I have a blog with some information about being an OMS 1 (osteopathic medical student - I)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksmustang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember when I was applying to medical school I had one million and one questions. Here is a blog I write that may be able to give some insight into what it is like to be in medical school.

http://hard-luck.net/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
^yall should definitely follow ksmustang - one of the coolest med students you'll ever have the chance to meet. His blog will be a lot of fun to follow and learn from for sure

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@ksmustang I read your blog. Pretty interesting stuffs.

I have a question for you. I'm a new student in BJJ and I enjoy it tremendously. I'm worried that I won't have time for that kind of stuff come med school. Do you have least an hour or two a week to practice your MMA? or you use that time to relax and have fun?

Good read. I will be starting up a blog for this fall when I start school too
I remember when I was applying to medical school I had one million and one questions. Here is a blog I write that may be able to give some insight into what it is like to be in medical school.

!

Any know of other similar blogs?

@ksmustang I read your blog. Pretty interesting stuffs.

I have a question for you. I'm a new student in BJJ and I enjoy it tremendously. I'm worried that I won't have time for that kind of stuff come med school. Do you have least an hour or two a week to practice your MMA? or you use that time to relax and have fun?

I still practice and compete. I just took gold at NAGA this weekend! I can still make about 5 days a week if I am careful with my time budgeting. I don't spend a lot of time on anything besides studying and BJJ/MMA though i.e. TV, going out on weekends, etc. Second year will be more of a challenge apparently. Some friends of mine in 2nd year said some months they can make 1 day/week, other months aren't as bad. Jiujitsu and medicine both seem to be a marathon not a sprint. As long as you know you're in it for the long haul and always make your return to jiujitsu when you can, I think you'll be good!

There are several med student bloggers on tumblr as well (just look up 'medblrs') such as aspiringdoctors, ladykay, etc. @Bones 2020

I still practice and compete. I just took gold at NAGA this weekend! I can still make about 5 days a week if I am careful with my time budgeting. I don't spend a lot of time on anything besides studying and BJJ/MMA though i.e. TV, going out on weekends, etc. Second year will be more of a challenge apparently. Some friends of mine in 2nd year said some months they can make 1 day/week, other months aren't as bad. Jiujitsu and medicine both seem to be a marathon not a sprint. As long as you know you're in it for the long haul and always make your return to jiujitsu when you can, I think you'll be good!

Great job. Congratulation on your gold. You're one tough cookie. I'm glad to hear you're still able to work on that skill set. Maybe I can do that as well in the future with my BJJ. I'm kinda worried for your match though. There are a lot of risks concerning real match. Aren't you worried that they can affect your med school? Currently, I'm just practicing but I do have some thoughts in competing after awhile. Those worries do occur to me.

Great job. Congratulation on your gold. You're one tough cookie. I'm glad to hear you're still able to work on that skill set. Maybe I can do that as well in the future with my BJJ. I'm kinda worried for your match though. There are a lot of risks concerning real match. Aren't you worried that they can affect your med school? Currently, I'm just practicing but I do have some thoughts in competing after awhile. Those worries do occur to me.

I've been wrestling since I was a kid, practicing BJJ for about 5 years now. I also fought in the cage under amateur MMA rules. I definitely still get worried before any combat sport event, but the worry isn't about bodily injury, I get nervous to perform badly. There is a common philosophy in these sports that if you are scared you will get hurt easier. In BJJ certainly bad things can happen, but in 99.9% of all scenarios in BJJ, in the worst case scenario, simply tap and you'll be fine. As we say when you find yourself in a submission scenario: snap, nap, or tap, choice is yours haha.

You are a beautiful writer. Thank you for sharing your blog.

I was really afraid this was going to be another typical, very pessimistic "medical school is terribly hard and torture" post, but I was very pleasantly surprised :) Followed!

I recently got accepted to an OMS (literally 10 days ago) and immediately followed. Great stuff, keep it up!

Reactions: 1 users
Very insightful, thank you! I totally understand what you mean.. Hopefully I can always remember to stop for even just a moment to reflect back and appreciate everything I have, especially during trying times that are no doubt ahead of me. Thanks!