners. A 79, 89 or 99 simple means I studied 9 point too much! :D

Show BU the scholarship letter, Maybe they'll come up with a few more ducats! :p

sunnyjohn said:
High Pass in every clas to keep the scholarship? Wow. :eek:

I've pretty much decided that I want a life in med school so I will leave the high honors and stuff to the gunners. A 79, 89 or 99 simple means I studied 9 point too much! :D
p

hey sunny john, yea isnt that ridiculous, high pass in every class? thats kinda out of control and im not a gunner or overacheiver. im shocked i even got a scholarship im a huge slacker. i think it would be so hard to maintain that avg that id def lose the skalaship and then there would be no reason for me to be in school there. i think i will stick w bu but damn teh loans.. the loans!!! :(:(

acidhouse303 said:
hey sunny john, yea isnt that ridiculous, high pass in every class? thats kinda out of control and im not a gunner or overacheiver. im shocked i even got a scholarship im a huge slacker. i think it would be so hard to maintain that avg that id def lose the skalaship and then there would be no reason for me to be in school there. i think i will stick w bu but damn teh loans.. the loans!!! :(:(

See if Boston will give you a deal but I think you should attend Boston no matter what. You should have said you had to maintain a High Pass in your first thread. Medical school is a rough ride, why put more anxiety on your back?

Also I can see that you are not an overacheiver and a slacker but could you at least take the time to run your posts through Word first? Thanks.

Freakingout said:
See if Boston will give you a deal but I think you should attend Boston no matter what. You should have said you had to maintain a High Pass in your first thread. Medical school is a rough ride, why put more anxiety on your back?

Also I can see that you are not an overacheiver and a slacker but could you at least take the time to run your posts through Word first? Thanks.

wjhy is everyone so critical of my grammar and punctuation. i like to type fast and just get everything out doing lots of things at once.
im not applying for a job here, just posting thoughts. its like instant messaging. is it really that distracting ??

Being a 2nd year at MCO, I feel like I need to clear a few things up. Congrats on the scholarship! Most students across the country are very envious of your position. Yes, we do party in Toledo. The students are very laid back and there are many drinks consumed, flag football games, golfing, etc. on a regular basis. You worry about not keeping a high pass avg. There is a reason why you were offered the $. You WILL maintain it. I haven't heard of someone with the Pres. scholarship who hasn't. I was originally from Mass., so I understand your worries, but Toledo is a liberal city. This place is ran by unions. To worry about not being able to relate to your classmates is a closed-minded view. Over 1/4 of your class will be out-of-staters, and you many of those will be from Cali. To stereotype midwesterners into a group of people that won't be your friends is absurd. Who knows, in four years some of your best friends may be from OH. You also have the opportunity to do research at MCO. Quite a few of my classmates and I have published papers since coming here. Dr. Jacobs(President) has brought in many new people who are beefing up clinical research in many of our departments. And we matched 4 derms, 10 rad, etc. in the 2005 match. The majority were matched outside of OH. We match students every year throughout the nation in all specialties. You can match in anything you want and go back to the northeast(assuming you do well). I would take the $$. But you must consider your happiness. If you are too worried about the "unknown" and being uncomfortable, go to BU. It's a good position to be in. Good luck!

mazerati im going to PM u

Location matters. Yea, you won't have much time to hang out, but when you do get that precious chunk of free time, do you want to go outside and see interesting people and things, or corn and cows. Not to hate on the midwest, but if you're form NYC, it sucks. In fact, even other major cities seem provincial and dead after New York. You can always repay loans, so just go with whatever place will give you the quality and pace of life you want.

just as a warning: the NYC --> Boston adjustment is particularly hard. I had to make the adjustment myself last year (and my college roommate moved to Boston this year from NYC and had the same problem). I'd give it about 3-4 months before you start giving Boston a proper chance.

I imagine the adjustment will be even more difficult going to Ohio.

I heard this on some tv show somewhere, but it struck me as extraordinarily funny (and extraordinarily true).

"I'm a New Yorker. This means I'm genetically engineered to hate any place that isn't Manhattan."

Honestly, you've made your decision so now you can go to BU but never complain about your debt :) It really just depends on what kind of person you are and the importance you place on various things so no one here is really gonna help you make the decision...which again, you've already made. See I'm really a 'make the best out of it' kind of person so I think I could choose MCO over BU and suck up the location issue...Actually I would probably prefer MCO b/c you could get a nicer apt for your $$$ than in Boston I would assume. But honestly, it seems like location is super-important to you and that's fine. It really isn't that sh***y of a position to be in, so take the ego-boost, go to BU, and pay off your loans once you're out like everyone else does.

Can i ask what kind of #'s get you a full ride at MCO? Just curious :)

acidhouse303 said:
why assume that im a man? everyone does, must be this s/n. anyway, that sounds like a terrible interview. why would you assume i dont care about research? ive been pretty involved in research in fact i did a ****load during undergrad at the big red and i did graduate school research. i was thinking of continuing during med school and felt that bu would have alot more options. i was thinking maaaybe mstp... does anyone know if BU mstp pays only for hte phd part or the md part? i dont want to do gp or fam med, def some kind of specialty but i dont know which.. i dont know if going to mco would hinder that... i feel like more ppl from bu have matched in residency programs in nyc which is where i wanna be (its home baby!) god i have to make the decision THIS WEEK basically and it sucks! :( seems like al ot of you ar sauyin go for the $ but the thing is, u have to maintain a HIGH PASS in every class every semester for the scholarship...its a lotof pressure and if i hate the place and get depressed ill def do awful and then lose the scholarship and feel even worse about not goin to boston. wtf :(

BU doesn't have MSTP, which is NIH funded, they have MD/PhD. The PhD years are fully covered and the MD tuition is 1/3-1/2 covered. Consequently it's not as competitive to get into but BU has lots of good research going on.

If 50% of your classmates in Ohio voted for Bush, that is a *a lot*. I live in Boston and I don't know one person here who voted republican. It sounds like professionally and socially BU is the better choice. When you are stuck in Ohio stressed and bored the money you're saving probably won't make you feel that much better.

What's so wrong w/ voting republican? :)

I think if you're going to be miserable for four years in Toledo then you should definitely go to Boston. Toledo is a large metro area of about a million people, so there's plenty of stuff to do, but still not as much to do as in Boston. This may make a huge difference to you, and if it does then you should go where you'll be happy. This is at least four years of your life, and spending that time being unhappy isn't a good idea b/c you can't place a price tag on happiness. You also won't perform as well in the classroom if you're unhappy, so your unhappiness could affect what you can do later on as well. Good luck with whatever you do.

Acherona said:
If 50% of your classmates in Ohio voted for Bush, that is a *a lot*. I live in Boston and I don't know one person here who voted republican. It sounds like professionally and socially BU is the better choice. When you are stuck in Ohio stressed and bored the money you're saving probably won't make you feel that much better.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but your attitude about politics sucks. Saying BU is better prefessionally and socially because no one voted republican is arrogant and demeaning to conservatives across the country. It's wrong to label someone as being ignorant or unsophisticated because of their voting patterns. I'm betting you demand tolerance and acceptance of liberals by conservatives, so you should also demand tolerance and acceptance of conservatives by liberals. Making statements like you just made is neither tolerant nor accepting IMO.

I'm also starting at MCO this fall, and I think that you should really think over spending the extra $150,000+ at BU (once you consider the HUGE cost of living, parking, etc not to mention potential commuting time every day if you don't drive). Right now it looks like you're just assuming that everyone at the school is going to be a boring, corn-farming, overall-wearing Republican Mid-Westerner ,which is far from the truth. There's a large number of out-of-staters, especially from Cali, who go to MCO and those I have had a chance to meet don't seem to have a problem with the school and people. I myself am a non-liberal from a very liberal part of New York and have never found myself being so different from my friends/peers that I can't get along with them. Your political views are just one part of your personality, and shouldn't make or break friendships, much less stop you from going to a particular school and giving up a free ride. If anything, let any residency and curriculum differences make your decision, not assumptions of other people. Just my 2 cents.... :)

Hallm_7 said:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but your attitude about politics sucks. Saying BU is better prefessionally and socially because no one voted republican is arrogant and demeaning to conservatives across the country. It's wrong to label someone as being ignorant or unsophisticated because of their voting patterns. I'm betting you demand tolerance and acceptance of liberals by conservatives, so you should also demand tolerance and acceptance of conservatives by liberals. Making statements like you just made is neither tolerant nor accepting IMO.

what?! :confused: I only meant to imply that BU would be better socially *for acidhouse* because acidhouse is liberal and there are more liberals in Boston. Geez. I didn't pass any judgement on people who vote Republican and I certainly wouldn't disagree that tolerance is important though it is a complete non sequitur from my post. Personally, I would prefer to live in a community where I can easily find other people who share my basic beliefs and it looks like acidhouse feels the same way.

Right on. I'm not even huge into politics and that post left a bad taste in my mouth.

:laugh: What amuses me about all of these people who just HAVE to be in a big city spend the majority of their free time in bars (not reffering to the OP specifically). Okay, maybe they have really cool lighting and bar stools. Maybe the sofa is PURPLE! But the drinks are twice as much and the liquor is the same everywhere. Or they MIGHT (once in a blue moon) go to the symphony or opera, which it appears Toledo has, anyway. Given the knowledge of opera that most people have, it's really not going to make that much difference whether they go to Toledo or the Met. But whatever.

Sure, there's an energy to a city. But man, you're going to be a broke medical school student. You can't afford to eat out that much (or you'll be paying for it dearly down the road). Scalpers will kill you for a game at Fenway. Screw the BoSox. Go see the Mud Hens, right? ;)

I just think the city thing could be overplayed, especially if there is a large undergraduate population nearby.

And perish the thought of living amidst *gasp* REAL Americans. Read: conservatives. :laugh:

Go go Boston, dude. It's obvious you're not going to let yourself be happy anywhere else. And yes, it is a choice.

You obviously want to go to BU and not MCO. Go to BU. You only live once. You only attend med school once. Do it right.

Hallm_7 said:

Actually the "vast majority" of people live on the east and west coasts of this country.

boston has a better house scene.

I'm from Toledo, and I voted Republican. That's right, **** all you bitches. :smuggrin:

Seriously though, some of the comments on this thread are so ******ed I almost fell out of my chair. For example:

It's a perfect place to do family practice IMO, but I have to say again, research is nil.

Yeah, whatever. :thumbdown: I did 2 summer research projects at MCO. There is no shortage of research going on at MCO. Also, there all kinds of doctors practicing in the city and its suburbs. My Dad is a specialist, so I actually know something about the medical system there. Seriously, if you don't know what you are talking about, don't bother trying to give people advice by confidently pulling such "facts" out of your anus.

Toledo is not the greatest city in the world, but it's not the worst. I don't have a lot of friends who still live there, but that said when I'm back in town I have no trouble finding ways to keep myself amused.

Maybe you would pay $200,000 to live in Boston, but I would not. Good luck with that, BTW.

i withdrew from my state school pre-interview so I could avoid having to make this decision. While my state school would provide a wonderful education, living in its location would not have worked for me.

you'll pay back the money eventually.